The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 107 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ...I'm listening to Cryptopsy's "Slit Your Guts" right now and it also fits perfectly. I think we've found a universal adaptor GIF here.

Animalia and alanmr like this.
  2. I actually am! This Sharleen Spiteri song is not the tea for write-up motivation lemme tell you.

3. Okay, I need to comment on the film elimination.

Big Hero 6 is a movie that I watched when I was in a really bad moment in life. Those happen far too often, honestly, but that one specifically was genuinely dragging me down in every possible way. I wasn't interesting in watching the movie at first, but a friend of mine insisted that it'd be worth it and I'm a sucker for animations, so why not? And then it was a punch to the stomach, to be honest. There's an underlying innocence in the way grief is breached in that movie, but it's still so thorough and so real. I wasn't grieving or anything like that, but there's such an overwhelming positivity in Big Hero 6, in the sense that, you know, things do get better and it's not because they get better that you're not allowed to go through your pains and your heartaches. Also the aesthetics are on point.

I couldn't ignore it and it's kind of upsetting to me that no one else managed to connect to this movie that way, but I'm forever grateful for the borderline healing the movie provided me with.

constantino, funkyg, aniraz and 5 others like this.
  4. Thank you, I definitely got carried away and forgot to talk about just how well the film deals with the grief. Spoilers for the film ending under the cut:

Until, like, this morning, my main disappointment in the film was the ending. I've always thought it was sort of a cop-out to have Baymax sacrifice himself and "die", only to come back again a few minutes later completely unchanged; I felt it took a lot of the emotion out the story and that a better ending would have been showing Hiro dealing with Baymax's death in a more hopeful way than he did Tadashi's, having grown emotionally over the course of the film. But honestly it only hit me today that Baymax represents all Hiro has left of his brother, and the ending is perhaps meant to show that even though he's gone, Hiro's memories of him will never die? "Tadashi is here.", etc. I really appreciate how the film shows Hiro's mourning as a totally natural process; no one ever gets frustrated or angry at him for wanting to hide away from the world, everyone around him is just there to support him in any way they can. It's all handled incredibly well.

aniraz and eccentricsimply like this.
  5. Yeah, there's a care to treat him like the teenager he is and to make sure he knows he isn't a burden.

Animalia and alanmr like this.
  6. nooooooooo I'm on Monster now @send photo

ohnostalgia and send photo like this.
  7. I'M LISTENING TO 'CRYING ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR' BY MUNA AND IT FITS EVEN BETTER.

EDIT: 'DO IT' BY NELLY FURTADO CAME ON STRAIGHT AFTER AND I AM GOBSMACKED AT THE SYNCHRONICITY AT PLAY.

[​IMG]

DO IT LIKE YA DO IT TO ME

stuaw, constantino, Robsolete and 4 others like this.
  8. Tested with:
    "All Star" (because of course)
    "No Flex Zone"
    "From a Dream to a Nightmare" (by Secret Sphere)
    "The Light in Things" (by BT)
    The DuckTales theme
    Final Fantasy X battle theme

And guess what? They all work! I don't know what kind of voodoo the gifster pulled but I love it.

Mushroom, alanmr and Animalia like this.
  9. Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh

Chubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff

He's Winnie the Pooh

Winnie the Pooh

Willy, nilly, silly old bear

[​IMG]

32nd

[​IMG]

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)

1 Point: @Ironheade, @Aester

Is there any Disney property that better represents the magic and wonder of childhood than Winnie the Pooh? You’d be hard-pressed to find someone whose early years weren’t made brighter by the whimsical joy of everyone’s favourite yellow bear and his friends. Absolutely fucking terrifying live action bookends notwithstanding, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a gorgeous little collection of short stories featuring all the usual suspects in the enchanted timeworn pages of the Hundred Acre Wood. It’s an odd format for a Disney film, breaking it up into individual, somewhat tangentially-connected little tales, but it really sells the title as the anthology it’s supposed to be in-universe and makes for a refreshingly different, endearingly sweet wee entry in Disney’s catalogue.

Each chapter of the book brings something new to the story – let’s take a gander, shall we?

Here’s Pooh reciting his daily body positivity mantra:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh and here’s the scene that gave birth to the Kingdom Hearts mini-game that had thousands of kids (and adults) throwing their controllers across the room in unbridled rage:

[​IMG]

Then the always-adorable Piglet embarks on the forever-iconic blustery day adventure, featuring some properly gorgeous old-school animation. Shouldn’t have thrown off the emperor’s groove, eh?

[​IMG]

OH WAIT NEVERMIND IT’S NOT ALL FUN AND GAMES THERE’S A HORRIFYING PINK ELEPHANTS ON PARADE REDUX. Why can’t we just have nice things, Disney?

[​IMG]

Honestly whoever animated - or, more appropriately, didn't animate - that elephant's eyes owes me a lot of fucking money in damages. To counteract the psychedelic nightmares, here are two of my favourite moments in the film. The pure innocence of Piglet thinking the first sign means the house belonged to “Trespassers William” is too damn cute, and there isn’t really a joke in the second one other than an unfortunate new meaning nowadays kii sorry

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh just does exactly what you want it to do. It’s an aesthetically pleasing, easily digestible selection of vignettes that radiate joy and nostalgic romanticism on every page; so perfect in their simplicity and just so much pure fun to watch that when Pooh asks if you can turn back to page one and start again at the end, you just might consider it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    constantino, Serg., Daniel! and 16 others like this.
  10. Also, presented without comment:

[​IMG]

Mushroom, constantino, Serg. and 16 others like this.
  11. Aw.

If you want an evocation of everything right about childhood, you don't have to look any further. So beautifully warm, touching and innocent, and respectful of the way that children think. The characters are wonderfully realized, treated with simple dignity and grace, and it helps that it might just have the best voice acting of any Disney movie, with Paul Winchell's Tigger being up there with Eleanor Audley's Maleficent as the finest vocal performance in any of them; in my estimation, the 50's and 60's "Disney stock company" were the best group of performers the company ever had. (Professional voice actors are always better than celebrities, no exceptions.)

It has a lot of meaning to me, too. Winnie the Pooh was one of the first books I ever read by myself, you know. And the copy still lives at my parents' house.

[​IMG]

funkyg, ohnostalgia, kalonite and 4 others like this.
  12. Oh my god, these writeups make me want to go watch every movie ever.

constantino, funkyg, DJHazey and 5 others like this.
  13. We dive back into the songs tomorrow with another tie, one of which has an 11, the other one very vocal champion who ain't gonna be happy.

14. Ooh. I'm worried about my 11, and probably about to offend the vocal champion or something.

alanmr and Animalia like this.
  15. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Roo was always my favorite.

They have the actual stuffed animals Winnie the Pooh is based on in the New York City library!

funkyg, Ironheade and Animalia like this.
  16. If anyone doubted this, by the way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

constantino, aniraz, funkyg and 5 others like this.
  17. bump.

send photo likes this.
  18. Hello!

It's time we said goodbye to another soundtrack...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost There

Highest Score: 10 x3 (@GimmeWork, @ohnostalgia, @Remorque), 9.5 x1 (@MamaHazey)
    Lowest Score: 4.5 x1 (@funkyg), 5 x3 (@DJHazey, @Serg., @Epic Chocolat)
    My Score: 9

Poor Tiana. Poor GimmeWork. Poor Randy Newman. Poor jazz music in general, really. The Princess & the Frog’s soundtrack finally falls, just when things are starting to get real. It’s a wee bit of a shame ‘cause Almost There is that motivational housework bop, but honestly looking at what’s left, it’s probably the right time for it. Tiana’s overbearing earnestness isn’t quite as grating here as it is in When We’re Human, but it’s all still a bit on the nose and honestly despite the best of intentions, I don’t think it sets her character up to be particularly likeable. I understand the motivation and purpose of those traits; I just find she takes everything a bit too seriously to be an enjoyable, engaging presence in the film. It's just a bit much. To be fair though, who can blame her for lofty hopes and dreams for life when her mother's only bloody Oprah. No pressure, right? The song itself is a wonderfully fun little number with some fantastic vocals from Anika Noni Rose and suitably upbeat, jazzy instrumentation to back them up and set it apart from the crowd of “I Want” songs that come before it, but I just find there’s something missing. I don’t know what exactly, but it’s a problem I have with the whole soundtrack; there’s just some inexplicable dampener on the pure joy and personality that’s supposed to emanate from this style of music. The songs are loud and vibrant in all the right places, but they still just feel a bit… muted, somehow. What doesn’t disappoint though, is the scene accompanying this song. The way the animation shifts from the classic 2D Disney style into the minimalist art-deco of the painting is some properly stunning work, making for some of the studio’s most interesting, unique visuals to date. I mean:

[​IMG]

Yas. ephemeralartery agrees on all points: “I loved the sequence for this in film, but found the soundtrack for Princess and the Frog to be a little lacking, despite loving the film.”, but alanmr speaks up in defence of the soundtrack: “I love the change in visual style in this song, it underscores its dreamy playfulness perfectly. After rating the songs from The Princess and the Frog, I feel the immediate need to watch the movie, the animation is insane good and the soundtrack is solid across the board, just lovely stuff all around.” Raichu’s feeling the love too: “This is more than ‘almost there’ for me. It has that swing feel that a lot of Disney songs do, but the topline is much better. Great vocal performance and melody.”, but DJHazey continues to prove that the apple can fall far from the tree, countering his mother’s high score by commenting: “Pleasant background music or skippable, I can't decide but it's not great either way.” Were you one of the tasteless people she was dragging though, or have you been conveniently silent about your villainy? Sprockrooster simply calls it a “Great discovery.”, while Reboot describes it as a “Great song with an even better message for young girls. And the animation is beautiful.” Truth!

MollieSwift21 isn’t living for the fantasy though: “Every great Disney movie has that one song that really makes you stop and is just breathtaking. Princess and the Frog was missing that. This comes close to it but it never gets there. I don't like the animation during the dream sequence either.” My only problem with it is that the bright yellow colour palette clashes horribly with my voodoo mask border for the film, teebs. But I agree on the lacklustre soundtrack point. constantino has the nerve to come for Miss Tiana haself: “I’m here for this jazzy/loungey type of Disney track, but these...um...mousy vocals get tiresome after a while.” Oop. Minnie who? LKane is packing their bags and movin’ on down to Louisiana: “Very good song! The first time I watched the movie, this was an immediate like. You can feel the New Orleans vibe.”, and of course I had to give GimmeWork the last word on account of being the thread’s most vocal Princess & The Frog defender: “This movie re-ignited my love for Disney musicals after Pixar had almost made them extinct! Love you Tiana! She is one of the absolute best Disney princesses EVER!” Sorry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  19. *rushes to give @GimmeWork a hug*

Don't worry, bb, it's gonna be okay, we both know this soundtrack deserved so much better and everybody else is WRONG for this.

*leaves to have conversations with voodoo masks*
    Yellow and purple is one of my favorite color combinations, so I'll have to disagree with you here, tbh.

GimmeWork, ohnostalgia and Animalia like this.
  20. Whoops I just realised the tie means it's #33 not 34, pretend you didn't see that thanks xo

constantino, GimmeWork, Serg. and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.