The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 113 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Exactly, that's what I was thinking. Where is everybody leaving Reflection?

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Well it did just miss out on the top 10 in the last Disney 'rate!
    And that was pre-Let It Go.

LKane, Mina and Animalia like this.
  3. I gave it a 10 but I have a feeling it won't last that long anymore.

LKane, Mina, Animalia and 1 other person like this.
  4. It's definitely in my personal top 10!

Animalia, Dangerous Maknae and LKane like this.
  5. wow! that has to change now! haha. I'm so attached to this version:

I gave it a 10 too :(

Animalia, Ironheade and Mina like this.
  6. Ahh, foreign-language Disney songs. Experimentation tells me German is the best language for villain songs, but the one I want to share is this. Because... well... it's Jackie Chan singing a Disney song! You can't not love that!

Animalia, LKane and Mina like this.
  7. Jackie Chan singing! That's interesting!

GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  8. Veeeeeery interesting seeing your Top 10 predictions, but I shan't say anything!

For now, let's meet the first victim of the three-way tie for film #29.

= 29th

[​IMG]

Dumbo (1941)

3 Points: @Serg.

Uh oh, this is where my selective ignorance starts to come to light. I think over the course of my life, I’ve only seen Dumbo in full, maybe, twice? I was probably shown it as a kid, and then once again a few days ago to prepare for this elimination. I don't have anything against it, per se, it’s just one of the early, minimalist animations that doesn’t really do too much to keep me interested. And when I say minimalist, I mean it literally – Dumbo still stands as the lowest-budget Disney film to date, with the art and animation departments instructed to keep everything as simple as possible in an effort to make back money after the box office disasters of Pinocchio and Fantasia. Thankfully it worked and Dumbo made more money than those two films combined, earning the studio a profit for the first time since Snow White. We all have bars set at different places, etc. It’s just an unfortunate side-effect that it means the film lacks the detail and beauty of the other classics of the era, but it does have a certain… rustic charm to it. That’s not as shady as it sounds.

[​IMG]

Poor Dumbo though. Born “Jumbo Jr.” to Mrs. Jumbo (imaginative, I know), the other elephants renamed him Dumbo ‘cause he looked… well… dumb. I can sympathise; people used to call me Camperon back in high school dddd. He’s a sweet li’l thing, isn’t he? I mean it doesn’t take much to make a baby elephant cute anyway, but goddamn they nailed the vulnerable, down-trodden charity-case look for the poor guy. Every time he drops his head in dejection or a wee tear falls, your heart breaks. There are some properly sad moments in the film too – the whole Baby Mine sequence is one thing, but when he trips over his own ears, falls face-first into the mud and everyone laughs at him?? Brutal.

[​IMG]

Dumbo deals with two emotions very well. Sadness is one. The other? Complete, utter, paralysing terror. Like, I know a fear of clowns is predictable and reductive in 2017 BUT THAT’S BECAUSE THEY’RE LEGITIMATELY FUCKING HORRIFYING. Plaster the screen with nightmarish circus clowns and I am not a happy customer, Disney. Why were they ever considered a suitable class of entertainer?? Old people are weird. Here’s a fun fact though: some of the clowns in Dumbo were designed as caricatures of artists who walked out the project during an animators strike, hence the scene about them “hitting up the big boss for a raise”. Of course, you can’t talk about Dumbo without mentioning everyone’s favourite (?) mammalian hellscape. Will we ever know what the fuck was going on the minds/bloodstreams of the animators when they created Pink Elephants on Parade? I hope not.

[​IMG]

Dumbo is heartfelt, emotional, sometimes deeply disturbing; it’s a proper Disney classic. Let’s hope no one from the studio ever sees this thread though – both John Lasseter and Walt himself named Dumbo as their favourite animated feature at one point or another. Well, they can’t get everything right, can they?

[​IMG]

9. Ouch

Animalia likes this.
  10. Dumbo was my #6. Extremely simple and minimalistic it is, and that adds to the entire charm, especially with its picture-book illustrations contrasting with the painted look of the previous films before it and Bambi after it. Especially because... well, there's nobody who can't feel sorry for Dumbo every step of the way. Oh, and "Pink Elephants" is one of the greatest sequences of animation ever.

Dude, it's another one that needs to be in Kingdom Hearts. Kefka takes over the circus (nightmarish circus clowns, you said?) and it's infested with pink elephant Heartless! Wouldn't that be awesome?

11. I've never actually seen Dumbo.

12. There are two films on the leaderboard that I've never actually seen myself, so I should probably track them down sooner or later nn

Mina and send photo like this.
  13. Sad.

The rescuers were my number 6 but I think Dumbo was my 7 or at least very close to it. Glad @Serg. was here to make sure it got it's time to shine.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    funkyg, alanmr and Ironheade like this.
  14. Why do I feel like Ultros would fit right in with this picture?

15. "How Far I'll Go" just clicked with me. I wish I gave it a 10.

constantino, Mvnl, Animalia and 5 others like this.
  16. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Dumbo is a bit like Bambi for me, I really can't love it because it is so devastating.

17. Hello! I spent yesterday feeling sorry for myself and downing Lemsip trying to kill this cold (to no avail), so let's get cracking on ahead, shall we?

The next film to tie at #29 is...

= 29th

[​IMG]

Lady and the Tramp (1955)

3 Points: @Sprockrooster

Confession time! This was one of the films I was low-key dreading anyone giving points to ‘cause I thought I hated it and that my write-up would be very “great dogs, beautiful dogs” oop. So I sat down yesterday, coffee and snacks on hand and word document open ready to take notes of any small highlights I could focus on to avoid sounding like a biased idiot, and lo and behold by the time the credits started rolling I’d written absolutely nothing because I was too busy just enjoying the film. My fears were calmed within the first few minutes when I was reminded how utterly, heartbreakingly adorable baby Lady is. The way she scampers around, slipping and sliding across the floor and yelping oh my godddd I’m not even dog person but my heart melts for her.

[​IMG]

But the main thing that surprised me was just how doggone (get it?) beautiful the whole film was to look at. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much in terms of aesthetic going into it, but I left confident that it’s one of the best-looking films of the Golden Age. All the animation is so crisp, clear, colourful and probably a few more alliterative words I could think of if I wasn’t dying of the cold (oh there’s another one). Did you know that every scene was deliberately drawn from a really low angle to simulate the perspective of a dog? Now that’s talent. It was also the first full-length animated feature ever made in widescreen, and the widest film Disney have made to date, which is a nice credential to have to your name, even if it did mean making the artwork for it fit the standard size was a bit of a trial. But yeah, the whole 1950s art style works wonderfully, but in a way that somehow doesn’t feel dated? Looking at it, you’d never guess Lady and the Tramp was a sixty-two year old film. I can only wish to age so gracefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, our canine couple also boast one of the most beloved, memorable storylines in the Disney universe too. Pampered, posh pupper meets a charming rouge from the wrong side of the tracks who shows her real freedom and happiness, he turns out not to be as nice a guy as she thought, but wins back her affection through a terrifying, heated battle with… a rat? Okay. Really though, as reductive as it may be, something about the film and the characters make the storyline really lovely and charming. I mean, come on, even the hardest of hearts has a soft spot for the iconic spaghetti scene.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  18. Thank you for that great writeup @Animalia

19. Yeah, definitely another one for my would-have-been top 10. Beautiful backgrounds, sweet as anything (nice to get the "peasant and princess" love story from Disney for the first time, and executed so beautifully)... and the character animation! You practically could have done it silent with a bit of narration, the dogs have so much personality that comes out from their movements alone. I mean, don't you wish they were all your pets?

(That's exactly what my dog did his first night at home, too... aww, memories. They grow up so fast...)

20. Honestly before we watched it, @kalonite asked me if the title characters spoke at all and I genuinely didn't think they did! It's weird, I don't think the voices take away from their characters at all, but I think you're right that they would have been just as lovable mute.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.