The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I'm Flounder and this is me at the prospect of my faves being done wrong.

[​IMG]

GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  2. Oh same. I'm rating the film versions exclusively myself (because they're all superior anyway), I just mean if someone wants to throw Reflection a few extra points cause they love Christina, there's not much I can do to stop them!

send photo likes this.
  3. Yes, the problem I have is that aside from Lion King and Beauty and the Beast I only know the Dutch versions. So I am basing my score on that, cause this is so much nostalgia and being accustomed to the Dutch version, makes an English version a bit bland. But in my commentary I will always reflect on the English (too).

Remorque and Animalia like this.
  4. I hadn't even thought of that! What kind of international, multilingual impact? Shakira who???

send photo and Sprockrooster like this.
  5. Some of these are really good. The Dutch Version of 'Be Our Guest' is miles ahead for me. But in some cases the opposite happened. I mean, Circle of Life is so strong lyrically it is impossible to translate it to have that same power.

Trivia time: The foreign versions are all thoroughly checked by Disney before they were officially put in the movie.

Remorque and Animalia like this.
  6. It always amazes me how well most of the voices match up in non-English versions, and the fact that they always manage to translate it so the songs still rhyme just blows my mind.

7. It must have cost a lot of time. But in the case of 'Be Our Guest' a literal translation would be 'Wees onze gast', when it is called 'Kom erbij', which means 'Join in'. It isnot a direct translation, but it definitely has the same feel.

send photo likes this.
  8. "Tom Elvis Jedusor" teas

Animalia and Lost In Japan. like this.
  9. I just looked this up and consider me shook. The world works in mysterious ways.

Laura Vanderbooben likes this.
  10. Awesome! I'll be writing about my childhood then basically.

DJHazey and Animalia like this.
  11. That will probably be the easier part, my list is pretty set in stone. I could probably send it in before my actual song scores, too.

I'll definitely write commentary for the movies, I'm thinking I might just do numbers for the songs, to be honest, and do commentary as we reveal. I have a fair bit of work to do over this holiday.

Animalia likes this.
  12. I think I just really liked your artwork you posted in the rates thread, ha. I'm not that into Disney, I believe, and their songs respectively. Maybe this can be a learning experience to me, I'll see if I can do this.

Animalia likes this.
  13. I don't think I can do this, babe. Sorry! I'm not a big fan of Disney films and I also don't know, like, 90% of these songs (tragic, I know). But for sure, I will follow this rate and like your write-ups. <3

send photo and Animalia like this.
  14. No worries if ya can't make it guys, thanks for checking in!
    Feel free to send your film scores in before the songs if that makes things easier for you! I found it pretty difficult, my top four were always set in stone but the competition for the last spot was fierce.

send photo and Slice of Life like this.
  15. No Carrot Stew? Colour me disappointed.

In its absence, Under The Sea or Kiss The Girl should win.

Animalia likes this.
  16. You can bet Kiss the Girl is going to get some extra points because of this being such a bop:

It's all about the intro, middle eight, and questionable falsetto vocals towards the end.

17. [​IMG]

Anyone fancy sharing some early predictions on this fine afternoon? Which will be our highest rated soundtrack, and which film will take the crown in the second part? Hmmm.

send photo, bichard and Sprockrooster like this.
  18. Predictions... well, gonna be a Renaissance film that wins it, innit. My own choice would be The Hunchback of Notre Dame, thanks to Menken's truly brilliant liturgy-influenced pieces, but either of the Menken/Ashman soundtracks would make me quite happy if they won. (OK, obviously Fantasia has the best music, but that doesn't really count.)

As for the films, I will do my level best to ensure that it is one of the five from the Golden Age. Others that I would be happy to see win:
    Lady and the Tramp
    Sleeping Beauty
    One Hundred and One Dalmatians
    The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty and the Beast

Aester and Animalia like this.
  19. I think The Little Mermaid will probably end up doing extremely well in terms of its songs.

20. I think the soundtrack will be between The Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast, but Aladdin and Pocahontas hopefully have a shot in the films category.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Animalia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.