The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 119 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. You should.

2. Something something princess movie, nobody is surprised!

GimmeWork and Mina like this.
  3. What a queen The Lion King is though.

2014, Lost In Japan. and ohnostalgia like this.
  4. Here, the title translates to A Love to Remember, and I remember my mum watching it a few years ago when I was walking by the living room, and the following exchange happened:

Me: "Is she gonna die?"
    Mom: "Well, the name of the movie is A Love to Remember. If she survived, it would be A Love to Live, wouldn't it?

Mum can be a bit savage.

Mina and eccentricsimply like this.
  5. nñn I never understood the reason for the translation to be that here.

Mina and alanmr like this.
  6. I've always hated Brazilian movie titles. We have a tendency to go with whatever's the most boring and generic that's a huge pet peeve of mine. Don't even get me started on romantic comedies.

7. They did an amazing thing with Inside Out, though, and most readers are just gonna have to take my word for it, because it's hard to explain in its full glory, but we call it Divertidamente here, which roughly translates to "Funnily", but can also mean "Fun Mind" when broken down to two words, which is basically the premise of the movie. A brilliant little pun, it is.

Whoever came up with that deserves a promotion for it alone, and they are definitely gonna be needed, since Coco is basically our word for poop.

8. Well now, I actually began to convince myself that I See The Light was going to make it as high as the Top 15 but I'm obviously delusional.

Out next:

Once Upon A Dream
    Be Our Guest
    Can You feel The Love Tonight?
    Just Around The Riverbend
    All Hercules

GimmeWork and alanmr like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

UGH.
    Though in case of Riverbend I guess it's not one of the big songs and could actually be leaving soon.

DJHazey likes this.
  10. I See the Light is amazing, anyone who gave it a bad score deserves darkness in their life.

And yes, A Walk to Remember is iconic and sentimental gays are still loving it.

11. Pocahontas and its music are just kind of boring. There, I said it.

Ironheade likes this.
  12. Hey there you lovely people. I really am super sorry for the painfully slow pace recently, I’ve felt like total garbage for the past week or so and it’s held things up. I think I’m on the mend now though (touch wood), so let’s power through!

28th

[​IMG]

Fantasia 2000 (1999) kii

2 Points: @eccentricsimply
    1 Point: @ohnostalgia

Game on binch, the sequel. It feels weird that we’re 122 pages into a thread celebrating the legacy of Disney music yet we could probably count the number of times we’ve mentioned Fantasia on one hand. Disney films have always been synonymous with music (although some of their best work is the least musical don’t @ me it’s the truth), and the two Fantasia films see the studio push that aspect of their identity to the extreme, with the animated shorts essentially acting as the supporting cast for the orchestra's main event. After the original feature-length film in 1940, Disney had all sorts of grand plans to release a series of short movies in the same vein, but these plans always fell to the wayside until a proper big fancy full-length sequel extravaganza was eventually green lit. Enter, Fantasia 2000. In 1999. Go figure.

Honestly, this was one of the two films I’d never seen before now so I hope y’all aren’t expecting some insightful, in-depth commentary from me here. I watched it for the first time the other night and was really taken aback by how well the visuals complemented the music, and most of the animation is gorgeous. “Most” being the key word there. The whales in the Pines of Rome segment high-key look like PS1 Final Fantasy enemies at some points, and the hand drawn eyes on top of the computer-animation are a bit… unsettling, but there are some properly stunning visual moments in there too.

[​IMG]

The middle section is a bit of a mixed bag teebs; the flamingo with the yo-yo is a nice burst of colour and character, but the tin soldier segment is honestly deeply disturbing in all of its super-shiny, exaggerated carnival realness. The Gershwin gala Rhapsody In Blue is the longest individual piece in the film, and even though its drawn in that minimalist art-deco kinda style I don’t personally like all that much, and soundtracked by big-band jazz music I don’t personally like at all, it’s definitely one of the most unique and memorable segments. Fun fact: the final scene in the short contained so many colours that the studio’s hardware struggled to render it for a long time, to the point where the production of Tarzan was delayed to make time for it. Worth it though.

[​IMG]

Things get decidedly more Disney as the film reaches its peak, with a re-run of the amazing, iconic The Sorcerer’s Apprentice film from the original Fantasia (which we’ll cover when we hit that film), followed by… uh… Donald Duck as Noah? As in, of Noah’s Ark fame? O… kay. Great animals, beautiful animals. Thankfully, they saved the best for last. The final scene set to Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite is an appropriately climactic, fucking beautiful celebration of Disney’s incredibly artistry. Honestly I don’t even know what else to say other than just that it’s breathtakingly beautiful and ends the film on a spectacular high. Princess Mononoke who???

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, I don't think the Fantasia format of a live action orchestral concert sprinkled with unrelated, abstract vignettes introduced by increasingly awkward celebrity cameos is really the tea for me. But I really respect the idea, and the sheer amount of work put into it; some of the animation on display here is stupidly gorgeous. I'm glad that Disney had the creative freedom to make the film, and that people more sophisticated than I are able to connect with it.

13. How could you not like Rhapsody in Blue, one of the greatest musical pieces of ALL TIME.

I am feeling distraught and betrayed.

14. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I feel like I someday have to see this (and the original Fantasia) in cinema.
    One to properly be sucked into it, but also because at home I just don't have the patience to sit through such a long feature with hardly any talking. I appreciate the concept and everything I've seen of it, but I'm definitely more a dialogue and narrative kind of viewer.

15. La La Land ruined jazz for me x

16. I was a very hyperactive child, but I could sit through Fantasia 2000, start to end, without looking away from the screen. It's a beautiful movie and I'm glad at least @ohnostalgia agrees with me here.

17. 2014

2014 Moderator

As a youngster I never had time for Fantasia but I feel like I should definitely retry it, especially after that write-up!

ohnostalgia and Mvnl like this.
  18. Great music, beautiful music. The rest... enh, it just ain't livin' up to the original for me.

19. WHY DID I STOP RECEIVING NOTIFICATIONS FOR THIS THREAD? Thank God my 11 hasn't been done away with in the meantime.

Mina likes this.
  20. Me too! The Rhapsody in Blue sequence is the best one!

ohnostalgia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.