The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 121 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Awwww, save my beloved Aladdin!

P.S. I did give the Aladdin game another try! I had enough with the lava level and decided to forget it. I wanna say little me was a lot better at this stuff, but I'm pretty sure I just cheated all the time...

2. How long before I accidentally spoil a song elimination in a film poster though? I have multiple versions of each poster with ???s replacing the results that haven't been revealed yet, but it's only a matter of time before I mess up and post the wrong one teebs.

Someone's gonna lose their 11 today! Hold on to your faves.

funkyg, aniraz, GimmeWork and 3 others like this.
  3. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.

GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  4. Everyone else can freak out about their 11 leaving. Meanwhile, I know that mine is comfortably in that Top 5.

GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  5. [​IMG]

6. Life is so easy when your 11 is already gone!

Mina, Animalia, alanmr and 2 others like this.
  7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just Around The Riverbend

Highest Score: 11 x1 (@ohnostalgia), 10 x5 (@Mvnl, @send photo, @2014, @Mina, @Sideout)
    Lowest Score: 4 x1 (@Ironheade), 5 x5 (@Subwaykid, @Mikl C, @Sprockrooster, @iheartpoptarts, @GhettoPrincess)
    My Score: 8.5

Sorry ohnostalgia, Colours of the Wind is officially Popjustice’s favourite Pocahontas song. Just Around The Riverbend is about as I Want song-y as an I Want song can get really, laying out the hopes and dreams of the protagonist in a suitably anthemic, orchestral epic. It’s h-yuge. This song is a strings-lover’s paradise and I am there, you guys. Pocahontas’ score is easily one of the best in Disney’s musical history, and this is a textbook example of how to incorporate that complexity into what is essentially a Broadway pop song. Of course, with all that instrumental power comes the risk that it might overpower the vocals BUT NEVER FEAR, freaking queen Judy Kuhn is more than up to the task. Who’s Lea Salonga? What’s a Paige O’Hara? Go back to party city where you belong. Let my literal Good Judy here show you how it’s done. I wish I could hear more of her work with Disney, but I don’t hate myself enough to sit through Mulan II just to hear her Princess Ting Ting… I know, unfortunately that is her name. (Is that too obscure a joke? I’m scared.)

Stephen Schwartz had no idea how to write Pocahontas’ introductory song as (I’m quoting don’t drag me) “she doesn’t really want anything until John Smith arrives”, but his wife insisted that she should want, well, something. Pocahontas craves something new, the great unknown, to lift her out of the life she has planned out for her. She doesn’t quite know what that thing is, but it’s out there waiting for her – just around the riverbend. Since the film’s plot was ripped from inspired by Romeo & Juliet, Schwartz took his wife’s advice and looked to West Side Story for inspiration, calling this song “the Native American version of Something’s Coming”. I don’t know ha, but I’m glad she exists ‘cause a Pocahontas without Just Around The Riverbend to highlight our heroine’s indomitable spirit and sense of adventure would’ve been a damn shame.

Yikes, for some reason the commentary for this is surprisingly negative for such a high result but OH WELL. Let’s start on a good note; MollieSwift21 calls it a “Life questioning anthem.”, adding: “The lyrics towards the end really are incredible and have a lot of relevance to them.” Poor Kokoum. Nobody wants to marry him. MamaHazey appreciates the sentiment too, but feels it lacks in another department: “A good song as far the lyrics, but it's not a very good for sing-a-long.” It’s more of an overdramatic, apocalyptic lipsync-for-your-life kinda song, to be fair. Actually singing along would just distract from Queen Judy’s amazingness, right Reboot? “The song is a bit middling but the vocals are really special.” I’ll take compliments where I can get ‘em. Sprockrooster says he’s “Not a fan of these vibrating adlibs”, but he’s an Anastacia stan, so… glass houses, etc. GimmeWork cheers on Pocahontas from the sidelines: “Adventurous princess steal my heart with your riverbends!”, and constantino piles on the praise: “Queen of nature and cheekbones.”

LKane describes the song as “Full of emotion and adventure! I instantly get involved in the scene.”, but here comes DJHazey to put a dampener on things: “It's a...pretty song at times but never stands out. It felt like the first time hearing it just now despite seeing this movie at least a few times.” I thought feeling like the first time was a good thing? Honestly straight people are so confusing. iheartpoptarts makes a realisation: “There are a lot of random animal sounds in a lot of Disney songs. Don’t ask me why I’m only realizing this now!”, and Raichu’s seeing the same issue: “The melody on this is all kinds of gorgeous. All those nature sounds distract a bit tho.” It’s POCAHONTAS dammit, it'd be weirder if there weren't animal sounds everywhere! 2014 dubs Just Around The Riverbend “Epic and important in equal measure”, but eccentricsimply’s enjoyment of the song is hindered by the film’s… questionable nature: “Too much of a beautiful soundtrack for a movie that romanticizes a genocide.” Well, it’s time we said goodbye. To both this song, and send photo: “God, this is so epic and sweeping. *jumps off a cliff*”

[​IMG]

Me jumping out of the thread before ohnostalgia sees this.

[​IMG]

Epic Chocolat, funkyg, Serg. and 18 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]

9. I doubted a bit to like your post @Animalia because of that Anastacia shade.

Animalia and Mvnl like this.
  10. It was the right time.

*Jumps out of thread as well*

Ironheade and Animalia like this.
  11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

MESS ugh you guys.

12. ...Yeah, 'Colors of the Wind' can go too. Is it my lowest score left at this point? I'm guessing probably.

13. It is! Good luck with that though x

funkyg, Robsolete, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  14. Oh, a boilerplate I Want Song? BORED ALREADY. Also shares a common problem with a lot of the Pocahontas soundtrack - for something trying for BIG high drama, it sounds weirdly sedate.

15. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The end of us was bound to come sooner or later.......

iheartpoptarts and send photo like this.
  16. Fear the tag indeed. I hate losing my few 10s! My condolences to @ohnostalgia - this is definitely one of the best songs of the rate, and out too soon.

17. Seeing as I've already lost a ton of my high scores, it's transforming into "love the tag" on my end. (Except I didn't get tagged for this one, too far in.) Not sure how I feel about that turn of events.

alanmr and Mina like this.
  18. Also, these have way overstayed their welcome and need to leave ASAP:

19. Why are you trying to kick all the fun songs out of Lion King?

alanmr and Mina like this.
  20. Not just the fun songs! I also want "Be Prepared" to exit (though I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion).

GimmeWork and iheartpoptarts like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.