The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 60 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. No, I thought it was much better too! Let's get rid of a few Tarzan songs before "On My Way" goes.

Animalia and send photo like this.
  2. YES!

3. This is going pretty good so far. Nothing essential has left yet. I'm a little nervous for my 11. It won't go out early, but I feel like it won't go as far as it should.

I think some songs suffered from the fact that Disney music can be very formulaic. In some cases, I felt like I was hearing the same song over and over. It got tiring, so some songs might have fallen victim to my annoyance. But then again, it's their fault for not being more unique.

I like Shiny from Moana because it's very different, but I have a feeling its days are numbered.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  4. Well this is awkward when I thought Princess and the Frog has the best musical soundtrack of the late era films.

5. I LOVE Shiny!

LKane, Animalia, Sideout and 3 others like this.
  6. We just might be able to make it stay in the race a while longer, by our powers combined. Shiny is great!

Animalia, Holly Something and Raichu like this.
  7. I'm helping keep this one afloat, Shiny deserves to stay much longer.

8. IT'S NOT MIDNIGHT YET I DIDN'T LIE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bella Notte

Highest Score: 10 x1 (@Sprockrooster), 9 x1 (@Raichu)
    Lowest Score: 1 x1 (@Subwaykid), 3 x4 (@Mushroom, @Daniel!, @GimmeWork, @DJHazey)
    My Score: 6

So this has to be one of the most iconic scenes in animated film history, right? I mean, hardly a chequered tablecloth or sliver of spaghetti can pass by without conjuring up images of overwrought canine romance and dramatic Italian opera. It’s a scene synonymous with Disney, with love, with meatballs the world over, and that ain’t about to change any time soon. Unfortunately what has changed is the appreciation for Bella Notte itself. Of course, it serves its purpose fantastically well in the film, and no doubt has added to the nostalgia surrounding the scene over the decades, but be real with me for a sec – would any of you ever seek this out and listen to it on its own? Does it have a place on your weekend Spotify playlists? Does it soothe you during intense work/study sessions? Would you pop your puss to it if it came on in the clerb? I… didn’t think so. It suffers a lot when taken out of context of the film, but it’s still universally renowned and adored, and no one can take that away from it.

DJHazey tries his best though: “Yes, the spaghetti romance is freakin’ adorable and it’s lucky it is because otherwise I’d be handing out a 0.”, and GimmeWork gives us an unnecessary insight into their personal life before suggesting a truly terrifying modern alternative: “Doggy romance is cute but I’m bored. If Lady and the Tramp was made today their romantic song would probably be Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay by Snoop Dog.” Harrowing stuff. MollieSwift21: “The scene is better than the song itself.” and Sprockrooster: “This song benefits so much from it’s iconic scene.” are on the same page, and MamaHazey laminates her membership card for the club: “This is a right romantic moment, yet not memorable for the song itself. Instead, everyone will always remember the ‘spaghetti kiss’ which sets the stage for their relationship.” Welp I just realised I accidentally plagiarised Mushroom’s commentary, I swear it wasn't intentional sis – great minds think alike! “An iconic moment in film history but… would I ever (EVER) want to listen to this in isolation? No sir.”

iheartpoptarts breaks character for a sec – “To be honest, I always thought that pasta scene was the cheesiest thing ever.” – but teebs it’s just making me hungry. Would you rather a pasta scene without cheese? No ma’am. constantino savours the delicious thought too: “And spaghetti and meatballs were never the same again. Italian cuisine was shaken to its very core that night.” yas Nigella is SHOOK. Mina just calls it “Pleasant”, while LKane opts for a slightly less friendly adjective: “This is the most representative song of the movie, but it feels kind of boring for me… sorry.” eccentricsimply dubs this “The most romantic moment of any Disney movie ever.”, and Raichu is feeling the love too: “I would prefer this sung in a softer tone for the entire song, but again, I’m a sucker for this moonlight shit.” The lovely send photo’s gonna play us out this time, with a video I haven’t quite managed to summon up the courage to click play on yet:

I apologise in advance if it’s an unholy mess, please redirect all complaints to @send photo.

[​IMG]

9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

See, that GIF of Lady and Tramp completely captures my sentiment about most early Disney classics.
    The mere shot is just such a classic, just like Peter & Wendy sailing the skies, Bambi greeting a skunk or the dwarfs walking home from the mine. If only the entire movies could give me the same feeling as seeing a GIF, still, or montage. But no, they bore me and make me feel like I've lost my childhood and soul.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Sprockrooster and alanmr like this.
  10. Yeah, the song does suffer a bit when taken out of the film's context. But their context within the film was something I tried to take into account with all the songs, hence my generous score. And I know that Tony and-a Joe who own-a da pasta shop are big honkin' stereotypes... but the song just has too much charm to ignore, damn it. Well done again to Peggy Lee.

funkyg and Mvnl like this.
  11. With that intro, I was hoping for a Cinderella cut.

Oh well. This'll do.

Sprockrooster, LKane and Mvnl like this.
  12. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

The scene spaghetti scene is a great moment.

Princess in the Frog is nice but in all the classic musicals I feel like there's always at least one moment that really makes you stop and think wow but there just isn't one. Some of animation isn't the greatest either which is sad with it being the last hand drawn one. It's like the company didn't fully believe in chances of doing well.

Mvnl likes this.
  13. I'm over at my Mom's house now and she said she understands some of the older 10s being gone but "thinks some people don't know what good music is, if they're eliminating Frozen songs already".

Mama Hazey agrees with all the Oliver & Co haters and wants those to start exiting the rate.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    GimmeWork and Ironheade like this.
  14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Those Oliver songs felt like an 80s attempt of the Phil Collins approach for Tarzan.
    Apart from Phil not being that cool at that time, and some songs still being sung by the characters.
    But Disney characters singing 'current' pop just didn't work. Might have at the time, but after all these years it just made the songs and movie very of its time. Even the very earliest Disneys feel more timeless.

GimmeWork, Ironheade and Mina like this.
  15. [​IMG]

16. I want your mom to adopt me.

17. Yeah, it really doesn't work. I don't know why, but I can accept an 18th-century French girl singing Broadway ballads, but make animals in the Indian jungle start doing scat-singing jazz (something that I have no problem with, but which is very of its time nonetheless) and the anachronism sits badly with me.

And let me just say, if they were going to do a "current pop" musical, 1988 was a bad time to do it. (Even then, I have to imagine Huey Lewis felt like a dated choice of artist.)

18. Nn why was I so harsh with these scores for animated children's movies.

Holly Something likes this.
  19. She adopted me, so why not?

alanmr likes this.
  20. Let's be sisters! *immediately changes avatar to Anna*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.