The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 72 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Crap I wish I'd used this instead. Iconic.

2. These Oliver & Company eliminations are not cute.

I've never seen the film and don't plan to, but those songs are bops.

Animalia and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  3. It's time we said goodbye to a giant of the competition.

kii

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heigh-Ho

Highest Score: 10 x2 (@DJHazey, @Serg.)
    Lowest Score: 1 x1 (@Subwaykid), 2 x1 (@Daniel!)
    My Score: 5.5

It doesn’t get much more iconic than this, my friends. I mean really, this has to be one of the most famous, most instantly recognisable songs in film history, right? From the opening rallying calls, to the whistling, to the dig-dig-digs, to that annoyingly infectious chorus, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who couldn’t at least hum the tune to this timeless classic. I’d say that along with When You Wish Upon A Star, it’s one of the quintessential Golden Age moments, perfectly capturing the spirit and magic of the early years of Disney animation. And for that reason, I do regret not throwing it a few extra points, but I can safely say I’ve struggled to listen to it in full in literally over a decade, so… yeah. Time for everyone’s favourite part of a write-up though – a history lesson! The phrase “heigh-ho” was first recorded in 1553, and was originally an expression of weariness, like a yawn; the relentless cheeriness of this song alone is responsible for turning it into an overbearingly earnest greeting over the decades following it, so yas get that impact Disney. Literally changing the English language. The melody of the song was inspired by an 1848 piano composition by Robert Schumann titled “The Happy Farmer, Returning From Work”, which is quite nice and appropriate, I guess. Here it is, if anyone fancies a gander.

Of course, there’s vast world of pop culture references to the song we could go through, but honestly it peaked with making it into the dwarven vocabulary in a Final Fantasy game so what’s the point. I do have one question for y’all though. Has anyone ever heard this version?

Heigh-ho, heigh-ho
    It’s off to work we go
    With a bucket and a spade and a hand grenade
    Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, heigh-ho, heigh-ho

It was a playground staple in my primary school and I’ve always wondered whether it was in a cartoon or something or just a messy Glaswegian colloquialism. Enlighten me.

Raichu opens the floor for comments with a pun: “Heigh-No”. Heigh-larious. GimmeWork issues us a challenge: “Just try not to get this stuck in your head!”, and LKane happily meets it: “For some reason I never liked this song. But I know it is a classic and how representative it is to Disney’s Classics so, that’s why I’m rating it with 5, but I really dislike it, too much repetitive for me I guess.” Great minds think alike! On that note, Mushroom has it right too: “Not an outright favourite of mine but a testament to just how durable Disney songs can be. Eighty years later and most people would still be able to sing that top-line. Not everybody has it.” Some of you do genuinely love it though – GhettoPrincess falls for the cheery charm: “This is has such a catchy ‘chorus’ and ultimately the first song I think of when it comes to Snow White.”, and 2014 just can’t stop smiling, cutie: “This makes me so happy, such an earworm and a perfect indicator just how important the soundtracks could be to their films.” Sprockrooster opts to vote for his favourite version again: “This one is so weird in English after being accustomed to the Dutch one. Let me rate the Dutch one for the sake of this song.” and now I wanna know what the Dutch for “heigh-ho” is. I bet I’ll be disappointed.

MollieSwift21 sees another opportunity to mention working at DisneyWorld: “The amount of times that I've had this song in my head is unreal. The animation during this scene is really pretty too. The mine train ride makes good use of the song too.” My jealousy grows stronger with every passing day. Mina’s feeling nostalgic: “From a more innocent time, when there wasn't another connotation to ‘Ho.’”, and constantino reminisces about simpler times too: “I’m not usually here for male vocals but the dwarfs really turned it out here. I would’ve scored this higher but whistle hooks are so 2012...” Thank fuck this is our last song with terrible whistling in it though. I think? I might’ve blocked some out. DJHazey chucks it a sympathetic 10, reasoning: “I don't even remember the dig-dig-dig part, but once the heigh-hos and whistling kicks in I feel right at home. That part of the video when they cross the tree that forms a bridge, will also be ingrained in most of us forever. I've also caught myself singing variations of this song at opportune times in my life.” Get yo life! Poor unfortunate send photo is having flashbacks to childhood trauma though: “One year my friend went as Dopey for Halloween and got all the attention. Fair enough though, pretty sure I was a bat slapped together last minute. I was bitter all the same.”

Aw, I thought you looked cute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. I hate the world.

Yeah, it's "Heigh-Ho". An earworm and a half that introduces some of the most delightful supporting comic characters in all of cinema, what's not to like? Shame we don't get to rate the dwarves showing off their instrumental skills later on in the film. I mean, Dopey drops the most iconic drum solo of all time there, Neil Peart hew?

5. That's what I thought when I saw the movie the other day,

Animalia and Ironheade like this.
  6. Once Upon A Time... and Streets of Gold are both great. What are you binches playing at?!

Animalia likes this.
  7. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Heigh-Ho should have lasted longer!

I also like the 80's soundtrack that is Oliver and Company. Interesting that it was so polarizing.

I'm continually impressed with movie strip gifs @Animalia!

8. In my mind, Heigh-Ho was kinda iconic, but then I listened to it again for this rate and it just ... wasn't good. Maybe I'd prefer the Dutch version.

Animalia likes this.
  9. AH SO CUTE.

Also, apologies if today's eliminations are a bit late, I've got ton of stuff to do today. Have a wee hint to pass the time - the next cut is the first loss for its film, which means it's from one of:

Cinderella
    Sleeping Beauty
    101 Dalmatians
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty & The Beast
    Aladdin
    The Lion King
    Hercules
    Mulan
    Tarzan
    Lilo & Stitch
    Tangled

Any guesses?

10. My guess is Tangled.

Animalia, alanmr, GimmeWork and 2 others like this.
  11. Hmm. Could be Tangled? Maybe also "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes", given current scoring trends.

Animalia and GimmeWork like this.
  12. Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride, please and thanks!

My disappointment comes from it not being a new A*Teens song when it was a B-side on their single from the film.

Also it's naff.

Animalia, DJHazey, LKane and 3 others like this.
  13. I hope it's Tarzan or Hercules but yeah it's probably Tangled.

14. I fear something Golden Age and 101 Dalmations is probably the one... It better not be Sleeping Beauty.

In a perfect world it would be Little Mermaid.

Animalia, GimmeWork and LKane like this.
  15. (sorry long weekend..catching up..)
    YASSSS SIS! Cast those spells! So happy you liked the movie and GREAT write-up! This movie made my top 5.

Animalia and alanmr like this.
  16. Tarzan PLEASE.

Dangerous Maknae, Animalia and LKane like this.
  17. Dead! Cannot. Stop. Cackling. You're too funny for your own good and we don't deserve you. Thanks for the amazing write ups!

18. Yep, I should have done the same. Princess and the Frog made my top 5 movies.. These cuts are devastating.

Animalia, ohnostalgia and alanmr like this.
  19. I'm hoping for Tangled, but I wouldn't be made at Tarzan or Hercules. Ever thing else needs LEFT ALONE!

Animalia, alanmr and Holly Something like this.
  20. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.