The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 161 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Beauty and the Beast is incredible. Sad to see it out but it still slayed!

2. Mulan you're doing amazing sweetie

3. Whoa, I honestly expected Beauty and the Beast to be #1.

Animalia and stuaw like this.
  4. I have never in my whole entire Disney-stanning life understood what people see in I'll Make A Man Out Of You. Keep it, Donny.

EDIT: DDDDDD I thought it was still in. Reflection is still doing way too well.

stuaw and Animalia like this.
  5. Well I didn't see that coming. Nothing against Mulan, just not really an all-time favorite or anything. Little Mermaid has to have this though, so you'd think.

stuaw and Animalia like this.
  6. After Part of Your World's placement anything can happen.

I feel like The Lion King will win for the film so I hope Reflection or Colours gets best song.

stuaw, Animalia, Mina and 1 other person like this.
  7. The Lion King surely has the #1 film in the bag.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Animalia and stuaw like this.
  8. Three battlers remain.

But only two can make it to the grand final.

[​IMG]

The Little Mermaid

[​IMG]

The Lion King

[​IMG]

Mulan

Who will fall at the final hurdle?

Find out...

Tonight.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  9. What a great write up for Beauty & the Beast!!! Thank you @Animalia for your continued dedication to making us laugh, cry and giving us the true T.

The Lion King and Mulan having top 3 for Songs and Movies has be shook! I'm not mad about it at all but I went into this thinking Beauty & the Beast, Little Mermaid and Aladdin had top 3 on lock! I'm glad Mulan, Pocahontas and the kitties outlasted to keep me on my toes!

stuaw and DJHazey like this.
  10. Also I'm currently doing a prayer to the fishy queens of gaydom that The Little Mermaid makes the Top 3 movies since it's been shut out of the songs already!

[​IMG]

Holly Something and DJHazey like this.
  11. The Little Mermaid doesn't have the range the other two do.

Mina and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  12. Heeeee-ere we go!

3rd

[​IMG]

Mulan (1998)

5 Points: @Mina, @eccentricsimply, @Reboot
    4 Points: @send photo, @HollyDunnSomething, @Mikl C, @ephemeralartery, @Stradiwhovius
    3 Points: @constantino, @GhettoPrincess, @aniraz
    2 Points: @Conan, @Serg., @LKane, @MamaHazey
    1 Point: @Animalia

Okay, firstable – I demand you all listen to this while we celebrate this victory.

And oh yes, this result is a victory. I have no idea why some of you were surprised to see Mulan do so well on the damn Popjustice dot com forum, this little corner of the internet that draws its very life force from the degradation of straight men and empowerment of women. Mulan is a full 87-minute feature dedicated to that very art. Disney had portrayed strong women before this film, of course; Esmeralda, Pocahontas, Megara (mariahgrave.gif), etc. were all fantastic characters, but cunning wits and a strong resolve only get them so far before a big brave man had to come along and save the day. Mulan takes one look at that trope and effortlessly dismantles it with a giant fuck-off firework to the face. Our leading lady is an incredibly strong female character, without falling into the Hollywood trap of just being a physically strong woman. Mulan's strength lies in her intelligence, perception and honour. She uproots her life and puts herself in direct danger not just out of some innate, indescribable sense of not belonging or wanting more like most Disney protagonists, but to protect her father who had done the same for her in the past. She proves herself equal with her intentions and actions, and then proves herself superior by just happening to save all of China along the way. Not everyone has that.

[​IMG]

It’s a risky game, opening a film with a song about how women are only good for giving birth to sons so you can then go on to flip that notion on its head by having a woman accomplish what not one of those sons could possibly have, but Mulan plays that game with the right attitude and enough tact to keep it respectful throughout and to deliver a satisfying, enlightening conclusion. The key is that Mulan doesn’t succeed by abandoning her femininity to become “more of a man” – her success is rooted in her being a woman. When the men around her see no option but brute force, her experience, willpower and intelligence are what lead them to victory. Having the men choose to side with her over their superior and masquerade as women to save the day in the finale is a bitsy we-have-to-make-it-obvious-for-the-kids, but it’s a cute mirror of Mulan’s role, and it only happens after she’s worked twice as hard to earn their trust and respect, which is an unfortunate but important truth of the film’s message. Anyway welp, I’ve done that thing again where I’ve said not very much with a lot of words and I haven't even touched upon how funny this film is, how fantastic and representative its cast is, how respectful and faithful it is to the culture and people being portrayed or how goddamn beautiful it is, so please accept this abridged illustration of my feelings towards Mulan and hopefully I'll have time to gush some more when all is said and done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HollyDunnSomething:

Just a really great film. Plus Li Shang is hot.

send photo:

Great lead, beautiful songs, beautiful story, beautiful Li.

GhettoPrincess:

I just love the woman in a typical man’s role and being kickass. It was so anti-stereotypical of a Disney girl and I’ll always appreciate that. The supporting characters shine too.

Stradiwhovius:

Mulan is my favourite of the disney princesses: Smart, strong, elegant, and unfailingly modest. Supported by plot of strong themes of feminism and the nature of honour, Eddie Murphy being shockingly good, and some especially gorgeous animation, it's near enough perfect. The only real weak link is that Shan Yu is a boring villain but he also gets blown up by fireworks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  13. I'm really pleased that Mulan lasted this far. It definitely far exceeded my expectations. Growing up in the '90s I was never very into Disney movies because most of the princess-focused movies seemed to tell the same story - a princess is in trouble and relies on other people's help to save her, and she inevitably ends up living happily ever after with the handsome prince who inevitably rescues her and sweeps her off her feet. In short, she never seems to have much agency or take much initiative in her own life She's a victim of her circumstances and doesn't really grow beyond that. I was 11 when Mulan came out, and even then, I appreciated that Mulan was different, but in a good way. What she doesn't initially have in terms of grace and poise she far exceeds in terms of courage, loyalty, and honor. She's pragmatic and, while certainly not fearless or beyond intimidation, faces the challenging situations head-on and emerges victorious. In a way, she's a Disney heroine before her time. Kids of today have the Elsas, the Meridas, the Moanas, etc., but at least we had Mulan.

Beautiful writeup, @Animalia.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. I forgot to mention that I saw Coco on Monday night. I was not emotionally prepared for how much of a mess I was at the end. Literal tears. Twice!

15. Fun fact!

The animators rendered over 2000 people in this scene, as well as 2000 horses. Only six men survive the avalanche, giving Mulan a final body count of 3,994 - the highest in Disney herstory. Ruthless queen.

In fact, the only people with a higher body count are the campers in The Slasher S1.

16. The Lion King, please. Not only is it one of my favourite Disney films, it’s one of my all-time favourite films full stop.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  17. The Little Mermaid for the win. I need something to go my way in this rate!

GimmeWork likes this.
  18. Fun fact: I once paid an obscene amount of money back in the early noughties for The Little Mermaid on DVD. It was back when they still did that silly "vault" thing and only released films once every decade or whatever, plus DVDs weren't as common back then. I think I paid £40. Worth it.

Edit: oh wait, I've just Googled and apparently the Disney Vault is still a thing? Eaux. I didn't think that would work in the streaming age.

Mvnl, Mina and Holly Something like this.
  19. I think only in the USA & Canada

stuaw likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.