The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 155 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

some people obviously just can't handle a song so amazing!

stuaw, Holly Something and Animalia like this.
  2. Y'all thinking I Won't Say (I'm In Love) is the biggest shock of the rate.

[​IMG]

On a possibly related note, which film do we think is falling at #7 today?​

The Little Mermaid (1989)
    Beauty & The Beast (1991)
    Aladdin (1992)
    The Lion King (1994)
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    Hercules (1997)
    Mulan (1998)

3. Biiiiiittttchhhh!!!!!! I hope you're just trolling us now!

I reckon that Hunchback is probably the next one out, or maybe Hercules.

iheartpoptarts and Animalia like this.
  4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I hope it's Aladdin.

Animalia likes this.
  5. I hope it will be Little Mermaid back to back, but I deem it unlikely in both cases.

Animalia likes this.
  6. I can't believe that was our boppiest song left. Poor my life.

And save Aladdin pretty please!

Aester and Animalia like this.
  7. I'm thinking The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Holly Something and Animalia like this.
  8. A Whole New World can fuck off, teebs

[​IMG]

9. All Hercules songs are deservedly eliminated. *hair flip*

And the film can go next (or Hunchback)

10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Belle reprise is where it really goes off.

For movies either Hunchback or Mulan to leave.

stuaw likes this.
  11. Get out.

12. 7. Hunchback
    6. The Little Mermaid
    5. Mulan
    4. Aladdin
    3. Hercules
    2. Beauty and the Beast
    1. The Lion King

But really, they’re all very, very strong.

Animalia likes this.
  13. I only joined recently so I couldn't do this rate but I've loved following it. I watched Wreck-It Ralph for the first time ever the other night after reading the write up about it and I loved it so much and cried my eyes out, so thank you @Animalia for introducing me to it. Also Colors of the Wind and Aladdin need to win.

14. Hopefully Beauty & The Beast.

Animalia likes this.
  15. Y'all guessed it.

7th

[​IMG]

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

5 Points: @Stradiwhovius, @LKane, @kalonite
    4 Points: @Mina, @Conan
    3 Points: @ephemeralartery
    2 Points: @Mvnl

Arguably one of Disney’s most important, intelligent films is next up to the chopping block, but sadly I can’t say I’m too surprised. The top of the leaderboard was always gonna be populated by the Renaissance classics and Hunchback more than deserves a spot up there, but I mean, look at what’s left: The Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Hercules and Mulan; those six are the Disney films of our generation. The numbers of points and voters double from #6 onwards. Quasimodo never really stood a chance, poor guy. But hey, at least it made it this far – a little bit of redemption after the blatant disrespect you tasteless heathens showed its soundtrack.

[​IMG]

The Hunchback of Notre Dame isn’t really a kids’ film. On the surface it might look like one – it’s a Disney animated feature with catchy songs, animal sidekicks and campy talking objects – but honestly, did any of us really, truly enjoy it as a child? There’s so much depth and nuance to its themes, so much darkness and maturity in its story; comprehending and appreciating those concepts is pretty central to the enjoyment of the film, I think. A child isn’t going to understand the psychological torture Frollo subjects Quasimodo to, the scathing critique of organised religion will go right over their heads and the horror of violent genocide in the pursuit of sexual desire will likely go unnoticed. I don’t necessarily mean this as a bad thing, though. Disney had just knocked out five instant children’s classics in as many years – they’d earned the right to think outside the box a bit, to push the limits of what was appropriate for an animated film. Show the adults taking their kids to see these films that there’s more to the studio than just bright and breezy, feel-good fairytales where the good guys always win and earn the hand of the fair maiden at the end.

No, here’s one in which a deformed child has his parents murdered because of their race/social status and is then almost drowned in a well himself by an authority figure within the first three minutes. Here’s one in which that authority figure, out of fear of God’s wrath, then raises the child in solitary confinement, routinely belittling him and denying him any sort of love or happiness in life. Here’s one in which, when the hero does eventually escape and think he’s finally found peace and acceptance, he’s immediately publicly ridiculed and brutally physically tortured for the entertainment of the masses. Here’s one in which a powerful man visually lusts after and then abuses his position in society to sexually assault a woman, and when she refuses his advances he burns down all of Paris to find and kill her and all her people.

[​IMG]

No, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is in a class of its own. This film explores some startling mature themes with the respect and care they demand, yet remains an enjoyable (if slightly harrowing) watch from start to finish. It’s a masterpiece of film-writing; a complex, brave commentary on an oppressive, evil system; it’s not afraid to show its fangs, to be ugly and violent. To be truthful. You don’t have to enjoy it, but you’ve sure as hell gotta respect it.

[​IMG]

Stradiwhovius:

JUSTICE.gif I don't think another Disney film opens itself to nuanced interpretations and reads as willingly as Hunchback does. Are the gargoyles real? Hellfire alone, with its rich symbolism, vivid imagery, and gleeful nuance and hypocrisy, could have essays written on the subject. The emotional drama and religious themes are shockingly mature, but despite this the film is lots of fun. It's full of mostly unobstructive comedy, visually stunning and wondrous set pieces, and a driven plot.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. Also I am pissed that the only large/HQ-enough version of this amazing poster I could find appears to be a cheap-ass scan with fucking fingerprints all over it, but the other posters for the film were terrible so whatever. They add texture.

17. To everyone who didn't vote for Hunchback (including you, @Animalia) I say:

[​IMG]

18. I can't believe we're almost at the top 5 songs/films!

Animalia likes this.
  19. OH I might actually fix the title and use that, thanks! The French stay winning, this was their poster for Moana:

[​IMG]

Stun.

I was writing the elimination when I saw this sorry, but seriously one of the only things I wanted out of doing this rate was to convince someone to watch and love Wreck-It Ralph so this really made my night! Thank you.

[​IMG]

20. OMG that French Moana poster is gorge!!!

Animalia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.