The Diamond Rate: The Finale

Cuckoo!

Rate.jpg

Marina Lambrini Diamandis better known by her stage name Marina and the Diamonds, is a Welsh singer-songwriter. Born in Brynmawr and raised in nearby Pandy, she performed for choir productions in her childhood. In 2009, Diamandis came to prominence after being ranked in second place on the Sound of 2010 poll organised by the BBC.

Diamandis' debut studio album The Family Jewels (2010) incorporates indie pop and new wave musical styles, and entered the UK Albums Chart at number five. Its second single "Hollywood" peaked at number 12 on the UK Singles Chart. Her follow-up recordElectra Heart (2012) integrates prominent elements of electropop, and became her first number-one project in the United Kingdom. Its lead single "Primadonna" stands as her highest-charting track in the country after reaching number 11. Diamandis' pop-inspired third studio album Froot (2015) became her third top-ten album in the United Kingdom, and her first top-ten entry on the U.S.Billboard 200.

Diamandis has described herself as an "indie artist with pop goals" and often analyses components of human behaviour in her music. She is additionally recognised for her retro and cartoonish fashion styles.

wikipedia

But you knew all that already didn't you? Welcome to the Diamond Rate, where the PJ collective of Marina's Diamonds will rate her discography and see what comes out on top. The rules are simple, PM the list of tracks below and give each a score between 0-10 while selecting one track to be given the ever important 11, half points are permitted and commentary is encouraged. The voting period will last until midnight US central time Sunday the 26th. Should this timeline be too short I may extend it, however at three albums Marina's discography is hardly a big undertaking.

But let's talk about the music. I fell in love with Marina the second I saw her Hollywood music video on MuuMuuse's blog. I was a junior in high school and the perfect age to fall in love with an album like The Family Jewels. Early in my stages of pop adoration I had fallen for albums that put forth a strong sense of identity, albums like Love. Angel. Music. Baby. and Folklore left me spellbound in their ability to hosts catchy songs that truly put across where the artist was in life when they pressed record; this is where Marina comes in as identity is the common thread that holds her three albums together.

Her debut is the sound of an early 20 something steadfast in her identity and as a result the record is sprawling in it's statements, strong in it's delivery, messy and conflicting in it's ideals and ultimately captivating. She demanded success while lampooning the very industry she wished to conquer, she proudly proclaimed herself to be robotic in her ambition while begging to be seen as human and she laid claim to her destiny while being lost at a fork in the road. Her next step was Electra Heart which had a sonic overhaul to match the new celluloid persona Marina developed and projected archetypes of the American woman onto. Her new identity was hiding behind everything she claimed to despise but also seemingly wanted in on. With her most recent release she clearly seemed relieved to rid herself of the blonde wig and pop star dreams, now she's content in her lack of certainty and finds pleasure not in her former sky high ambitions but in the process of creating. The identity she's put forth has come full circle and made a strong trio of albums that are nothing if not an engaging listen.

Now, let's get on with it shall we? Here's what we are rating:

The Family Jewels
220px-Marina_and_the_Diamonds_-_The_Family_Jewels.png

1. Are You Satisfied?
  2. Shampain
  3. I Am Not a Robot
  4. Girls
  5. Mowgli's Road
  6. Obsessions
  7. Hollywood
  8. The Outsider
  9. Hermit the Frog
  10. Oh No!
  11. Rootless
  12. Numb
  13. Guilty
  14. The Family Jewels

Bonus tracks

Seventeen
Space and the Woods

Electra Heart
220px-Marina_and_the_Diamonds_-_Electra_Heart.png

1. Bubblegum Bitch
  2. Primadonna
  3. Lies
  4. Homewrecker
  5. Starring Role
  6. The State of Dreaming
  7. Power & Control
  8. Living Dead
  9. Teen Idle
  10. Valley of the Dolls
  11. Hypocrates
  12. Fear and Loathing
  13. Radioactive
  14. Sex Yeah
  15. Lonely Hearts Club
  16. Buy The Stars

Bonus Tracks
How To Be a Heartbreaker
Just Desserts
Evol
Electra Heart

FROOT
220px-Marina_and_the_Diamonds_-_Froot_%28album%29.png

1. Happy
  2. Froot
  3. I'm A Ruin
  4. Blue
  5. Forget
  6. Gold
  7. Can't Pin Me Down
  8. Soltaire
  9. Better Than That
  10. Weeds
  11. Savages
  12. Immortal
Special shout out to Rashida for supplying me with spreadsheet and making my life so much easier.
Again, voting is open until Sunday the 26th at midnight US Central time.
Let's have fun guys!

Last edited:
Leaderboard.jpg

Mushroom
Tylerc904
The Almighty Aloud
Munro
One Stop Candy Shop
Mister Unicorn
ClockworkNovak
Fascination
Moon
lalaclairi_
Can't Speak French
GhettoPrincess
BeingBoring
Sparx100
DJ Hazey
Best Fiction
Vikeyole
Etienne
Pinkieshy
P'NutButter
Vixen
Filler
If You Go
Rdp
Robsolete
Ryjm
RunRocketBoy
Flapjack
CorgiCorgiCorgi
Daniel!
IAmMrDexB
Bichard
Jacques
Jonathan27
Markus1981
TheMerryGoRoundLife
PinkLadyisf
SophiaSophia
RJF
JuanJose
Sprockrooster
JoePassmore
Animalia
IttyBiggyPiggy
Heartswells
Beginner
Island
IMHO
AndyFrench
Number
Sexercise
Jersey
Aester

Last edited:
Ooh, I may take part in this. I can finally get round listening to the rest of Froot. There will be a few 10's flying around the first two albums.

Staff member
I'm A Ruin has to win.

I think my 11 however is going to go to a track on The Family Jewels....

Glad to see you'll be a part of this @2014, I'm perched to see where your 11 goes.

Also wasn't she born in Abergavenny? (I say that because I'm 90% sure she was born in the same hospital as I was)

That I am not sure of, the bit in italics is lifted from wikipedia so it could be inaccurate.

Seventeen was a bonus track for The Family Jewels??? I thought that was Rootless.

My 11 is from The Family Jewels, naturally.

My 11 is set in stone. The Family Jewels and Electra Heart will be a breeze to score but I'm not so sure about FROOT; I listened to the first two ad nauseam but haven't even touched FROOT in two months. There's songs I like there, too, but contrasting that against two full albums that I love. Hm.

Definitely taking part in this, and I'm actually not sure at all which song my 11 will go to, which is weird as I usually know pretty much straight away.

You missed a trick not calling the thread 'Rate-ioactive' though.

Hmm, I'm definitely taking part but I'm not sure where my 11 will go. All I really hope is that I'm a Ruin or Radioactive doesn't win. Both are great, neither are worthy of the top spot.

D

Deleted member 3416

I really wanna take part. I was hoping to avoid any rates for a while but this one needs to be done DAMNIT!

@Island Let me just stan right back at you sis, perched for your 11 and your commentary too.

Thus far my averages are
TFJ: 7.57
EH: 8.125
FROOT: 8.54
The amount of 10s I've thrown out are ridiculous.

he/him
The fact than I get to rate my favorite recent discovery (SEB) and one of my all-time favorites period (Marina) is mind boggling. Prepare for all 8+ averages and deciding between Hollywood, Primadonna, and I'm A Ruin for my 11 may end up having me arrested by the Pop Police for neglecting my children that didn't get picked.

I'm so glad it was you @Jwentz who requested to take Marina off my hands (my queue is ridiculous) -- it looks like you are going to honor her with full colors!

Last edited: