The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 58 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I remain unapologetic. The voices grate.

2. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

No no no. That at least has got to be a dark horse to make the top 20.

Animalia and Mina like this.
  3. A Guy Like You should not be out considering some of what is left!

Animalia, Mvnl and LKane like this.
  4. NO. That has to make the top 10. If it gets passed over for some overrated trite like "A Whole New World"...

5. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

Oh now I feel bad for being so harsh, especially because I haven't seen the movie in so long and completely forgot the gargoyles were illusions.

Animalia likes this.
  6. I proudly gave A Guy Like You a big fat 0. The gargoyles in Hunchback are terrible.

DJHazey and Animalia like this.
  7. [​IMG]

8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Is there any prove of the gargoyles being imaginitive in the movie?
    Been a while since I last saw it but I always took it for a sort of Toy Story 'hide when other people come around' thing.
    Them being Quasi's fantasy makes sense though.

Animalia likes this.
  9. A bit late but since Baby Mine was a 10 for me.... The Baby Mine Dumbo sequence is for me the second most heart wrenching Disney sequence, bested only by the Bambi's mother gets shot sequence.
    As someone already posted, Todd being abandoned in the woods from Fox & The Hound comes a close third.

Mikl C, Ironheade and Animalia like this.
  10. Whoops so you did! Thankfully it was in the spreadsheet, I just missed it when doing the write-up. Fixed now!
    To be fair, I think it is more of a fan theory-turned-canon. It's things like them becoming inanimate when anyone walks in (especially at the end of A Guy Like You, when all the fancy scenery turns out to be trash too), Frollo asking Quasi who he was talking to as if no one else was there, and Quasi himself admitting at one point that he knows stone can't talk. There's no real "magic" in Hunchback, so them being imaginary makes most sense!

Apparently the sequel totally ruined it by having the new love interest be able to see/hear them too though, but that's why we don't talk about direct-to-video Disney sequels. (Except you, Simba's Pride. You rock.)

Holly Something, send photo and Mvnl like this.
  11. Oh and:
    Someday was written to replace God Help The Outcasts at one point 'cause the directors felt the film needed something more "uplifting", but it was eventually scrapped for Outcasts again to fit the religious theme.
    Aw thanks fan, hope your exams went well! <3

12. I have a question for y'all.

You like jazz?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When We’re Human

Highest Score: 9 x1 (@Sprockrooster), 8.5 x1 (@Ironheade)
    Lowest Score: 3 x2 (@Sideout, @DJHazey)
    My Score: 4.5

Poor Louis. All he wanted to do was bring joy to the world through the infectious joy [citation needed] of the jazz trumpet, and here we are relegating him to the late-70s. We’re just as bad as those prejudiced humans dismissing him out of fear of death by alligator; we should be ashamed.

Or, we could just agree that lovable sidekick shenanigans aside, this song is just a bit of a racket. I appreciate that Disney put such a focus on jazz music for The Princess & The Frog’s soundtrack, given the setting (La La Land hew? No really.), but personally I don’t think it was executed particularly well and it’s an acquired taste that’s just not particularly acquired around these parts. Ask Gaga. When We’re Human is just a bit all over the place teebs, and it doesn’t really offer much in terms of advancing the plot or characterisation either – well, other than tarnishing Tiana’s legacy with some of the most awkwardly try-hard, annoyingly on-the-nose lyrics in the Disney canon:

Your modesty becomes you
    And your sense of responsibility
    I've worked hard for everything I've got
    And that's the way it's supposed to be

When I'm a human being
    At least I'll act like one
    If you do your best each and every day
    Good things are sure to come your way

What you give is what you get
    My daddy said that
    And I'll never forget
    And I recommend it to you

… mess.

At least DJHazey gives Louis the credit he so craves, even if it is a touch shady: “A New Orleans-based story had to have a song like this, didn’t it? Nice trumpet play, beautiful trumpet play.” Is it though? Looks like iheartpoptarts isn’t a fan of the genre either: “I’m not really loving the whole jazz theme going on here, btu this one is more fun.” but king of musical diversity MollieSwift21 adds another genre to their stan card: “A lot of fun and the jazz sound is great. Rose and Campos’ voices work well together.” LKane sits on the fence: “Don’t like the song when the crocodile sings.. but when the frogs sings it gets better. So it’s a 50/ 50 for me.” and backs it up with a perfectly average five. Mina falls firmly on one said, just offering “Oh dear.”, and eccentricsimply has doubts too: “The music is good, but I don’t know what’s missing?” Me with most of the film’s soundtrack teebs. Raichu is “Starting to run out of things to say about these songs that sound like other Disney songs.”, and isn’t the only one to note an in-house similarity. Highest scorer Sprockrooster calls it “A sister song to ‘Human Again’ and I am all here for it.”, while constantino gets his life: “This swamp BOP. It’s essentially I Wanna Be Like You: the swampz remix, but I love IWBLY so I can’t be mad.” Finally, Reboot asks the important question: “On a scale from 1 to 10, how unnecessary was giving the frog version of Tiana eyelashes?” nn yas get them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  13. I always feel the tense in my chest when I see "Animalia mentioned you in a post"... c'mon. It's a bop.

(Certainly a better jazz movie than the two jazz movies from the end of Walt's life, anyway.)

alanmr and Animalia like this.
  14. I like the crocodile's tragic life story but the song he was given is not it. The same can be said about the rest of the soundtrack, I guess.

Animalia likes this.
  15. Jazz just isn't my cup of tea.

Animalia likes this.
  16. Ok I see your point... but certainly not before we get rid of the rest of Oliver & Co and that mess of a movie Brother Bear!

alanmr and Mvnl like this.
  17. [​IMG]

I can't take Y'all! Stop doing Princess & The Frog dirty! Especially when Brother Bear is still in this somehow!!!

18. Living for these write ups like...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

kalonite, Sprockrooster and alanmr like this.
  19. I have this weird thing with the Princess and the Frog, having not watched the movie: I have no idea what it's about, how it goes, or who these people are. Seeing the videos for the rate, I was deeply confused (we have a hardworking woman who wants to open a restaurant, a semi-sleazy dude who makes a pact with the demon from AHS: Coven apparently, and then frog shenanigans and Tiana is/was/finds out she is a princess, somehow?) It feels all over the place, but these numbers are all so much fun that I fell in love with almost all of them for this rate, even devoid of all context, so seeing y'all dismiss them so easily is sad.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  20. A jazz song leaving this early?

[​IMG]

Me not giving a jazz song full marks, but still being the highest scorer

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.