The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 75 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. "Hey, Napoleon! That sounds like the end!"

"Wait a minute! I'm the leader, I say when it's the end."

THE END.

"It's the end."​

GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  2. I don't know any Hercules songs with eleven in the title...?

stuaw, DJHazey, alanmr and 1 other person like this.
  3. WITH REASON.

Mina likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A Girl Worth Fighting For

Highest Score: 10 x1 (@aniraz), 9 x2 (@ephemeralartery, @Serg.)
    Lowest Score: 2 x1 (@DJHazey), 4 x4 (@Lost In Japan., @iheartpoptarts, @MollieSwift21, @Daniel!)
    My Score: 7.5

Oop, told you it wouldn’t be long before we start cutting from the good stuff. Mulan becomes the third Renaissance film to lose a track as we shift our focus from racism to sexism. Yay! This was always gonna be one of the more controversial songs of the era so I’m not too surprised to see it go early, but I think the point is that it’s a song about misogyny, rather than a song that revels in it like, say, What Made The Red Man Red? does in racism. Mulan is clearly shown to be uncomfortable during the scene, and the men delivering the somewhat sketchy lyrics are never portrayed as anything but foolish comic relief, at least until the very end of the film when they only get shit done by following Mulan’s command (and by dressing up as women). The three men, and their subsequent verses, are in themselves such overblown, comedic stereotypes that it’s quite clear to me that the song isn’t supposed to be taken seriously. Basically, taken out of context A Girl Worth Fighting For is a bit of a hard pass, but in the context of the film I think it does a good job of highlighting the issue and setting it up for the resolution, but without falling into the trap of exacerbating it in itself, if that makes sense?

Social issues aside, I definitely agree that this is the weakest song in the film. It does its job of filling in the marching scene and I like the militaristic feel they gave it with the drums, whistling and band-o’-brothers style chorus, but the only really noteworthy moment (other than some incredible animation) is the ending. OH HONEY THE ENDING. That smash cut is masterful, how it goes from a silly, joyous tune to silence, death and destruction in an instant and as a result further trivialises the idea of fighting “for a girl” ugh, it’s a proper punch to the emotional gut every damn time. Y’know, now I think about it I am kinda mad to see this go so soon. Fuck y’all.

Surprisingly few of you attempted to explain yourselves, but we’ll open with Reboot who, being female, has far more right to comment on the issue than myself: “*Sighs* Straight men.” You’ve come to the right place! DJHazey’s reign of terror over the results continues, as he justifies his low score with: “Right when I was starting to warm up to this movie a little, this big ‘meh’ comes along.” I’m pretty sure not liking Mulan is considered a hate crime in many circles, so watch your back. “Those lyrics are a bit of a kii” notes Sprockrooster, while LKane admits “Not my favourite… a bit repetitive.”, but MollieSwift21 has different priorities: “Poor Mulan during this whole song.” Okay but she didn’t need pity to SAVE ALL OF CHINA. “Quite fun,” Raichu starts, “but this is definitely the weakest of the Mulan songs. I love the part when Mulan imitates a dude.” So… the whole film?

I get the feeling kalonite’s been copying my homework again: “Disney has struggled with problematic songs in the past, but they seem to have finally realised that. Here we have (much like Savages) a song where the jokes are how ridiculous the misogynists are, and they do a good job at showing how uncomfortable this makes Mulan. The jokes are good, the song bounces along nicely, and then they undercut all the macho posturing with that shock ending, where they’re all faced with something actually important. I like this.” Hmm that Froot looks familiar sis. But really, the children! Won’t somebody please think of the children!? Oh, thanks constantino: “C’mon toxic masculinity! C’mon misogyny! C’mon heteronormativity! I do hope that the young boys and girls who watch this film are #woke enough to understand the ridiculousness of it all.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This song just annoyed me frankly. And after so many movies where almost all the music was on point it was just a bit 'oh...'

Animalia likes this.
  6. I'm surprised I wasn't a low scorer for that one, but I'm pretty sure I'll have that honour when the time to cut I'll Make a Man Out of You comes.

7. Yeah, this one's pretty meh. Yao, Ling and Chien Po are pretty funny for most of the film, they've got some charm here, but I think "I'll Make a Man Out of You" had it right by limiting their vocals, shall we say. Plus, it's one of the two places ("Honour to Us All" being the other) where the Bad Stereotypical Chinese Music comes out in full force.

Also, about Mulan. Not one of my favourite Disney films, no. I have Things to say about that little pissant of a dragon.

GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  8. I hope we eliminate something I gave a good score to soon, just to mix things up and show I did love something.

Also, @Animalia, Froot has been stripped from your vocabulary after what happened in the last Indie Girls rate and how you campaigned for most of it to occur. Thank you.

Animalia likes this.
  9. Hey, I gave Froot the song a 10!

DJHazey likes this.
  10. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

A girl worth fighting was the worst song left of the renaissance.

I would like Jungle Book songs to go. Moana songs are doing a bit too well too. A lot of them are nice but the only really great song is I Am Moana.

GimmeWork and LKane like this.
  11. A Girl Worth Fighting For is my least favourite song on an otherwise excellent soundtrack. I do appreciate the blatant ridiculousness of it, but compared to the rest of the songs it's not quite there.

Animalia likes this.
  12. Okay y'all will start giving Moana the respect she deserves or

or

I'll do something I dunno. But you've been warned.

13. [​IMG]

14. Yath Queen! I know it's far fetched, but I'm rooting for a How Far I'll Go/I Am Moana win and for the rest of the soundtrack to stay on for a long time.

Animalia likes this.
  15. Let's dig a little deeper into the Top 60.

*crowd boos*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dig A Little Deeper

Highest Score: 9 x3 (@GimmeWork, @Ironheade, @MamaHazey)
    Lowest Score: 4 x5 (@Epic Chocolat, @Sideout, @Mina, @funkyg, @iheartpoptarts)
    My Score: 7.5

Wow y’all really don’t like this soundtrack huh? We’ve only just broken the Top 60 and Almost There is its last song standing already, yikes. Poor ol’ Mama Odie and her little gospel anthem of self-love (wait) is your next victim, and I can’t really decide if I’m mad about it or not, which I guess says it all? It’s big, it’s funny, it practically oozes campy drama and attitude and Jenifer Lewis gives a stellar performance all round, yet it still feels lacking somehow – hence, I think, the lack of 10s. I’ll always get my life singing along when it comes on, but despite all the boisterous theatricality and joyous atmosphere, it just doesn’t have that indescribable magical quality that would lift it up into the realms amazingness for me. Personally I think I prefer Friends On The Other Side (even though I scored them the same, oops), but it’s nice to see good winning out over evil I guess. Interestingly, there are a lot of parallels and contrasts between Mama Odie & Facilier that I might as well mention here: they’re polar opposites in terms of appearance (one young, tall, skinny and dressed all in black, the other old, short, round and in white), and while Facilier exploits peoples’ selfish desires to give them what they want, Odie helps them by giving them what they unknowingly need. Additionally, the bad doctor obtained his magical voodoo powers by selling his soul to the devil, while the good witch earned hers by living a long, happy life… somehow. “Doctors hate her!” etc. Oh but they both have pet snakes, so I guess the divide between good and evil isn’t that great after all.

Looks like that voodoo mojo has got hold of Sprockrooster: “Bopping!”, but iheartpoptarts proves a bit more resistant: “A little heavy on the choir for my taste!” On that note, here’s Raichu: “Fine but Disney has done this gospel sound better before.” Y’HEAR THAT DJHAZEY. Oh, you don’t particularly like this one either: “I mean the song is just kind of there, but this lady is a bit of a queen with her delivery and personality.” Fair enough, but still get taste. constantino dubs it “This soul-searching ANTHEM.”, while LKane is a bit lighter on the praise: “This one is catchy, I like it! Not my fave but it is really good.” Mina is not having a good time with this one: “Did I hallucinate the talking frog with a bad French accent? This whole song is nightmare fuel.” Okay but I wish my nightmares were this light-hearted. MollieSwift21 is getting slightly different vibes, however: “Can only think of Got to Be Real. Mama Odie is a star.” DON’T MENTION STARS FOR THIS FILM. TRIGGERED. Let me wipe away my tears and allow GimmeWork to circle us back to pop music to finish: “Who needs a fairy godmother when you have the FLAWLESS Mama Odie?!?!? Whenever I re-watch Britney's iconic VMA Slave 4 U performance I like to imagine that Mama Odie's side kick JuJu is the cartoon reincarnation of Banana.”

I don't know why someone made this but here you go, Shang stans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  16. Dig A Little Deeper was one of my few 5s left so this is excellent.

Animalia likes this.
  17. Blahhhhh. I mean, I'm sort of glad it doesn't go longer than it does, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. As is Mama Odie in general, really.

18. Oh don't you worry @Animalia they'll have their day soon enough. Just watch. Unless you rig it otherwise kii.

Animalia likes this.
  19. Almost There & Mama Odie are the best part of that movie.

Animalia, alanmr and GimmeWork like this.
  20. Oh no.

[​IMG]

constantino, Mina, Aester and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.