The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 157 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Taste and talent.

I didn't do any commentary but this from @DJHazey and @HollyDunnSomething definitely highlight why I love this song so much:
    My only non-10 in the top 5 is Circle of Life (a 9.5) so I wish that this had at least made it there over that, but it's such a great group of songs anyway.

Let me leave you with the best pop version of the song (no disrespect to Carly Rae Jepsen, all disrespect to Miley Cyrus' version):

2. So it seems the revenge arc for my Hercules/Hunchback scores has come full circle huh? Well, I'm more devastated for the other 11s that were taken down in the process. Picking my 11 was not easy like it might have been for the others that chose Part of Your World but the memories I have of listening to the Little Mermaid soundtrack as a child will always be there. It's such an important song with more meaning than a new listener may pick up on at first. Now, let me also state that all five of the remaining songs were candidates for my 11 so I will be able to brush myself and move on, but having this not be in the Top 5 seems...questionable at best.

Where @Sprockrooster has apparently been living.

[​IMG]

3. As a huge fan of both The Little Mermaid and Little Shop of Horrors, I feel silly for never noticing how similar the two songs are. I am shook. It seems so obvious now.

kalonite, Mina and Animalia like this.
  4. Shocked but not shook. With the exception of The Beauty and The Beast, I think all the songs in are better than Part of Your World. I think the climatic part, "Up where they walk, up where they run/Up where they stay all day in the sun/Wanderin' free - wish I could be/Part of that world," is a lot better than the rest of the song.

Colours of the Wind needs to win.

stuaw, Mina and Animalia like this.
  5. When your 11 is still in

[​IMG]

stuaw, Mina and Animalia like this.
  6. Colors of the Wind and Circle of Life are the only unacceptable winners left.

Animalia and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. who hurt you?

Animalia likes this.
  8. Peabo Bryson!

Animalia and Mina like this.
  9. Reflection or A Whole New World please.

Animalia likes this.
  10. Circle of Life is the only song that I don't want to win, everything else is a 10/10.

Animalia likes this.
  11. Now that the dust has settled on poor Ariel's demise,

it's time to find out which film suffered the same cruel fate.

6th

[​IMG]

Aladdin (1992)

5 Points: @iheartpoptarts, @ephemeralartery, @Sideout
    4 Points: @Subwaykid, @GimmeWork, @LKane
    3 Points: @Mvnl, @MamaHazey
    2 Points: @Aester
    1 Point: @DJHazey, @Sprockrooster, @Mina, @Daniel!, @Mikl C

In perhaps another shock twist, Aladdin is the first of the six great Renaissance behemoths to fall. Told y’all there was a leap in points though! It’s a shame to see such an iconic film miss out on the top five, but one of ‘em had to, and it seems our poor, misunderstood street rat ran out of wishes when the film it was always one jump ahead of (kii) for most of the voting snatched multiple five-point votes at the last minute.

[​IMG]

Once again, we owe the entire existence of this piece of magic to the wonderful Howard Ashman. He had the idea to adapt the Aladdin story into a musical while still working on The Little Mermaid, and even wrote the initial treatment for it himself, as well as writing several songs with Alan Menken. Unfortunately, when he passed away mid-production, the film ended up being changed drastically; Aladdin was changed from a young child looking to prove his worth to his parents (a story that was very close to Ashman’s heart), to an orphaned teenager. These changes to the plot meant that the soundtrack had to be overhauled too – Disney hired Tim Rice to adapt the existing tracks and to write new ones, and in the end, Arabian Nights, Friend Like Me and Prince Ali were the only original Ashman songs to survive the cut. It’s sort of sad that so much of his work on what was his own vision wound up rewritten or removed upon his death, isn’t it? Had Disney known how much of an impact Ashman’s influence would have on the success of The Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast, I’d wager they might not have been so quick to act there. That wasn’t the end of Aladdin’s troubles though, oh no. Remember our Part of Your World-hating friend Jeffrey Katzenberg? Well, apparently he walked into the studio one day and told the animators to scrap everything they’d been been working on for months and literally start from scratch, but to the same deadline. Directors/actual living heroes John Musker and Ron Clements had to re-do the entire film’s plot and screenplay in eight days. EIGHT DAYS. It’s taken me longer than that to write one elimination dddd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It all turned out pretty damn well in the end though, huh? Despite all of its trials and tribulations along the way, the Aladdin that ended up hitting our screens was fucking stellar. It really just hits all the points. It’s got action; from chase scenes to extravagant parades to swordfights against giant magical snakes, there's fun for all the family! It’s got romance; a wee bitsy clichéd maybe, but Aladdin & Jasmine’s relationship develops really nicely over the course of the film, and without falling into the trap of relegating Jasmine to the role of faceless love interest. It’s got a fantastic villain; Jafar has the range, yes ma’am – crazy old man? Check. Mysterious, sinister advisor? Yup. All-powerful evil genie hellbent on destruction and phenomenal cosmic power? He’s got you covered. And that voice? Whew. One of the best, for sure. Aladdin has everything – and tying it all together, transforming a great Disney film into a spectacular Disney film, it’s got one thing no other has.

Robin fucking Williams.

The energy and personality bursting forth from the genie in every scene-stealing appearance, with every over-delivered line, that’s what brings Aladdin to life. Without the genie, there is no magic. Literally and figuratively. Several other great comic actors were considered for the role – John Candy, Steve Martin, John Goodman, Eddie Murphy – but not a single other person on this earth could have delivered even close to the same level of charisma and sheer talent that Williams practically oozed with every word in this role. Hell, he ad-libbed so much of his performance that the film was rejected by the Academy Awards committee when Disney tried to submit it in the Best Adapted Screenplay category. Robin Williams made Aladdin. There never has been, and never will be, another like him. An icon, a legend, a star.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Daniel!, constantino, Blond and 19 others like this.
  12. Part of Your World is simply phenomenal. That melody was a gift from the gods, and when it manifests itself in this scene, which I consider to be my favorite scene in a Disney movie I am always left shook. Jodi Benson's voice here is truly otherwordly.

Animalia and stuaw like this.
  13. Great top 5 (I think 4 of mine are still in?) but I know some of y'all tasteless heaux's will have cost Ariel her well deserved no.1 spot.

Animalia likes this.
  14. Oh no. I think I'm just down to my #1 film now!

HollyDunnSomething and Animalia like this.
  15. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

Aladdin is incredible and my 7th favorite Disney movie. Great top 5. 4 of them are in my overall top 6. It seems wrong that there are no Little Mermaid songs left. Would have swapped it out with Reflection.

Animalia likes this.
  16. Nooooooooooooooooooo.

Animalia, DJHazey and Mina like this.
  17. Goddammit I'm trying to write this next song elimination but the film podcast we're listening to is talking about Coco and I'm

[​IMG]

Honestly if you haven't yet, please please go see Coco. It's just... perfect.

18. OKAY LET'S DO THIS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Beauty & the Beast

Highest Score: 11 x1 (@Sprockrooster), 10 x17 (@constantino, @Mina, @Robsolete, @HollyDunnSomething, @Alouder98, @MollieSwift21, @Lost In Japan., @Sideout, @Conan, @Mikl C, @Remorque, @DJHazey, @Reboot, @GimmeWork, @send photo, @kalonite, @MamaHazey)
    Lowest Score: 6 x1 (@Subwaykid), 7 x3 (@alanmr, @Aester, @Lost Boy)
    My Score: 8.5

TALE AS OLD AS TIME

[​IMG]

TALE AS OLD AS TIME

[​IMG]

TALE AS OLD AS TIME

[​IMG]

TALE AS OLD AS TIME

[​IMG]

TALE AS OLD AS TIME

[​IMG]

No but really, kalonite ruined this song forever for me by pointing out that it suffers from do you ever feel like a plastic bag syndrome dddd. Anyway, yes, the great sweeping ballad that is Beauty & the Beast’s title track is the first of the Top 5 to sashay its way out of the rate. Waltzing into the Top 10 with three tracks then having them all crash out like this before the finale is a disappointing end for this amazing soundtrack, but that sweet 9+ average for this song is a pretty nifty consolation prize. Much like with Part of Your World, Sprockrooster’s 11 near the beginning of the voting period managed to secure Mrs. Potts the win for a short while, but in the end her polish just wasn’t able to outshine the fierce competition at the top. Poor wee Chip will just have to scrimp and save for that corrective surgery I guess.

This song truly is special though; despite its minimal melody and subtleness, there’s just so much emotion and power behind it all, it’s hard not to get lost in all its glittering grandeur. Oddly enough, Beauty & the Beast was originally written as a big ol’ stadium-filling, crowd-stomping rock anthem; when they managed to get Angela Lansbury on board, she wasn’t sure her aging (her words, not mine) voice could handle the big notes, and so Ashman told her to sing it the way she felt it should sound. They loved her softer, sweeter rendition so much that they opted to use it instead – in fact, what you hear in the film is literally her first take of the vocals. Talent. Who else on God's green earth could possibly manage such an impressive feat of vocal perfection, you ask?

Disney brought in Celine Dion to record a more commercial version of the song to use in promotion for the film, and then – in a move I’d wager the person in charge of is still deeply embarrassed of to this day – the studio decided she was too obscure to sell it and they phoned in Peabo Bryson to make it a duet. I mean… what? Why? And, most importantly, who? Thankfully he didn’t steal too much of Celine’s spotlight, and their cover (produced by Walter Afanasieff of Mariah, Whitney and Sam Bailey fame) is pretty spectacular in its own right. The Canadian chanteuse even nabbed three of her first ever Grammy nominations for her contribution to the soundtrack, losing out on the Record and Album awards, but you bet your ass she snatched that coveted Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal trophy. Glee Cast could never. Beauty & the Beast was also deservedly awarded with the Best Song for Visual Media Grammy, the corresponding Golden Globe, and the genuinely coveted Academy Award for Best Original Song. Since Howard Ashman passed away before Beauty & the Beast was released, the award was accepted in his honour by Alan Menken and his partner Bill Lauch. I’m too emotionally vulnerable right now to think too much about a gay man accepting one of the greatest awards in the industry live on TV in 1993 on behalf of his partner who died due to AIDS-related complications, so let’s move over to you guys real quick before I break.

“Utterly gorgeous.” send photo swoons, backed up by Mina who calls it “A timeless classic.”. Even the hard-to-impress Raichu can’t deny its greatness: “Not one of my favorite Disney love songs, but can’t really argue with that melody.” LKane takes from one gay icon to give to another: “I love that Mrs. Potts is the one singing in this song. Angela Lansbury made it really special and warm. I’m maybe tired of listening to Celine Dion’s version.” Scared that Mrs. Potts will show no hesitation in scalding your ass if you dare say a bad word about her? You should be. 2014: “Angela Lansbury <3; so gorgeous.”, MollieSwift21: “The ball room scene is just breathtaking. Angela Lansbury did that.” and GimmeWork clearly fear her piping hot porcelain wrath too: “Celine and Ariana have nothing on Angela Lansbury when it comes to this song! Quick! Somebody call Jessica Fletcher because my hearts been murdered by this romantic Disney classic!”

[​IMG]

She says fuck y’all’s empty praise when you let her drop like this. The song itself ain’t the only worth of some praise here though, right alanmr? “The song is good enough, but I believe what made this piece as iconic as it became was the astounding animation on the dance scene, just look at that candelabra! Amazing.” The visuals have got Reboot feeling a certain type of way, too: “Gorgeous. That scene when they’re dancing round the ballroom sends shivers down my spine. And the colours, man. So beautiful.” Honestly the blue and yellow is giving me “Name a colour on the Swedish flag” Top Answer Game vibes right now and I’m still reeling from the terror. Looks like GhettoPrincess is enchanted by the swirling splendour of the ballroom as well: “Oh this scene is just beautiful. Love the song too of course.”. Even the most boppiest of hearts can be captured by a ballad of such beauty – case in point, honorary captain of the bubblegum brigade iheartpoptarts: “That moment when you’re like, yeah, okay, ballad, whatever, and then the song actually comes on and you’re like, oh my god, Disney nostalgia.” DJHazey had a similar experience: “Like I always forget how incredible this song is until I'm watching the moment unfold in front of my eyes. I was ready to say something like ‘a tad overrated’ but now I might need a tissue.”, providing this visual aid to convey his emotions.

[​IMG]

Poor it. MamaHazey doesn’t put up as much resistance though, falling to its its charms by the first line: “’Tale as old as time’ never fails to draw me in.” Mushroom probably wouldn’t rank it this highly, but still recognises how iconic it is: “Never a clear favourite of mine but an undeniable jewel in its crown and the sequenced attached is obviously amazing.”, while constantino celebrates finding a new big pot girl to stan: “The way otherwise inanimate objects completely obliterate the mortals in this film is truly iconic. Like, yas Mrs. Potts you better snatch that moment.” Inevitably, someone had to mention the big furry elephant in the room, and that falls to eccentricsimply: “If we overlook the bestiality, this song is truly amazing.” Welp. Of course, the final word goes to the Sprockrooster: “Knowing the Dutch version first, it easily became a childhood classic. Hearing queen Angela giving it such a passionate vocal delivery in English somewhere in my teens and I knew I had a lifelong classic! No other song came even close of snatching the 11 from this one.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Daniel!, constantino, LKane and 17 others like this.
  19. (I have been informed that I was mislead by headlines and that Ms. Lansbury's comments about sexual assault were grossly taken out of context - I've edited the post, but apols to anyone who saw it beforehand.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.