The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 139 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. So I've just seen a video of a drag queen lip syncing to Mulan's 'Honor To Us All' and I am gagging.

GimmeWork and Mina like this.
  2. It will be very interesting to me to see which movies that aren't a part of the musical rate end up making the top 10 movies.
    [​IMG]

Holly Something, Mina and alanmr like this.
  3. Inconspicuous bump, ya know, just in case...

GimmeWork and alanmr like this.
  4. Hey, it worked!​

I been here all night

I been here all day

And boooOOOOooooOOOoooy

Got me walkin' side to side

[​IMG]

18th

[​IMG]

Bambi (1942)

5 Points: @funkyg
    4 Points: @Ironheade

D’awww, Bambi celebrated his 75th anniversary this month. That’s a lot of fuckin’ years. Our wee co-ordinationally-challenged friend is older than Eurovision; than Tr*mp; than Cher; and I think we can all agree that he’s looking pretty damn good for his age. I mean that both figuratively and literally, too – Bambi is still an absolutely gorgeous film to look at. I can forgive the fact that some of the stuttered animation sometimes kinda makes it look like one huge badly-made gif, because the art itself is just so detailed and inviting; Disney really nailed the illusion of a deep, natural forest environment with the limited resources they had at the time. Production for Bambi actually began in 1936 as it was originally intended to be the second feature film after Snow White, but Walt Disney’s strong attachment to the film meant he kept delaying its release until he was 100% happy with it. Unfortunately, this meant Bambi was finally released at the height of World War II. As a result, distribution to Europe and basically anywhere outside America was massively restricted and, despite positive reviews, the film flopped pretty spectacularly. This was a massive blow to the studio after the financial failure of Pinocchio and Fantasia before it too, and it forced Disney into the… unfortunate run of package films to recuperate before being able to return properly with Cinderella almost a decade later. But hey, at least it was always Walt’s personal favourite of his films. Silver linings!

[​IMG]

If I’m being honest, Bambi is one of those classics I always do a wee bit dirty in my head. It was one of the few Disney films I didn’t like as a kid, and ever since I can’t help but harbour pre-conceptions about it being dated and boring, remembering the lack of dialogue and the extended musical scenes panning over various pieces of washed-out foliage while some faceless voice chirps about the weather. But despite all that, whenever I do sit down and watch it as an adult, I realise that it is actually really lovely, it’s just… a different sort of movie. Where an animated kids’ film would usually be filled to the brim with corny jokes and cheerful songs, Bambi relies on the infantile cuteness of the main characters in the first half to sell the audience on its charm for the duration. That’s not necessarily a bad thing; it’s just an unusual approach for Disney, and one that can seem kinda alienating to those who go into it expecting a vibrant, joyful romp through the woods. The problem I think I had growing up is that if you don’t manage to build up any attachment to Bambi & Co. while they’re young, the latter half of the film can be… a bit of a chore. Are spoilers still necessary after three quarters of a century? Just to be safe – SPOILER ALERT:

---

Bambi’s mum dies.

---

[​IMG]

Shocker, I know right?? The scenes surrounding the event itself are really well done, but up until that point, the film has basically been a You’ve Been Framed! montage of adorable clips of a clumsy, endearing Bambi that, while enjoyable, doesn’t really lend the characters the emotional weight needed to really make the twist the punch to the gut that it should be. Then after the fact, the film pretty much immediately jumps ahead several years into Bambi’s adulthood for a few fight scenes and an awkwardly forced romance, so we miss out on seeing any real aftermath of the tragedy too. It all just happens a bit too quickly, I feel. However, what does work incredibly well is the role of the villain – man. Humans are responsible for all the atrocities in the film, yet we never see a single one on-screen. It’s a risky choice, but refusing to give the villain a face or voice for the audience to hate forces us to place the role on to ourselves – the enemy here isn’t just one or two callous hunters, it’s all humans carelessly encroaching on natural environments for our own selfish gain. Basically we’re all assholes, and sadly, that’s even more true now than it was in 1942. Y’all know I love wildlife – I’ve spent the last six years of my life studying it – and I think that growing interest is why I appreciate Bambi more now than I ever have before. The technical aspects of the film itself might not have aged too gracefully, but the message at its heart is more important than ever.

So yeah, happy birthday Bambi. Sorry we’re still The Absolute Worst™.

[​IMG]

funkyg:

This was one of the earliest Disney movies I watched, probably when I was 4 or 5 years old. One of the main lessons I learnt from Bambi is to be kind to animals. For that, I honour it with my 5 points.

(P.S. Sorry about the terrible image quality in the gifs, I'm trying my best not to just pirate all the films and the only youtube upload I could find that hadn't been taken down for copyright looked like this, so... yeah. Just pretend it's part of its rustic charm xo)

5. I feel like I can take part of the credit for this post seeing as I willed it into being...

6. Bambi is too sad to be enjoyable. Not fussed.

Animalia, 2014, GimmeWork and 2 others like this.

7. And Lion King. I was like 8 when it came out, and I was traumatized.

Animalia, Holly Something and alanmr like this.
  8. Awwww, baby animals. I had no idea so many of these Disney classics were flops!

Animalia and alanmr like this.
  9. Well, that's all my films out except one (which I'm expecting might win this). Tear.

Yep. It took the continuous round of theatrical re-releases (pre-home video) to properly cement them as classics. Which is a crime, frankly - all of the Golden Age deserved to be Snow White level smashes.

10. I was 8 when it came out too!

Animalia and Mina like this.
  11. I'm surprised Bambi even made it to the top 20. I agree with @constantino it's too depressing and slow paced to hold my interests but hey the animation is great!

Also skunks are not cute AT ALL! They are heinous and if you've ever had to wash skunk smell out for your yorkie's hair after he ran under your deck to chase one you'd know that calling them FLOWER is definitely out of the question!

Animalia, constantino and Mina like this.
  12. I'm alive! This delay was brought to you by @kalonite & I helping his mum move house over the past week and me forgetting that I wouldn't have an internet connection.

Working on the next film now! x

13. I’m going to hell for this.

17th

[​IMG]

The Fox & The Hound (1981)

4 Points: @MollieSwift21, @Serg.
    1 Point: @Weslicious

ATRL thread: Is The Fox & The Hound Extremely Gay?

[​IMG]

Two young boys whose mutual love and respect is forbidden and destroyed by the pressure of out-dated adult society that insists their relationship is unnatural? The gaping maw of toxic masculinity breathing down the neck of every friendship that raises a “aren’t those two a little bit too close?” from ignorant passers-by, threatening to consume it whole at any given moment? A shy, victimised caterpillar bullied and belittled for the duration of the film before finally blossoming into a beautiful butterfly and flying free? Hmmmmmm. It would all be very suspicious if this wasn’t a Disney film released in 1981 and so realistically, the chances of it being intended as a sympathetic discourse on the emotional plight of young people questioning their sexuality are about as slim as those of me actively seeking out the Sam Smith single come Friday. It’s just a nice coincidence. Well, maybe not so “nice”. You see, The Fox & The Hound is a bit of an anomaly in the Disney catalogue, in that it doesn’t have a happy ending. Oh, at all. Try as they might, our star-crossed puppers (I hate myself) eventually succumb to the social conditioning of their elders and part ways with barely a smile between them, and the film ends with Tod standing with his beard mate and looking wistfully down on to Copper’s farm. A me texting my high school will-they-won’t-they crush once every few months to check how his fiancé and kids are doing tea.

[​IMG]

But when you Google anything to do with The Fox & The Hound, it’s not ATRL threads about gays that you’ll find – oh no – rather, you’ll be met with wordpress thinkpieces and scathing Reddit reviews condemning it as a Song of the South-calibre piece of racist trash. I know right? I was surprised too, but there really is a lot of bad feeling towards this film and the way it handles the central issue. It may be dressed up with cute talking animals and folksy music, but when you boil it down it can be seen as a film about segregation, in which said segregation isn’t portrayed as a particularly bad thing. In fact, it’s shown as the only solution to the problem at hand; no amount of love or respect could overcome the politics pulling the characters apart, they are biologically different and therefore destined to live apart. I mean, obviously not every film has to have a happy ending, but you’ve gotta admit that’s a pretty sketchy moral to a Disney story. You might think that’s a bit of a stretch, but honestly given the state of race relations in 1980s America and Disney’s history with such issues, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was an intentional point. That’s not to say you shouldn’t enjoy The Fox & The Hound on the surface of course, ‘cause taken at face value it’s a great-looking, super charming little film that packs one hell of an emotional punch. When Widow Tweed leaves Tod in the middle of nowhere and drives off crying? Destroy me a bit. That’s nothing compared to what could have been though. Thank god Disney took their usual creative liberties when adapting the story, because in the original novel: Tod deliberately murders Chief by putting him in the path of an oncoming train; Tod’s family (his vixens and their cubs) are all brutally slaughtered by the hunter; Tod himself then dies from exhaustion while being chased by Copper; and at the end, the hunter is forced into a care home which doesn’t allow dogs, so he has to shoot Copper.

FUN FOR ALL THE FAMILY.

[​IMG]

MollieSwift21:

I just love Tod. I love his friendliness, playful, and sweetness. Tod and Copper’s friendship is so pure. Pearl Bailey’s voice is fantastic. When singing during best of friend the tenderness and innocence of them playing together is special and reminds you back of time when you didn’t care about any outside influences. Lack of Education really has Big Mama laying it down and my heart shatters in little pieces when Tod says they will be friends forever and Big Mama since forever is a long time. Widow Tweed is a true legend for taking Amos gun and shooting up his radiator. The scene where Widow Tweed drops off Tod at the preserve is one of the saddest and contains one of my favorite quotes “Good bye may seem forever farewell is like the end but in my heart is a memory and there you’ll always be”. Tod is so charming with his awkwardness when he first meets Vixey. Copper standing in front of Tod with Amos having a gun pointed at him and the last looks they exchange is a very haunting end scene. I love the behind the scene drama of this movie too.

stuaw, constantino, kalonite and 14 others like this.
  14. Oh, man. Look, I know this one's held in quite some affection, I know it hits a lot of people in the heart... but I've just never liked it at all, really. The sledgehammer emotional theatrics get on my nerves, it's stuffed to the gills with unfortunate implications, and while the animation is pretty, I don't think it's anything special except for Glen Keane's bear (and there's still too much stock footage, if not nearly as much as Robin Hood).

And here's what really bothers me. Why doesn't Chief die when he gets hit by the train?! I mean, the story would make a lot more emotional sense. (Part of me wonders whether that was the original plan, but they had to tone it down. Hmm...)

GimmeWork, Animalia and Mina like this.
  15. According to the IMDb trivia page, Chief did originally die in that scene to justify Copper's need for revenge, but some of the crew felt it was too intense for children and they let him live, much like what happened with Trusty in Lady & The Tramp. He got hit by a train though, like damn. That's one tough doggo.

constantino, GimmeWork, Mina and 2 others like this.
  16. I'm not sure I could handle this movie! Let me go back to posting cute fox GIFs without any idea as to what happens in it.

17. Oh another fun fact I forgot to put in there: Tod's late-game lady friend Vixey was animated by none other than Tim Burton! He worked as an animator at Disney for a while but apparently hated every second of it 'cause it was too colourful and cutesy for him, poor it.

18. This is kind of amazing.

19. Tim Burton is not my kind of person, apparently!

MollieSwift21 and Animalia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.