The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Did I step on the toes of a forum favorite? Already?

[​IMG]

Hello, dearests.

constantino, GimmeWork, Serg. and 5 others like this.
  2. I saw many people rooting for this and a few others even mentioned it as possible winner, so you must wait a long time to see this one go out.

I also found the song meh and gave it an average score but it's not a surprising score from us since we're both in the Unapologetic Taste team.

alanmr likes this.
  3. The Tarzan songs are SO good.

4. There are popstars that would kill to get their hands on a chorus as huge as the one in "I'll Make a Man".

5. I want something from Oliver and Company to go. You can tell just how badly it wants to be hip and doesn't remotely get there, and it's really annoying. "Streets of Gold", in particular. (Did I at any point indicate I wanted an insipid late-80's dance-pop number in my Disney film? I don't think I did.)

Mvnl likes this.
  6. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything from anything pre-Oliver that should go next.

7. Ha, and I love the Oliver & Company songs! But I'm old enough to have nostalgia for insipid late-'80s dance pop. (I will not be shocked if "Streets of Gold" is next out.)

8. Y'all are terrible at this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I See An Elephant Fly

Highest Scores: 9 x2 (@2014, @Remorque)
    Lowest Scores: 0 x4 (@send photo, @DJHazey, @Mushroom, @Lost In Japan.)

My Score: 4

Centuries from now, when the world is but a desolate, post-apocalyptic wasteland of dust and garbage á la Wall·E, data-mining historians will unearth the results of this rate from a defunct computer buried far beneath the rotting corpse of what used to be Edinburgh, and heated debates will rage about how a society that managed to do so much wrong, managed to get this one thing so, so right. We did it. We did that. The three most infamously misjudged musical moments in Disney animation history brutally – nay, gleefully – massacred at the very first hurdle. God I love this stupid forum.

In all fairness, the situation is slightly more oblique this time round. The song itself isn’t directly offensive; on the contrary, it’s quite nice. A jaunty wee ditty written and composed by Disney legends Frank Churchill and Ned Washington filled with dumb puns, dancing and a suitably triumphant, emotional reprise to match the finale of the film itself. I really rather enjoy it for what it is, hence my fairly amicable score. But at the end of the day, the issues at the song’s core are too hard for me to ignore. Disney have had to learn the hard way that it’s all in the presentation. Was it really, truly necessary to portray the crows as such a heavy-handed African American stereotype, especially when their leader was being voiced by – you guessed it – a white guy? And Cliff Edwards provided Jiminy Cricket’s voice too, so this isn’t his natural tone, it was a deliberate choice. A choice, I say. At least the backing vocals were provided by the predominantly-African American Hall Johnson choir, not everyone has that, Peter Pan. But regardless, the way in which the crows were portrayed in Dumbo was, yes, an artefact of its time, but ignoring how reckless and harmful those stereotypes are isn’t doing anyone any favours. Oh, and there’s one more piece of the puzzle that tips it over into DEFINITELY NOT OKAY territory. The lead crow? He was referred to in the film script as “Jim Crow” – as in, he was named after the laws that enforced racial segregation in the southern US, which in turn were named after an infamous blackface entertainer. So… there’s that.

kalonite echoes pretty much exactly what I said – “I scored this higher than What Made The Red Man Red and The Siamese Cat Song because the song itself isn’t inherently racist. It can be performed in an entirely unproblematic way. Those crows, though. Eugh.” – and y’all will just have to trust me that I had it written down first. constantino picks up on those unfortunate truths, too: “Were the crows supposed to reference Jim Crow? If so, yikes. Regardless, musically speaking the reprise is wonderful and fills me with joy.” We hit the third and final of Reboot’s catalogue of exasperated “Hmmm”s, but send photo breaks his fucking off streak for something more… unexpected: “Eep, forgot about the crows.” I bet Disney wish they could. MollieSwift21 plays out the social justice parade with a cry of “Extremely offensive!” as we move on to greener, happier pastures.

“The epitome of fun,” 2014 celebrates, “but Dumbo always made me so sad.” Oh. DJHazey just isn’t having it: “I really can’t stand to listen to another second of this particular style of music.”, and LKane feels the same: “No, no, no… just no. So hard to follow the melody on this one.” Sorry, I can’t pass up a chance to post that. “Dumbo just doesn’t do much for me,” GimmeWork admits, “This is the best song from it in my opinion.” Oops. Like myself, MamaHazey appreciates the silly humour – “I love the puns.” – while Sprockrooster prefers the more straight-forward, joyful finale: “Loving the reprise a little bit more as the first one is a bit boring. Even Dumbo and its manager seem to be bored.” I imagine it takes a lot to bore a flying elephant, so that’s saying something. Raichu offered up probably the most positive comment: “Funky, unique, and a hell of a lot cooler than most of the rest of these early songs. The melody is ‘talky’, but in a good way. Feels like this might be a tad problematic, but I’m still bopping.”, and as our farewell, we see Remorque’s one and only piece of commentary in the rate: “I relate to this…”

I have no idea what you mean, but I think you need a hug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. That...was not my lowest scored Dumbo track.

DJHazey and Animalia like this.
  10. Wait... the lead crow was named Jim? Ooh, that's... ooh.

But, yeah. Good solid swing number at its core, nice and catchy, just didn't need the stereotypes. I think I had some Disney compilation as a kid, that had a non-stereotypical cover on it that proves that, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

DJHazey, Animalia and Sprockrooster like this.
  11. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

I haven't watched this movie in years and in Portuguese certainly those references aren't as easy to catch

As it is, I should've paid more attention and given this a 0

12. Jim Crow?!

Oh wow.

DJHazey and Animalia like this.
  13. Though I like the crow song, it's good to get the problematic stuff out first.

Animalia likes this.
  14. It must be a celestial omen of good fortune - to coincide with the reveal phase of this rate, one of my favorite blogs has posted this hilarity today including this lovely Disney-related story:

Which one of you teebs was it?

15. Had no idea about the Jim Crow angle, I just hated the song altogether. Thank goodness I gave that shit a 0.

Animalia likes this.
  16. Also, I still have plenty of 0s.

Mina likes this.
  17. But it's kind of amazing?

Reboot, aniraz, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  18. I think a lot of things are bound to get lost in translation like that, much like @Sprockrooster basing his score for The Siamese Cat Song on the Dutch version where the accents aren't quite as bad. Consider yourselves lucky teebs.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Oh god, those (fake) accents in the dutch version.

Which also reminds me. Timon and Pumbaa had some sort of accent as well, which in the dutch version oddly got replaced by two flemish voices. Always found that choice a tad bit random too.

Remorque likes this.
  20. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

One of my favorite songs is from the Golden era and I'm really unsure how it's going to do here. Hope it's not done wrong!

Holly Something and Animalia like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.