The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 126 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Be Prepared preferably.

2. Please, please, please let it be "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?"

3. 2014

2014 Staff Member

The Little Mermaid and The Lion King could stay untouched until at least the top 15

4. Either one to be honest.

5. Dddd, I don't think Selena was ever criticized for attempting to hit higher notes @Animalia, I think you got your Selegend shade mixed up with your Demi shade.

alanmr likes this.
  6. Under the Sea

Please.

7. [​IMG]

I'm hoping someone's low scored The Lion King songs so The Little Mermaid can defy Sprocky's scores and remain victorious.

8. I don't think there is any way Under the Sea misses the Top 20, but I wouldn't be mad about it either.

alanmr likes this.
  9. Under The Sea is my least favourite Little Mermaid song in the rate but I'm still wanting it to beat out The Lion King.

GimmeWork likes this.
  10. Circle of Life at minimum though...

11. Well seeing the current low scores for the songs and mine for the mermaid being equal or lower gives me hope.

12. Just eliminate a Lion King song already!

GimmeWork, LKane, Mina and 1 other person like this.
  13. Just keep my 11 for one more round, please, afterwards I'm fine with it leaving whenever, even as I hope it goes Top 10.

GimmeWork and Mina like this.
  14. or the whole soundtrack.

Holly Something and alanmr like this.
  15. I'm prepared and enthusiastic for Be Prepared to leave next.

Mina and Holly Something like this.
  16. My Mom was catching up with me last night and she sat there in shock when I told her "Let It Go" had left at #23. She refused to add it to her scorecard and swears something went wrong with the math. I think I heard her utter something like "those heathens!" but I'm not sure.

mi|kshake, Mina, alanmr and 2 others like this.
  17. Eh, 'Let It Go' isn't amazing but it's the first time in a long time that it felt like Disney punctured the music scene with its influence since the old classics.

Holly Something likes this.
  18. Take my hand...

Stay Joanne....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Be Prepared

Highest Score: 10 x13 (@Weslicious, @Lost In Japan., @Daniel!, @ohnostalgia, @Reboot, @Sideout, @MollieSwift21, @aniraz, @Raichu, @iheartpoptarts, @Aester, @kalonite, @Animalia)
    Lowest Score: 4 x2 (@GimmeWork, @DJHazey) ???
    My Score: 10

And thus, Poor Unfortunate Souls becomes our top-rated villain theme, and The Little Mermaid stakes her sole claim for Top 20 glory. Which is lovely for her and all, but Be Prepared is not a deserving sacrifice. I mean, this song has everything. Scar is serving up Shakespearean drama and intrigue, ruthless high-camp dictatorship, scarily accurate Nazi imagery and he’s donned the most luxurious weave in the Disney costume department for the occasion. What more could you possibly want from a villain theme? The ooky spooky colour palette, the chorus of cackling hyenas, that fabulous hairflip; Be Prepared is so clearly Top 20-worthy, and I’m gutted it didn’t quite make it, but mostly… I’m proud. This is a story of justice, of resilience and perseverance. A few tasteless early low scorers left this song rotting away in the mid-to-late THIRTIES for a good while, and watching it slowly but surely climb back up was honestly low-key inspiring. If Scar can pick himself up and get his life together in spite of such adversity, maybe there’s hope for me too?

The nerve of having a key scene in a kids’ film so blatantly reminiscent of Nazi propaganda though. That’s gotta be commended. Of course there’s the goose-stepping hyena army, but on top of that, the yellowish-green tint and the beams of light above Scar on his pedestal were deliberately designed to recreate 1940s newsreels of the Cathedral of Light at the Nuremberg rallies. For a studio whose founder and namesake is often accused of anti-Semitism, that’s a pretty ballsy move. But it really adds a whole ‘nother level of evil to Scar’s already-incredible villainy that really places him up there with the greatest and most memorable movie bad guys. His unapologetic disdain of his subordinates is honestly the level of petty egomania I aspire to in my everyday life. The audience didn’t really get to see every side of Scar in the final product though – the original version of Be Prepared which saw him trying to force Nala to wed and bed him post-kingdom was cut from the film for being a bit tew much, but here it is in all its hand-drawn storyboard glory:

Yikes. Although to be fair:

It’s time you were all introduced to
    Your ruler’s executive staff
    Perhaps not the kind you’ve been used to
    But certainly game for a laugh

Is a LYRIC. Say what you want about Tim Rice Ironheade, but when he’s good, he’s incredible. Looks like Reboot agrees, as she calls Be Prepared “One of Disney’s best villain songs.”, and MollieSwift21 takes it up a notch: “Possibly the best villain song. Love the menacing vibe too it.” The numbers say otherwise, m’fraid! Then again we saw what happened to Hellfire so there’s clearly something off there. HollyDunnSomething tips a different villain song for the crown: “I like this song. I mean it's no ‘My Lullaby’ and I'm still pressed that Lion King 2 songs aren't included in this...” Me too sis, me too. Lemme add another strike to my Buffy reference tally, ‘cause that song was written by none other than Joss Whedon himself. Get your ooky spooky lives, folks. Little Miss Contrary haself Sprockrooster is here to rain on Scar’s parade though, just saying “Well, that was no good.” Humph. Meanwhile, Mina defies all logic and reason by implying the song is forgettable: “I vividly recall the Lion King from when I saw it as a kid, but for whatever reason this villain song is nowhere near as memorable as the other songs from the film.” Blasphemy. Let’s see how DJHazey justifies that disastrous low score: “Pretty lifeless and dull for a villain's theme song, though if you look at Scar's face you really shouldn't be surprised. The only part that makes me smile is ‘yeah be prepared, we'll be prepared...for what?’ from the hyenas.” Lifeless? Dull? I… can’t even think of a shady comment about your faves, I’m just… hurt.

Thankfully iheartpoptarts is here to bring honour back to the Bopjustice Squad: “This is THE Disney villain song as far as I’m concerned.” Oh but here’s constantino to sully the good name of Hipsterjustice: “Lord knows I stan villainy, but there isn’t enough song for me to root for in this competitive rate. There are enough strong compositional elements for me to give this an 8.” The fact that this didn’t break an eight-point average is sickening teebs, and not in the good way. I’m afraid I have bad news for Epic Chocolat, who says: “I like Jeremy Irons' voice.” Well, y’see… rumour has it that he doesn’t actually do much in this song at all – there are several conflicting stories, but Jim Cummings said at a Comic Con panel once that he actually did all the singing and Irons just added the spoken word bits. Which is a bit disappointing if true, but really I don't care who delivers the vocals as long as they’re this amazing. Raichu throws in extra points for effective imagery: “The best villain song in the rate. Strikes a perfect balance between silly and epic. I’m trying my best to rate these songs without thinking too much of the visuals, but remembering those Nazi hyenas from the movie makes this especially striking.”, but LKane isn’t feeling the love: “I like Scar, great villain! but for some reason the Hyenas are annoying.” FUN FACT. There was a girl in my Zoology degree course who used to actively take offence whenever someone mentioned Disney or The Lion King, because – wait for it – it gave hyenas a bad reputation. Sis, I’m pretty sure they did that to themselves when they went around killing babies. Choose your battles. Anyway, let’s finish with some deserved praise for the rightful king of the baddies. eccentricsimply’s here and she is shook: “Scar's genuinely the scariest Disney villain, shit.”, while send photo looks into Scar’s cruel, callous eyes and sees… himself: “Unh my aesthetic.”

Last but not least (of course), it’s kalonite, who I know is gonna be pissed about this result and he’ll more than likely take it out on me so THANKS GUYS. Play us out, sis! “The imagery in this song. Those marching Hyena. Scar's massive face taking up the whole screen like some fascist propaganda. And then Jeremy Irons camping it ALL the way up, and just coming out even more threatening. The lyrics are a masterclass in musical theatre – take a concept like Lion Hamlet and have the most fun possible. ‘Thick as you are, pay attention! My words are a matter of pride.’, rhyming 'prizes' with ‘emphasise is’, the entire last verse, and the to top it all off ‘YES MY TEETH AND AMBITIONS ARE BARED’. Very almost my 11.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part of Your World
    Under The Sea
    Poor Unfortunate Souls
    Kiss The Girl

Belle
    Be Our Guest
    Beauty & The Beast

Prince Ali
    A Whole New World

Circle of Life
    I Just Can't Wait To Be King
    Hakuna Matata
    Can You Feel The Love Tonight?

Colours of the Wind

The Gospel Truth
    Zero To Hero
    I Won't Say (I'm In Love)

Reflection
    I'll Make A Man Out Of You

How Far I'll Go / I Am Moana

kalonite, funkyg, Daniel! and 13 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.