The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 133 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Sorry! Age difference maybe? I'm wondering if the 98 in your username stands for 1998.

Dangerous Maknae and Animalia like this.
  2. Honestly The Emperor's New Groove, Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia are essential for a happy, fulfilling life.

ohnostalgia, Lost Boy, aniraz and 7 others like this.
  3. It does.

Animalia likes this.
  4. So now we know 3/5 of your list? (Or 4/5, counting Lion King?)

Animalia likes this.
  5. That makes a lot of sense, then, since you probably grew up with a lot of the late 90s/00s movies, like I did with the late 80s/early-to-mid 90s ones!

Animalia and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  6. Maybe.

Maybe not.

Maybe.

Mvnl, alanmr and Mina like this.
  7. Sis, with that list....

[​IMG]

Animalia and Mina like this.
  8. FINALLY catching up.... a bit sad that the Rescuers and Fantasia didn't make the top 20, but I don't hate any of the top 20 (although Fox and the Hound isn't really my cup of tea) so well done! Screaming that this rate will likely last all summer long! Don't care, living for every sec of it!

9. The Top Twenties
    ~ An Apologetic Prologue ~

@GimmeWork just reminded me that I wanted to apologise again for the painfully slow pacing. Basically, boring other adult life things have had to take priority and I've been feeling a bit down and unmotivated recently and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I've loved every second of this so far and you guys have been making it a ton of fun! But I'm sure anyone else who's signed up to run a foolishly large rate will agree that there's a kinda ... fatigue that sets in halfway through these things. I mean, with the songs & films combined, I've had 151 things to write-up, make artwork for etc. and like

[​IMG]

BUT, I'm feeling a lot better now and since we've hit the Top 20 of both leaderboards, everything feels a lot more do-able and I'm really excited to dive back into it properly! Thanks again to you all for being so lovely and patient, I hope you don't mind my quality-over-quantity approach too much x

Onwards and upwards, friends! Just... hopefully at a slightly faster pace.

[​IMG]

10. You have literally taken upa monumental task that I am sure of none of us would have done as good as you. I am not sure if we would have thought about the addition of a movies countdown or those brilliant gifs to pull voters in. The dedication is rare and understandably taking a lot of time. I therefore will not pressure you for doing it faster. Anyone who will clearly didnot deserve this rate or your dedication.

kalonite, funkyg, GimmeWork and 10 others like this.
  11. No need to apologize - you're doing an awesome job! Also, please don't feel pressured to outdo yourself in terms of graphics or writeups with every movie or song elimination, especially if it's for a song/movie that's not one of your faves/you just don't feel like it at the time.

12. I am happy with the pace, your write ups are so good.

13. I think people enjoy having a little extra time to talk about things now that we're getting down to the big faves, too!

Hugs, @Animalia, you're never not amazing!

14. I've made my feelings known on this matter, but I'll just reiterate that I'm loving every moment of this rate, you're doing an incredible job and you should do it in your own time. The fatigue is to be expected with massive undertakings as these and we are all 100% there for you every step of the way, bb.

15. No apologies needed @Animalia, you have been running this rate flawlessly. Don't feel any pressure about when to post results. Live life.

16. No worries @Animalia bud, take it at your own pace and don't feel too pressured in terms of artwork and so on, I know the rate-fatigue feel. Your writeups are worth the wait anyway.

17. ME: I am happy to wait.
    ALSO ME: Curses every notification that isn't for the Disney rate...

18. Oh honey, consider this stolen honey.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  19. DON'T APOLOGIZE! I'm LIVING for this rate! I mean your write ups are hilarious, informative, and just perfect! More than worth any wait you can muster.
    [​IMG]

20. Aw, y'all are too kind! Much love. <3

Shall we dive into our Top 20 songs with a tie? Let's.

No one picked up on this hint, huh?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prince Ali

Highest Score: 10 x8 (@Aester, @iheartpoptarts, @Sideout, @GimmeWork, @DJHazey, @Sprockrooster, @Serg., @MamaHazey)
    Lowest Score: 3 x1 (@Weslicious), 3.5 x1 (@Lost Boy)
    My Score: 8.5

So, our very first cut in the Top 20 confirms something I guess we all knew from the get-go; A Whole New World is our highest-rated song from Aladdin. Predictable? Yes. Deserved? … I’ll let y’all fight that one out. I’ll admit though, I was surprised to see this do so well. As much as I love it, I’ve always thought it kinda suffered living in Friend Like Me’s comically huge neon shadow, so I was a wee bit shook to see Prince Ali finding haself a spot in the Top 20 within the first few voters and not once giving it up. Hell, it almost even made the Top 10 at one point, climbing as high as #11 before those few low scores sealed its still-pretty-damn-impressive fate. I was sort of confused by its success for a wee while, but then I remembered that this is Popjustice and... well...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A muscly prince and a sugar daddy? “Weak at the knee” indeed, he can ride his magic carpet through my cave of wonders any day. Phew, moving on. The song itself really is a fabulous, larger-than-life romp more than fitting of the grand occasion it soundtracks; the parade scene is the epitome of the colourful, exuberant energy Aladdin emanates from start to finish. It’s just so much FUN, and it’s all thanks not to Ali himself, but to the one, the only, the incomparable Genie. Oh, Robin Williams. Forever a star, an icon, a legend. His infectious personality and lightning-fast wit was always (and always will be) unrivalled – a Genie without Williams at the helm isn’t one I want to imagine, and this song is undoubtedly one of the moments in which his genius shines brightest. The way Genie bounces from MC to child to weird-goat-thing to buxom madam extraordinaire to fabulous parade commentator; he infuses the scene with so much life and character it’s a real joy to watch. No one else could possibly do this role justice, and I’ll bet that watching Will Smith try to do so in a few years’ time is gonna be an utter trainwreck, poor guy.

But oh honey, the fun doesn’t stop at Genie. As Hazey pointed out after Be Prepared’s elimination, Jafar actually takes the silver medal for villainous musicality, as he gets the ooky spooky reprise of Prince Ali all to himself. Jafar originally had a proper big number called “Humiliate the Boy” – the last song Howard Ashman wrote with Alan Menken before his death – centered around him unmasking Aladdin and shaming him publicly with humiliating wishes, but much like what happened to early versions of One Jump Ahead, when the film’s plot was rewritten to change the way wishes worked (so one person could only have three), that song had to be scrapped. Menken then worked with Tim Rice to compose a new villain song for Jafar titled “Why Me”, but for some reason unbeknownst even to the omnipotence of the internet, that never worked out and all he got in the end was the Prince Ali reprise. Which fucking SUCKS because its AMAZING and Jafar would have KILLED a full-length ominous, cackling Oogie Boogie-esque extravaganza. Oh, what could have been.

Sprockrooster has had a taste and he wants more: “Loving the reprise in combination with the original. Jafar is truly an amazing character and I am ready for his movie as was done with Maleficent.” A true dontjokeaboutthat.gif moment. Speaking of traumatic experiences, here’s Subwaykid: “That reprise scarred me as a child I think.” kalonite loves himself a wee bit of villainy though: “As always, the reprise takes a great song and completely flips it on its head. Love it.” On that note, we may have just stumbled across another rate villain in LKane: “Again the Genie singing. The song is really good, I really like the melody and all the orchestra. I only dislike Robin William’s voice I think.” Dis… like… Robin… Williams… ??? The disrespect. Raichu continues the messery by describing the song as “Pretty throwaway.”, but thankfully GimmeWork’s on hand to put us back on track: “‘Fabulous Harry, I love the feathers!’ Robin Williams does a better Kathy Lee than Kathy Lee. Just sayin!” I have no idea who that is but he probably did a better anyone than anyone teebs so I’ll believe you! “I loved the parade scene,” says MollieSwift21, “the song itself is just okay without it.” Eh my Spotify play count says otherwise. constantino swoops in for a quick back-handed compliment: “This is a pretty standard Disney ‘grand character introductory scene number’ but it’s great regardless.” … Introductory? You do know that Prince Ali is just Aladdin in a fancy hat, right? Awkward. Forget the manly wonders though, iheartpoptarts is more concerned about the practicalities of such an event: “Yeah, sure, bring the whole zoo, why not?” Ali’s serving you Noah’s ark realness and those other princes just can’t take. Last but not least, here’s one final barrage of compliments from DJHazey: “The ‘75 golden camels’ part always pushes everything over the top. Also the ‘world class menagerie’ line has always stood out for some reason as instantly memorable along with ‘they bow to his whim, love serving him’ and how that rolls off the tongue. The ‘ex Prince Ali’ reprise is also amazing as well.” Let them KNOW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.