The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 106 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. HELLO. I am here.

But I wish I wasn't.

= 33rd

[​IMG]

Big Hero 6 (2014)

1 Point: @eccentricsimply

I hate that I have to do this now. I love and respect this film on so many levels, and if we had been voting for any more than our top five it would undoubtedly have seen some love from me, but alas. Big Hero 6 represents something so incredibly unique in the Disney animated movie canon in so many ways, I defy anyone not to give it the respect it deserves. Saccharine romantic musicals and typical not-your-typical-princess flicks be damned, the one-two-three punch of Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia was exactly the breath of fresh air that Disney needed to remind everyone that they have no competition. They can do it all. I mean yeah, generally speaking, Disney tend to stick to a few major themes in their animations. Y’know – friendship, romance, family, home, good vs. evil – the usual safe, kid-friendly subjects. But once in a while, they choose to explore something different, something deeper and more complex. In this case, Big Hero 6 is a film about loss. It’s a topic that was touched on with The Lion King and Tarzan too, but this time it’s not just a tragic backstory or an obstacle on the way to greatness; the entire film is about emotional trauma and the struggle to overcome immense grief. It deals with the dynamics of losing a loved one and the helplessness, anger and desperation a person experiences in those circumstances, all from the perspective of a thirteen-year-old boy. Of course, it's all wrapped up in an exciting, colourful action-packed comedy ribbon, but it's a difficult theme to get across in a kids’ film and Big Hero 6 manages it with nuance and respect. Thanks in no small part to an inflatable robot.

[​IMG]

I mean c’mon, we can’t ignore the giant vinyl elephant in the room – Baymax is one of, if not the most adorable Disney character ever created. How they managed to infuse so much emotion and personality into what’s essentially a balloon with no facial expressions and an extremely limited range of movements is beyond me. Every single animation and line of dialogue is sheer perfection from start to finish. Between moments of uncontrollable cackling every time he moves, I can feel my heart breaking into a million pieces with every blissfully ignorant joke and well-intended offer of support. He’s just so excruciatingly adorable y’all, I genuinely don’t have the emotional capacity to cope with it. Of course, there’s a lot to be said for the rest of the cast too. It’s no secret that Disney have had issues with racial representation in the past, but Big Hero 6 takes a damn good shot at rectifying that. We have Hiro, the bi-racial Japanese-American protagonist, ambitious and strong-hearted in the wake of tragedy; Wasabi, neurotic sensible and intelligent, black; Honey Lemon, actual bonafide chemistry genius serving killer lewks, Latina; GoGo, kick-ass, Korean; and Fred, the only white protagonist, who’s basically a parody of stoner culture, spends a lot of the movie completely hidden by a costume and is only really there for comic relief. Disney really did that.

[​IMG]

For every great Hiro (see what I did there?), there must be an equally strong villain. I shan’t spoil anything ‘cause it’s a ~mystery~ but basically all you need to know is that s/he is a trenchcoated, Kabuki-masked figure who can control millions of tiny robots with their mind, and that I – a 21-year-old at the time – was positively shook by how fucking creepy it was. Don't get me wrong, the characters aren't perfect (GoGo's gum-chewing, hair-dyed, attitude-problem femme fatale shtick is a tad clichéd), but overall they're a pretty fantastic, remarkably diverse ensemble of heroes. Oh, didn’t I mention? They’re also superheroes. Yeah, that’s about as subtly as it’s introduced in the film, too. I don’t mind though, the format doesn’t really allow for much more than a quick Fall Out Boy-soundtracked training montage and some fancy hi-tech suits before the action has to start. Usually I find the whole “Science is cool!!!” thing in films a bit embarrassing, but for some reason I really think it works here; science IS cool, dammit. Let them know. The film does, for a wee while, admittedly turn into the generic Marvel superhero film everyone expected when it was announced Disney would be animating one of their graphic novel series, but honestly Baymax the whole thing remains so utterly captivating and entertaining that it doesn’t feel reductive or even particularly “un-Disney” in the slightest. The magic is there, it’s just in a slightly different package.

Oh man I haven’t even mentioned the setting of the damn film. Big Hero 6 takes place in the year 2032, in the fictional city of San Fransokyo borne from an alternate reality in which San Francisco was destroyed by an earthquake in the early 20th century and rebuilt by Japanese immigrants using technology to prevent future disasters. The concept alone is cool as heck, but the execution… y’all. Disney gave the lead art direction and character design roles to half-Japanese Scott Watanabe and Korean Sang-Jin Kim, in an attempt to make sure the setting was brought to life in a respectful, detailed manner and oh boy did it pay off. This film is ridiculously beautiful; it stands proudly next to Moana as the most visually stunning 3D Disney animations. Every wide-shot of the city, every facial expression, every carefully choreographed movement in every fight scene – everything in this film is just immaculate. San Fransokyo is the perfect combination of its parent cities; a bustling metropolis of skyscrapers and tramlines, with glaring neon signs and TV screens on every building, the golden gate bridge looming in the distance and starkly contrasting rolling green hills beyond it. The care and attention taken to create such a wonderful, visceral world pulsating with so much life, culture and colour when it’s only properly shown off in one scene just shows how much love went into making this film.

[​IMG]

There are certain promises I expect any truly great Disney film to deliver on: visuals, theme, characterisation, humour, plot, emotion; Big Hero 6 doesn’t just pass each test, it fucking superhero-punches the competition out of the arena in basically every round. I haven’t even come close to doing it justice here, partly because a lot of the thematic and emotional pay-off comes from plot happenings I’d rather not spoil since clearly hardly any of you have seen the film (or maybe @eccentricsimply's just the only one of you with taste). I urge you all to watch it if you haven’t – or again if you have – it’s easily one of the most underrated, uniquely charismatic films Disney have put their name to, and it kills me to see it having suffered in the shadow of its behemoth predecessor. Do it. Do it for Baymax.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    constantino, Serg., Daniel! and 13 others like this.
  2. Ooh, you're going to hate me for this one.

Aside from Winnie the Pooh, there's two distinct classes of Disney film in the Lasseter era. First, there's the classicist princess musicals (The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen and Moana); then, there's the attempts at contemporary, self-aware things that don't really feel much like Disney (Bolt, Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia). Take three guesses which one I prefer by a country mile, and the first two don't count.

I mean, I didn't dislike Big Hero 6, not really. But it just feels... safe, I think is the word, both visually and plot-wise, trying to be all things to all people and sticking to both the modern Pixar and Marvel story beats to a T. The big exception is the interactions between Hiro and Baymax, which were very enjoyable, and the cast compensate a bit with fun personalities, but it can't lift this one out of the generic for me... honestly, I rewatch this one less than films that I would say I like less.

GimmeWork, alanmr and Animalia like this.
  3. I've seen it, and absolutely loved it. 2 things:

1 - I saw this in the cinema and I was crushing HARD on Tadashi, like, for reals.
    2 - Without going too much into it I relate to the loss in this film personally, they handle it really well.

4. OH I forgot I found this online kiiiiiii

[​IMG]

5. I really liked Big Hero 6 when I watched it, probably three years ago. Obviously it's impossible not to love Baymax and it gets a lot of points for the thematic thorough-lines, but I didn't really think it was amazing nor anything. Maybe I'll take your advice, watch it again, and come to love it.

Animalia likes this.
  6. I won't lie, I felt the same when I first saw it - really enjoyed it, came out smiling, bought the Blu-Ray on release, then it sat on a shelf unopened for years before we rewatched it a few months ago and I was blown away. I might just have been in a particularly emotional mood or something but it really hit me hard second time around and my love for it has only grown the more I think and read about it since then. I'd definitely recommend a rewatch!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    funkyg, GimmeWork and alanmr like this.
  7. Well, since I'm watching a lot of Disney movies for this here rate, I might as well give this one a second chance! But now, lemme finish re-watching the surprising masterpiece that is Kingsman. Where the fuck did this movie come from? No one knows. It had no right being as amazing and cool as it is.

Animalia likes this.
  8. Okay yes you're excused because Kingsman is incredible.

(It's low-key ruined by an unnecessarily gross joke in the very last second but meh.)

Ironheade, alanmr and Holly Something like this.
  9. Right?! I saw it twice in the cinema as it was so good. Plus Eggsy is foiiin!

alanmr and Animalia like this.
  10. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I guess I prefer my Disney when it's catered to little girls, Big Hero 6 was enjoyable but just not very Disney for me.
    Also, not unlike quite a few Pixar classics, it suffers a bit from having like 45 minutes of story, then 45 minutes of chases and action. Which of course looks spectacular, but after 1 or 2 'everything seems finished and then they get into yet another chase/battle'-sequences I got my share.

11. Something something "if you save the world"? I can't blame the girl, that would probably be my reaction to Taron Egerton knocking on my door as well.

[​IMG]

And I'm not even into bottoming.

Sorry for being kinda gross.

stuaw and Animalia like this.
  12. OMG I relate to this post so much. All 3 points
    including the bottoming...

13. nn who would've thought TopJustice would finally come to light in the Disney thread??? yas

stuaw, constantino, funkyg and 5 others like this.
  14. People don't expect it cos I'm so pretty kii

15. [​IMG]

(Lemme get to work on our next kid-friendly elimination dddddd)

constantino, Serg., funkyg and 3 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]

Stealth tops of PopJustice, come together!

But not literally.

Oh my god Alan stop being gross.

funkyg likes this.
  17. Mr. Dunn will not be happy that I am discussing such things on Popjustice..

GimmeWork and alanmr like this.
  18. This is all my fault and I apologize. Let's all go back to cute Disney gifs and meltdowns over other people's poor taste!

[​IMG]

You guys did [pick a favorite] so wrong!

19. Disney keeps bringing all types together.

20. I'M FUCKING SCREAMING I JUST FOUND THIS

I'M LISTENING TO BAD GIRLS RIGHT NOW AND IT FITS PERFECTLY

[​IMG]

LIVE FAST DIE YOUNG

BAD GIRLS DO IT WELL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.