The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 80 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Did you cut some frames between the two shots here or was it really cut like this?
    My editors eyes hurt.

Animalia likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

I'm not going to lie - I'm totally here for this.

GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  3. Just went to see Wonder Woman, 'twas lit.
    Hah, I'll confess I didn't make that one. I was on my way out the door and just quickly googled for it.

4. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

I'm guessing it's just like that in the movie than.
    Had this been real footage it feels like a sloppy cut, possibly skipping some frames or including some double ones. Something's off.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Animalia likes this.
  5. Me to all of the voters who gave "Out There" less than 10:

[​IMG]

Well, I'm stanning for Colors Of The Wind now, which very nearly nabbed my 11.

Can somebody please explain to me what's wrong with Quasi's vocals? I think they are beautiful.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  6. [​IMG]

(But really, I didn't even put the two together when writing it. Sorry.)

GimmeWork, Animalia and alanmr like this.
  7. Oh, you better be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One Last Hope

Highest Score: 10 x3 (@Serg., @kalonite, @Animalia)
    Lowest Score: 1 x1 (@DJHazey) 4 x3 (@Sprockrooster, @send photo, @funky)
    My Score: 10

I am disgusted. Do y’all just not understand comedy? I mean, Hercules is easily the second-funniest Disney film (don’t worry Kuzco I got you); its humour works in a so much more intelligent, mature way than most other animations, but practically every single line of the film is chock full of clever puns, mythological cackles and historical nudge-nudge-wink-winks, and this song is no exception. Let’s take a wee tour through this lyrical wonderland you philistines clearly don’t appreciate:

I’ve been out to pasture, pal, my ambition gone
    Content to spend lazy days and to graze my lawn

Demigods have faced the odds and ended up a mockery
    Don’t believe the stories that you read on all the crockery

It takes more than sinew
    Comes down to what’s in you

I’m down to one last shot and I’m glad I know
    Before the blasted Underworld gets my goat

Et cetera, et cetera. One Last Hope is a lyrical minefield of thematic funnies, expertly manoeuvred by the legend, the icon that is Matilda’s dad Danny DeVito and I am appalled by the apparent ambivalence towards the genius on display here. The fact that I still love this song when the tune played on repeat during the second level of the Hercules PS1 game that I must have tried (and failed) to beat thousands of times as a kid says it all really. A classic is a classic.

First, let’s give DJHazey a chance to explain that blasphemous zero: “I’ll never understand how Danny DeVito thinks he is some kind of songstress.” NAWT when Phil is serving better vocals than some of your faves could ever. The irony. Speaking of infamously terrible contrary taste, here’s Sprockrooster: “No, this is hopeless.” The Unbirthday Song apologist Mina has the nerve to say “I forgot how annoying the satyr is.”, but at least constantino’s comparison is valid: “Who invited Danny DeVito to the party? Zazu’s wig remains intact.” For how long though? Hmmm. LKane: “Good track for a musical, it is well done… but nothing special for me.” and Raichu: “Not a bad melody, but so many Disney songs are in this style. Make it stop!” don't think it stands out from the crowd, but MollieSwift21 correctly sees it as a highlight: “One of my favorite transformation scenes.” Speaking of which, how the fuck is out before Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo??? A mess. Ugh, at least kalonite has taste. Let them know: “If you tried to sell me the concept of one of my favourite Disney songs being a hairy Danny DeVito training montage, I'd slap you. Then I'd slap your mother for birthing such heresy. But this is so damn good. The uptempo bounciness. The puns are everywhere. That chorus line breakdown, before it picks right back up for the finale. The puns are everywhere. It's just great.” Okay but you’re my one last hope, so you’ll have to do sums up our relationship pretty well.

Here's me smiting you all for having terrible taste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

This one isn't funny nor much of a decent song.
    Frankly I could have done without the entirety of Phil.

Mind, it probably mostly doesn't help it's in a movie where all (female led) songs are sooo much better.

send photo and Holly Something like this.
  9. I mean, it's not bad, but it's not exactly Alan Menken challenging himself either. It's one in a long line of similar comic numbers - hold it up against "Friend Like Me" and it falls seriously short, especially as David Zippel is no Howard Ashman, or even Stephen Schwartz. (I like Phil, though. Great likeness for Danny DeVito too!)

constantino, LKane, GimmeWork and 3 others like this.
  10. We have a(nother!?) tie at #50, so which song do we think deserves to fall at #52 before the next milestone?

GimmeWork and send photo like this.
  11. Something else from Hercules, please!

DJHazey, LKane and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  12. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Only okay with this if it's I Can Go The Distance.
    (Which was mainly ruined by Michael Bolton and Herc's creepily wide eyes and mouth)

LKane and Mina like this.
  13. These last few cuts...

[​IMG]

Mikl C and Animalia like this.
  14. In all honesty, I don't remember all that's left but..

If there's anything left from stories led by a cat or dog that isn't Lion King, it needs to go!

Also if there's any Jungle Book left then I'd like that to exit now!

Beyond that I'm fine if we continue to get rid of anything from Hunchback or Tangled.

Animalia likes this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Is Cruella The Ville still in? If so, get rid of that right away!

DJHazey and iheartpoptarts like this.
  16. Cruella is a classic!

Animalia, GimmeWork and alanmr like this.
  17. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Meh. It's memorable but doesn't make me laugh nor emotional, therefore leaves me cold.

18. Wait at Peter only programming the Mods with two emotions, is that so y'all don't overtake the Forum???

Mikl C, Mina and Mvnl like this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

'Emotional' actually kinda covers all other emotions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.