The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 160 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. OMG. I have never heard this story. Reading back the news site I am shook:

That final sentence, OH MY GOD.

2. When will your fave scam the charts by dumping thousands of CDs in a barn just to get a certified album?

Whew we love talent.

3. WAIT. Why wasn't this Top 10 with I Won't Say I'm In Love?

4. Firstable, how dare you quote an elimination that still has dead Photobucket image links in it dddd*. Secondable, Misandryjustice ha impact.

* I am gonna go back and fix them all btw y'all, but that's like 200+ images I have to individually re-upload to imgur and change the links to and that shit's gonna take time.

5. They add ~texture~

Animalia likes this.
  6. C'mon then, which film do y'all think will land in the tragic 4th place?

The Little Mermaid
    Beauty & the Beast
    The Lion King
    Mulan

Rem, GimmeWork, constantino and 4 others like this.
  7. Maybe The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast, since they've lost all their songs already?

(Although I hope it's The Lion King, and fear it's Mulan.)

Animalia likes this.
  8. It's got to be Mulan at #4.

Also, I'm extremely pleased with that Top 3 and my Mom's 11 is still alive.

stuaw and Animalia like this.
  9. This is the best thing I've ever seen in my life.

aniraz, DJHazey, constantino and 5 others like this.
  10. I love Mulan, but I think it’ll go next. The other three are Renaissance Disney at their peak. Anyone growing up in the 90s will remember them from their childhood. I don’t think Mulan’s quite on that level except for more diehard Disney fans.

Animalia likes this.

11. [​IMG]

4th

[​IMG]

Beauty & the Beast (1991)

5 Points: @Robsolete (happy bday sis!), @Sprockrooster, @Conan
    4 Points: @Alouder98
    3 Points: @Ironheade, @send photo, @GimmeWork, @Mikl C, @Aester, @Lost In Japan.
    2 Points: @Daniel!, @Sideout, @aniraz, @HollyDunnSomething, @DJHazey
    1 Point: @GhettoPrincess, @Subwaykid

That poster serving timeless elegance and simplicity whew, modern day Disney could never. So, the most beautifur love story ever told [sic] is the unlucky film to miss out on the furnale. I’m… furprised? The top fur moved around a lot during the voting, but I assumed Belle & Co. would settle on a podium place through sheer furce of star power. dddd I’ll stop, but really; Beauty & the Beast might just be the most famous Disney classic. Helped along by last year’s trainwreck of a remake of course, but even before that I’d say it was maybe only second to The Lion King in the GeePee’s consciousness. That kinda fame and success doesn’t come easy, but Beauty & the Beast is a more than respectable figurehead for the studio; it basically does everything we’ve come to expect from a Disney animated film to a damn high standard. A strong, well-realised female lead? Check. A corny romance? Check. Incredible music? Check. Gorgeous animation? Check. The well-intended source material to inspire future generations of fursonas and niche fanfic peddlers? Oh boy, check.

[​IMG]

The fact that low-key bestiality isn’t even the most common complaint directed towards this film’s romantic plot though, oof. The internet has seen countless tumblr thinkpieces and Buzzfeed clickbait ~hot takes~ over the years about how Beauty & the Beast is a thinly veiled allegory for Stockholm Syndrome, and honestly… they’re not wrong. Whether or not it was deliberate, who knows, but there’s a definite line between ye olde forbidden love and a potentially-dangerous, controlling captor-captive dynamic and Disney weren’t afraid to walk it. Or they just completely missed it. Either way it gives me an good excuse to force this masterpiece upon you all:

We love a musical genius. Speaking of which, it’s about time for another of our scheduled Ashman-Menken groupthink stan sessions, ain’t it? Walt Disney had wanted to adapt the fairytale of Beauty & the Beast into an animated film for decades – attempts had been made in the ‘30s and ‘50s but they were always cancelled when the story departments struggled to make it engaging for children. One last attempt was made in the late 80s, but a studio exec took one look at the initial storyboard and demanded it be started again from scratch. I’ll give you one clue as to who that might’ve been – his name kind of rhymes with Cherry Battenberg. The director resigned and the first choices for his replacement, Ron Clements and John Musker, turned it down ‘cause they were “tired” after finishing The Little Mermaid. Relatable. So, Disney put their faith in first-time directors Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale, and to reinforce this new talent/make sure they didn’t fuck it up entirely, enlisted the help of the two greatest hearts and minds they had in their books. Enter; Howard Ashman and Alan Menken.

Ashman’s health was deteriorating fast by this point, so the studio moved the entire production of the film from London to New York so he could help them re-configure the entire damn thing with his talents. He gave the film its cast of enchanted furniture, its villain and sidekick in Gaston and Lefou, and of course its soundtrack, but that’s not all. Howard Ashman saw Beauty & the Beast as an extended metaphor for the AIDS crisis. The beast’s curse was a mirror of his own; he felt ostracised, isolated, as if he was hurting everyone he loved and his only hope for survival was a miracle. The song “Kill The Beast” was written to reflect the violent, oppressive stigma surrounding the epidemic, too. There’s a whole thematic layer to this film that the vast majority of its audience will never notice nor appreciate, and that in itself makes those themes even more poignant. Sadly, Ashman passed away before Beauty & the Beast was released, but his legacy will live on forever through this film and its soundtrack.

A true hero.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

send photo:

I fight this a lot (that Stockholm Syndrome though) but objectively speaking this is the best Disney movie.

GhettoPrincess:

I’ve always wanted an enchanted rose in a glass thanks to this movie. Also that ballroom dance sequence is gorgeous.

HollyDunnSomething:

Of all the Disney lovers I know this is probably the most popular overall. Beautifully done.

Rem, GimmeWork, send photo and 15 others like this.
  12. Which means Popjustice's Top Three Disney films are:

[​IMG]

We did good, ladies.

[​IMG]

Rem, GimmeWork, send photo and 14 others like this.
  13. I am disgusted.

stuaw, MollieSwift21 and Animalia like this.
  14. YAS Mulan.

[​IMG]

stuaw, Rem, send photo and 6 others like this.
  15. A solid Top 3.

The Lion King to take home the crown, please.

2014, ohnostalgia, Animalia and 2 others like this.
  16. I actually had a (fake) rose in a glass, haha. I saw it at a garage sale (because 90s) and made my Mom get it for me!

Animalia likes this.
  17. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Beauty and the Beast just missed my list. My 5th place movie and this are just about equal.

Mulan's a pop justice fave I guess.

stuaw and Animalia like this.
  18. How dare you.

[​IMG]

19. She's definitely become the Emma Bunton of the rate, toppling all these giant films/songs.

Animalia likes this.
  20. The Little Mermaid and Mulan are my 1st and 2nd favourite Disney films so I'm happy. Not enough to make me get over Part of Your World crashing out at 6th place but still.

stuaw, Mina and Animalia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.