The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 114 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Awwww, you guys, I love dogs.

*dies of cuteness*

alanmr, Ironheade and Animalia like this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Tramp is such a stud.

funkyg, GimmeWork, send photo and 2 others like this.
  3. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I read Trump and was very concerned.

4. And the final film to tie at #29 is...

*drum roll*

= 29th

[​IMG]

Alice In Wonderland (1951)

3 Points: @Reboot

You know what, I’m just gonna say it.

Someone has to.

Alice is the worst Disney protagonist.

Like, did no one tell Disney that it’s possible to portray a dreamy, blissfully ignorant child without making them a petulant, obnoxious misery too? Of course not every main character has to be a confident, upbeat hero or whatever but I find Alice so arrogantly, viciously unlikeable that it colours my perception of the entire film. Which is a shame, because otherwise I think it’s pretty fantastic.

Alice In Wonderland really is a tale as old as time – I mean, it was written in 1865 and did literally anything of note happen before then? I don’t think so. It’s a story that’s been written and rewritten, illustrated and re-illustrated, filmed and re-filmed countless times, yet Disney’s interpretation undoubtedly remains the most memorable and influential. What? They’ve done it twice? Something about Johnny Depp? Nah you must be mistaken, sorry! Disney’s Alice is iconic, yes. It’s fun to watch, yes. Does it make any sense whatsoever? Hell no. But that’s part of the charm. It’s an odd mumble jumble of largely unrelated short stories, all of them entirely nonsensical and most of them profoundly unsettling. It’s an escapist’s paradise filled with talking animals, magic mushrooms (wait), anthropomorphised playing cards and bloodthirsty queens. Oh and this spooky ooky kooky wee guy.

[​IMG]

Considering how famous and characteristic some of the imagery from the film is, it’s odd to think that Walt Disney was in two minds about making it at all; he was a huge fan of the novels, but felt the studio wasn’t able to do it justice and the project was left in limbo for over ten years. A script for a half-animated, half-live action rendition was written with Aldous Huxley (whose mother was one of the girls Carroll wrote the original story for) in the early 1940s, but was eventually scrapped for being too intellectual and serious. Just think – if that had worked out, it wouldn’t have been an animated classic and we all would have missed out on rating The Unbirthday Song. What a shame that would’ve been, eh? The project was finally green lit when artist Mary Blair began working at the studio; her unique abstract, angular style and bold use of colours was exactly what Disney felt was needed to bring Wonderland to life. And he wasn’t wrong.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alice In Wonderland is easily one of the most recognisable Disney films in terms of aesthetic, and it’s birthed some of the most well-known characters and stories in their entire catalogue – the white rabbit, the cheshire cat, the mad hatter, the queen of hearts; all stupidly iconic. It also birthed one of the most infuriatingly confusing Kingdom Hearts worlds, the soundtrack for which will haunt my daydreams for all eternity, but I shan’t hold Disney accountable for Square Enix’s desire to distress and enrage. At least they compensated Alice by making her an honorary princess for no logical reason. Not everyone has that.

[​IMG]

funkyg, constantino, Daniel! and 15 others like this.
  5. [​IMG]

Oh hey

6. I've had a soft spot for Alice in Wonderland since I was a child, and I still love it today. I just love how ridiculously bonkers everyting is.

Animalia and Mina like this.
  7. I actually love Kathryn Beaumont's performance as Alice, shame she didn't stay in the Disney fold longer. Anyway, this one is just a delight to watch, seeing as it's perhaps the most visually experimental and whacked-out, with the possible exception of Fantasia. It doesn't really "get" Carroll's humour, but it's still a joy to watch... plus, y'know, Sterling Holloway and Verna Felton going mental, can't beat that.

funkyg and Animalia like this.
  8. I loved Alice in Wonderland as a kid. Used to watch it far too often for reason. But the nostalgia hasn't survived into adulthood. Being a series of meandering vignettes doesn't do it much justice I think. I find myself preferring the live 2010 version.

Animalia likes this.
  9. So, entirely in character for the movie.

10. Oh fun fact: Ed Wynn's lines as the Mad Hatter in the tea party scene were mostly ad-libbed during motion capture rehearsals; Disney didn't think his scripted performances were as funny so the filmmakers were tasked with isolating the audio and using that instead. Rumour has it they were not happy, since that was a lot harder to do back then.

funkyg, constantino, aniraz and 5 others like this.
  11. The next song elimination will go up when we hit the next page, so have at it folks x

send photo likes this.
  12. What number are we up to for the songs?

13. This will be #30!

14. CANNOT

Animalia likes this.
  15. My hovercraft is full of eels.

Bump.

iheartpoptarts and Animalia like this.
  16. WAIT

Edit: and suddenly there is discussion ruining my strike. Never mind me.

17. Into the Top 30 we go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When Will My Life Begin?

Highest Score: 11 x1 (@aniraz), 10 x1 (@Lost Boy)
    Lowest Score: 5 x2 (@Alouder98, @funkyg)
    My Score: 9.5

And then there were three. I See The Light, Let It Go and How Far I’ll Go are set to battle for the 21st century crown as Tangled’s opening number bows out just inside the Top 30. Honestly as much as I love it, I’m surprised to see this song having done so well; it’s sort of kitschy and meme-y in the same way some of Frozen is, but lemme re-open that can of worms by saying I think Rapunzel is an infinitely better character than Anna and she sells the whole shtick with so much more personality and humour. When Will My Life Begin? was the first song written for Tangled – Alan Menken, returning to score a Disney film for the first time since Home on the Range in 2004 an important Disney film for the first time since Hercules in 1997, wasn’t sure how to approach the modern, guitar-driven soundtrack the studio had decided on. Choosing to base the sound on late 60s folk à la Joni Mitchell (citing Rapunzel’s youthful optimism and long hair as inspiration), he drafted six different versions of the song before finally settling on this little slice of fun, cheerful pop-rock goodness. Popjustice bubbling under fave Mandy Moore’s excitable yelping is the perfect match for the tone and pace of the song I think, and she does a great job contrasting the playful beginning with the sad-yet-hopeful ending. Get you a voice actor who can do both, etc.

Who said Rapunzel wasn’t a feminist icon though? She sweeps, polishes and waxes the floors, does the laundry, mops, shines and sweeps the floor again, all in fifteen minutes with no help from any neighbouring wildlife. Snow White who? Cinderella what??? Tell us your secret, Princess Tangled, that’s like a full day’s work for some of us and I refuse to blame my laziness and/or incompetence. I really like Glenn Slater’s writing on this song though, it reads like a list of Groupon experience package deals you might buy an in-law as a desperate last minute birthday gift. Someone send this song to RuPaul and tell him to base S10’s mini-challenges off it please – watching queens play chess would be more interesting than the S9 finale, anyway. When Will My Life Begin? originally boasted two separate reprises, but the earlier one detailing Rapunzel’s hesitation about leaving the tower was cut from the final film in favour of the uplifting, exhilarating one we hear when she does leave (spoilers). I love the reprise just as much as the main song actually, the build-up through “I could go running, and racing, and dancing, and chasing” etc. is so energetic and infectious it almost makes you want to go outside yourself. Almost.

Let me segue from my ramblings into you guys’ more coherent reviews with a quote from Alan Menken himself, after being asked whether he was aware of the similarity between When Will My Life Begin? and The Hunchback of Notre Dame’s “Out There”:

Painfully aware—and we wanted to make sure we avoided them. But there is a difference. Quasimodo looks out from the church bell tower and knows he wants to be out there in the world—but Rapunzel is not so sure; she’s afraid. We have to want it for her.

kalonite’s picking up vibes of a different Disney staple: “This is technically good, a fun little intro song to Rapunzel’s character. I enjoy it. But… it’s just Belle. It’s really just Belle. And Belle’s better.” Say Belle again. “Mother Gothel should have just got her a Playstation and she’d have been fine.” I’m lucky you’re so easily pleased. Raichu needs a bit more effort though: “God, that 3D Disney look is an eyesore. One of Disney’s weaker pop songs.” Maybe the real question is when will your taste begin? Speaking of questionable taste, here’s a whole slew of comments praising Mandy Moore for… uh… whatever Mandy Moore does. Sprockrooster yells “Queen Mandy! But this ain’t no Candy or Gardenia.”; iheartpoptarts notes that “Mandy Moore meets Disney Princess is good ideas all around.”; LKane celebrates Disney’s open-mindedness in casting a Z-list ex-pop starlet too: “Oh! this one is really good! I love Mandy Moore’s voice. I’m so glad Disney gave her a chance. The song is pretty contemporary and that makes it really friendly to listen.”; and eccentricsimply simply says “I really love Mandy Moore’s voice.”

Phew, is that all of them? Nope, here’s DJHazey: “It's great way to open things up for the movie, but scoring it as a song is troubling because it's a bit too talky to really be any kind of masterpiece. It has its moments and is always backed up by great production though and Mandy sounds amazing at the end when things slows down.” And finally Mina, who’s namedrop is less complimentary: “How much longer until Mandy Moore does a heel-face turn and slams this song like she did her pop albums?” Charli XCX teas. Thanks but painful. Meanwhile, constantino opts for a different popstar reference: “Nice to see Taylor going back to her music roots.” How long before Taylor’s music career drops off a cliff and she’s forced to voice a Disney princess though? I’ll give it five years, tops. Reboot goes for a simple-yet-effective “I like this a lot.”, while MollieSwift21’s praise is slightly more specific: “I love bounciness to this. It gives you a great introduction to her character’s personality.” Last but certainly never least, here’s send photo: “Me except with less activities and more sitting on my ass, also well into my 20s.” Same sis, same.

10am the usual morning line-up
    Crawl out of bed then shower ‘til I’m almost clean
    Put on some coffee, make some toast, browse Popjustice
    Write-up a post and by then it’s like 7pm and I might as well go back to bed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  18. Mandy is such a queen, but it was definitely time to let it go.

19. Don't even insinuate it.

Not yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.