The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 143 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I Won’t Say (I’m In Love)

Highest Score: 11 x3 (@Daniel!, @Mvnl, @Mikl C), 10 x16 (@Subwaykid, @Reboot, @ohnostalgia, @constantino, @Raichu, @Conan, @2014, @Robsolete, @HollyDunnSomething, @eccentricsimply, @MollieSwift21, @GhettoPrincess, @Reboot, @ephemeralartery, @send photo, @kalonite, @Animalia)
    Lowest Score: 3 x1 (@Sideout), 4 x1 (@DJHazey)
    My Score: 10

Going into this rate, it never even crossed my mind that this song might not make the finale. It was so clear, so obvious a frontrunner for the crown that as the scores started rolling in and I saw it desperately fighting to hang on to the top ten, I was convinced I’d done something wrong; I must have entered a 10 as a 1 somewhere, or have a mistake in the Excel formula, right? There was no other valid explanation. More fool me for not taking some of y’all’s garbage taste into consideration. Aren’t we supposed to be purveyors of amazing pop music? The last line of defence in the war against WGWGs, boldly overanalysing where no (wo)man has overanalysed before? We’re supposed to live and breathe pop music, and we can’t even get the closest thing Disney has to a Big Pop Girl song into the Top 10. A mess. Megara is serving you the smooth RnB-inflected soundscape of Ariana; the irreverent misandry of Tove Lo; the intricate, highly-skilled choreography of Britney; and this is how we reward her?

Honestly I’m low-key speechless about this fuckery and Wikipedia isn’t offering me up any fun anecdotes about the song itself, so in lieu of words, I’ve taken the liberty of compiling a very-real, not-at-all-doctored photographic timeline of Megara’s world-shaping career as a bona fide Big Pop Gorl in ancient Greece.

The self-titled debut album that would defy industry expectations and single-handedly revolutionise pop culture:

[​IMG]

Accepting her first Grammy award for Best New Artist:

[​IMG]

The hard-to-listen-to-but-ultimately-good-for-her-career cross-genre duets album with an ageing legacy act:

[​IMG]

Coming back and giving some of her greatest performances to date after rebranding herself as a Regular Girl™:

[​IMG]

I’ve spent way too much of my adult life photoshopping Joanne hats on to Disney characters ddddd, welp. Let’s see how you flops go about trying to defend this disastrous result, shall we?

DJHazey lays his priorities out there for everyone to see: “Whoever this ginger queen is, she's divine. Of course the gospel girls have to come along and insert their thoughts on the matter which pretty much ruins what could've been a nice moment.” I could say the same for your score teebs. Unfortunately, it looks like this particular defect may be genetic, as MamaHazey admits: “I love this chorus but the backing vocals take a little away.” Consider your whole family officially removed from my Christmas card list. Sprockrooster’s begging for a sack of a coal too, having the nerve to say he’s “Not a fan of her vocal tone.” Not for the first time in this rate, I ain’t taking that critique from an Anastacia stan. Thankfully that’s about it for negativity, other than constantino whose only complaint is that he wants MORE, dammit: “This is giving me some serious Grease teas, minus the occasional white hetero nonsense. Gah I wish this was longer because there are more ideas and melodic potential here than on most of the longer tracks from other films.” Disney? Minus white hetero nonsense? It’s not realistic.

“Now this one is special,” LKane notes, correctly, “Megara reminds me to my high school teacher.. I used to like her haha. Very very catchy. The best track in the movie.” The good(?) people of Popjustice say otherwise, m’fraid – Zero To Hero’s claimed that title! send photo might disagree with this result too: “This song makes me thing I like Hercules more than I actually do. It’s SO good. One of the best, like top 5 for sure.” Don’t think I didn’t see that Hercules slander sis, but I’ll let it pass in light of these difficult times. We’re not the only ones who’ll be shocked to see Meg fall though – HollyDunnSomething’s only got one horse left in this race: “I love this song so much, and is the only song I will allow to win if Part Of Your World doesn't snatch the crown. The only thing is, I always switch between the lead and background vocals when I'm singing along which is a little confusing for anyone that can hear me.” Okay but please tell me you’ve done/are planning a lip-sync performance to this? That’d be iconic. Meanwhile, Epic Chocolat describes this song as “The right combination of pop and theatricality.”, and iheartpoptarts dubs it “Super cute and relatable.” I think that’s what Reboot was getting at it too, with their short and sweet “Same.”

Meg’s got eccentricsimply feeling some kinda way too: “Too much of a relatable song. ‘If there's a price for rotten judgement/I guess I've already won that’ same, sis. ‘No man is worth the aggravation’ and me almost thinking Megara was going to admit to being a lesbian.” My high school English teacher always said purple was the colour of lesbians, so it does make sense. LGBT queen! On that note, here’s Daniel!: “I’m still mad at Ari for not covering this for that Disney compilation. The potential!” IMAGINE. Although she did manage to massacre Zero To Hero with literally zero effort or energy, so maybe it’s for the best. 2014 recognises a hit when he sees one too: “The pop girls would kill for a song like this. #TeamMeg.” We’ll always have Belinda Carlisle, I guess?

“Meg is definitely one of Disney’s most interesting female characters,” Raichu praises, “A little off kilter both in voice and looks. But to the point, this is a fucking perfect pop song.” DAMN RIGHT IT IS. GhettoPrincess stans talent loud and proud too: “Would probably be my second choice for an 11 score. I just love this moment in the film. I adore Meg and her vocals. I just love how stubborn she is to admitting she’s in love for the whole song and then that lovely ending comes.” Finally, it’s MollieSwift21, whose commentary is not only correct in both a scientific and moral sense, but also just makes me a bit… sad: “Amazing. Megara's vocals with muses really make this sound like something a girl group would release. Has to be one of the most pop justice friendly songs here so I'm expecting big things from this one.”

Me too, sis. Me too.

“:(“

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stuaw, Daniel!, kalonite and 13 others like this.
  2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Well that's just one big injustice.
    Everything about Meg, this song and this movie is just awesome.

3. The gospel bits are the best part and this is one of the best songs of all time.

stuaw, Robsolete, Animalia and 3 others like this.
  4. Oi. This ain't right, people. (Although, to be fair, it's a good slate of tracks left.)

It's basically a Phil Spector girl group song, in a movie where most of the rest of the songs are notably gospel-inspired. So, a bit out of place, but much like the rest of Hercules - dammit, it's fun!

stuaw, Animalia, alanmr and 1 other person like this.
  5. What

The

Fuck.

Cancel the rate.

stuaw, MollieSwift21, Island and 5 others like this.
  6. I Won't Say (I'm In Love) was number fourteenth in the voting I could not believe it!

Seriously, what the actual fuck. To receive 16 10's and end up placing 14th? That is insane. (Side note: how many people voted in total?)

And to answer your question @Animalia I have never lipsynced to this song, I don't really lipsync but I would love to do it. Let's have a Disney party and we can all choose a fave to lipsync to!

stuaw, Animalia and GimmeWork like this.
  7. Stay hidden.

On another note, would a person be banned from the forum for sending death threats to @DJHazey and @Sideout? I'm asking for a friend...

Mikl C and Animalia like this.
  8. If you kill me, you lose my 11 and I don't think you want that.

#Collateral11

Animalia, Holly Something and alanmr like this.
  9. Only death threats babes, I won't actually kill you. Maybe I should see how you treat the rest of my faves before I make any rash decisions.

Animalia likes this.
  10. Oh my life is still at risk if there are still Hercules songs left. The 4 was one of my higher scores I believe.

Animalia and Holly Something like this.
  11. I thought @send photo was playing a mean joke. Wow.

12. What the fuck? That was a potential 11. Love that melody and those nasal vocals.

13. Well, this is absolutely fucked up.

14. Oop.

I still have a 3 and 2 6s left.

DJHazey likes this.
  15. Oh I knew it still had a song in, I was deflecting. Take a wild guess what score I gave it.

Mina likes this.

16. Six more points than I gave it?

DJHazey likes this.
  17. Not unless you gave it a negative score.

Mina likes this.
  18. WHAT

DA

FUCKKKKKKKKK

That's it, I've had it officially.

[​IMG]

How the hell are the best songs going just before the Top 10? Will all the Little Mermaid ones be out next? Don't you dare.

stuaw, Cassava, Mikl C and 3 others like this.
  19. I gave Under The Sea a 10 but it really has to go.

Moana can go too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.