The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 104 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Depending on which half of The Lion King you mean, yeah, I could see this.

(...You don't mean "Be Prepared", do you?)

2. [​IMG]

Animalia likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You’re Welcome

Highest Score: 10 x4 (@DJHazey, @Sideout, @constantino, @MamaHazey)
    Lowest Score: 4 x1 (@Mushroom)
    My Score: 8.5

Moana being down to one track already is a disaster, but I guess this is the flipside of the usual recency bias we see in rates. How Far I’ll Go definitely deserves that crown, but You’re Welcome and An Innocent Warrior deserved at least Top 30, and the early voters knew it too; The Rock was sitting comfortably in the Top 20 for a wee while before the last minute rush, poor thing. This is song is just such a relentless tirade of stupid fun, isn’t it? It’s kind of iconic how ridiculously energetic and catchy this is, yet there’s still so much depth of meaning and technique underneath all the exaggerated braggadocio. Every single self-congratulatory tale Maui tells throughout the song is based on authentic Polynesian myth: lifting up the sky; lassoing the sun; pulling islands up from the sea; killing an eel to plant the first coconut tree; stealing fire from the underworld to give to man; there was so much thought and effort put into making sure every line of this song was respectful and accurate to the film’s thematic origin. Especially in the last example – in Hawaiian legend, the deity Mahuika supplied fire to mortals through her fingernails, and Maui’s tattoos in the film show her fingernails being extinguished as he steals the flame:

[​IMG]

The attention to detail in that respect for what is one of the most straightforwardly comedic scenes in the film is just staggering. Disney really did that. They even brought back legendary past 2D animators Eric Goldberg (Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hercules, etc.) and Mark Henn (The Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, The Lion King, Mulan, etc.) to animate Maui’s tattoos, which is honestly just cool as fuck. Anyway yes back to the song. Early drafts of the film had Moana giving Maui a musical pep-talk to boost his broken confidence in place of this song, but when Maui was re-written as a glorified sidekick with an ego problem, You’re Welcome was added in its place. Dwayne Johnson was nervous about living up to the expectations of a classic Disney song, but being a musical scholar and an all-round fantastic person, Lin-Manuel Miranda searched the depths of Youtube to find clips of his singing taunts during his wrestling days to get a feel for his vocal range and tailored the song specifically to his talents. King. Two more moments of Lin-Manuel-amazingness before I stop rambling and pass the mic to you lovely people. Firstable, the line “I’m sailing away, away, you’re welcome”, is a deliberate call back to the sailors’ “aue, aue” chants in We Know The Way; and secondable, the following line “’cause Maui can do anything but float” is a foreshadowing reference to his parents having thrown him into the sea as a child. THE ATTENTION TO DETAIL. I’m shook.

Let’s get this out of the way first. “The Rock sings now, too!?” asks iheartpoptarts, with Raichu hot on her heels: “Is this really Dwayne Johnson singing? This is kind of a bop.” He’s a man of many talents indeed. Eh send photo? “Oh shit Dwayne is actually singing this? **** daddy!” Usually I’d change it to slé for someone’s commentary but honestly I’m not sure that’s what you meant, so. Who wants some more people being surprised by The Rock? Good, ‘cause that’s pretty much all you’re getting. Sprockrooster is “Screaming at The Rock having such a fun bop!”, and eccentricsimply goes for a backhanded compliment: “I didn't know Dwayne could sing. I mean... ‘sing’.” Epic Chocolat credits him with “A surprisingly nice-sounding actor-singing voice.” though, and DJHazey was pleasantly surprised too: “‘When you're staring at a demigod’ into the chorus is quite spectacular considering I didn't expect something like this from Dwayne's voice. Two instant 10s... amazing movie I never thought I needed to see.” Everyone needs to see Moana. Immediately. constantino’s the last to be a bit shook by our multi-talented wrestling chanteuse: “What kind of viral smash?? The Rock has blown my expectations of him out of the water yet again, this knocks.” Out of the water. I see what you did there.

A few of weren’t quite so captivated by Maui’s storytime though. MollieSwift21 says “The chorus soars but the verses are kind of flat.”, and Mushroom claims it “Genuinely sounds like a Michael Bublé track.”, which I just realised I’m assuming was a negative but I’m not about to change it. kalonite took a while to warm to it: “I kind of low-key hated this coming out of the cinema. And then just couldn’t stop singing it. Turns out it’s actually kind of great? Like, really, really great?” My impacT. It was more insant for LKane though, even if there is a sketchy opinion in there too: “Catchy! The first time I listened to the soundtrack, this was the song that I liked the most, but then just realized that “Shiny” was better.” #71 vs. #35 suggests differently sis! I’ll let alanmr play us out this time, because I feel bad about how wrong Moana has been done so far. “Ego: The Movie. Is it weird that I wanna say ‘thank you’?”

On the contrary, y'all are not welcome for having me power through debilitating illness to deliver such a messy result.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    constantino, Serg., funkyg and 14 others like this.
  4. Not really a sad loss but it definitely is time for some Mermaid cuts

Stradiwhovius, Animalia and alanmr like this.
  5. It's far in enough that I don't quite want to layeth the smackethdown on your candy asses for dropping it (quality field right now), but still. It's just so delightfully fun, The Rock's struggle vocals and all - commitment makes up for a lot there. Plus, amazing tattoo animation, which might just be the best thing I've seen in a 10's Disney film.

(Yes, I know he's Dwayne Johnson now, don't care. He's The Rock, dammit.)

DJHazey, Animalia, aniraz and 2 others like this.
  6. Aww, man! I mean, 35 isn't a bad time for this to go, but the thought of only having How Far I'll Go left makes me sad, and you're all wrong for this. LEAVE IT ALONE.

Animalia likes this.
  7. NO!

[​IMG]

constantino, Serg., GimmeWork and 5 others like this.
  8. Get out.

Animalia and GhettoPrincess like this.
  9. Literally watching Moana right now, this song is so good so I'm glad it got as far as it did.

Also, Shiny is still #ThatBop so y'all haters can stay pressed.

kalonite, Animalia and alanmr like this.
  10. Mama this is garbage.

stuaw, Animalia and Holly Something like this.
  11. [​IMG]

Animalia and munro like this.
  12. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Of the movies with all their songs left I think Aladdin can start taking some cuts.

13. I can't remember everything word for word but here's one example without many words needed:

I mentioned that some people were starting to call for A Whole New World and she simply did that noise with her tongue that we call "giving someone raspberries"

It was like "WELL 'THAT NOISE' TO THEM!"

iheartpoptarts, Animalia and Mina like this.
  14. Despite popular opinion in this thread, I do have some taste so that got the 10 it deserves.

15. Yeah, I definitely think "One Jump Ahead" could go. But knowing my luck it's going to be "Friend Like Me".

Animalia and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  16. Your Fifth Harmony rate can't start soon enough. xx

17. Ooh, a Fifth Harmony rate? Sign me up @GhettoPrincess

18. Speaking of Fifth Harmony rate, I scored everything* a few days ago when I went out for a walk. That shows how much excited I am for it to start.

* As you probably know they only have twenty-something songs so it was a quick rate. And I gave 10/10s to half of the songs n n n.

Back to this rate : One Jump Ahead and Can You Feel The Love Tonight should go out before the top 30.

DJHazey, Ironheade and Animalia like this.
  19. Sis, have this bump.

Holly Something likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.