The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 91 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. We finally hit a 7.00 average now!

But we seem to have lost our way on the path to good taste.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We Know The Way

Highest Score: 10 x2 (@Serg., @MamaHazey), 9 x8 (@DJHazey, @Ironheade, @eccentricsimply, @kalonite, @ephemeralartery, @Lost Boy, @Conan, @Sideout)
    Lowest Score: 4 x2 (@Mina, @iheartpoptarts)
    My Score: 8.5

Noooooooo, this is so wrong. We Know The Way is a huge, anthemic celebration of everything Moana represents; the spirited chanting lifts your heart and lightens your soul, transporting you right into the wild oceans of the South Pacific on a daring voyage to expand your horizons and discover new worlds, but I guess it’s not entirely in English so y’all sheltered hermits were inevitably gonna do it wrong. Mess. We Know The Way was the first song written for Moana – Opetaia Foa’i had been writing and performing traditional Polynesian music for twenty years, and felt a great responsibility with Moana’s soundtrack as it was a real chance to introduce the sound and culture to the whole world. He was so inspired by the freedom the film’s producers were allowing him that he wrote this song on the plane back home from their very first meeting, and then immediately started recording in an makeshift outdoor studio with only log drums and his own vocals. A handful of collaborators and some Lin-Manuel Miranda-penned English lyrics later, and the adventurous majesty of We Know The Way was born – Foa’i even described the recording process as a spiritual experience for him:

“We Know the Way” means so much to me because it matched the power and the confidence that these ancestors had when they sailed the seas. You can’t help but be taken when you hear that song with the animation. I think people who are from the South Pacific will really feel a sense of pride rise up when they hear this song. We do feel like we’re representing the South Pacific so when we went to record at Warner Bros. Studio in Burbank, it felt like we were taking our ancestors with us. It was a spiritual experience and hopefully that will resonate with people when they see the movie.

Well, it definitely resonated with some of you, at least. “Beautiful ‘aue, aues’ indeed.” DJHazey starts, “Polynesian magic that I was not prepared for.” Thank you for having taste. Shame about iheartpoptarts letting your side down. Joint low scorer Mina justifies her 4 by calling it “Disney elevator music” … you must have been in some pretty damn exciting elevators in your life. LKane isn’t feeling inspired either: “It represents pretty well the movie, but I don’t find it as a classic.”, while Sprockrooster brings up a thread favourite again: “They got a Phil Collins-sound alike? Or is it him, but did he use autotune?!” Don’t worry, it isn’t him this time. For once. eccentricsimply recognises talent when she hears it though: “Fucking hell, Lin is a genius.” He really is, the live-action Little Mermaid soundtrack is in good hands with him. Raichu’s feeling his Polynesian fantasy: “I rather dig this world beat sound and the song is pretty good too.”, but constantino is picking up on some less positive vibes: “This is pretty but it’s also a pretty grim reminder that the reality of the lives of islanders if far less sunny.” I think that’s the opposite of what they were trying to show but oh well. ephemeralartery is having loving flashbacks to 10s long gone: “Gave me Lilo & Stitch soundtrack teas.” Still salty about that result teebs. We say bon voyage to We Know The Way with MollieSwift21, who points out the visual spectacular accompanying the song: “They really got the water/ocean animation down for this.”

They did that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. What the fuck?!

Robsolete and Animalia like this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Cruella needs to leave already. As does Bare Necessities.

GimmeWork likes this.
  4. Man, what the hell.

I think it's about time for "One Jump Ahead" to go, personally. Maybe something from Tangled too.

GimmeWork, alanmr and Animalia like this.
  5. Fucking hell what the fuck is wrong with y'all?????????

6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Oh yes.
    Especially I See The Light. It's a moment but the song itself really isn't that strong.

alanmr likes this.
  7. The next two songs both received an 11. It's getting real now, folks!

8. Ugh, y'all.

Animalia likes this.
  9. Those beating We Know The Way is an actual nightmare.

alanmr likes this.
  10. Y'all acting as if Cruella de Vil and The Bare Necessities aren't stone cold classics ain't cute.

funkyg, GimmeWork, 2014 and 8 others like this.
  11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

They're classic moments, yes. (Although 101 Dalmatians is b-list Disney at best)
    But they're not exactly the most sweeping enchanting songs.

Animalia likes this.
  12. Although that Heaven's Light/Hellfire elimination was disgusting, at least I can now confirm that you guys have bad taste and feel better about my 11 having left so early.

13. Me: I'm gonna pick up the pace now!

Also me: *forgot E3 starts today*

14. You need to see the light, by the sounds of it!

15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I did, and it wasn't pretty.

alanmr likes this.
  16. Oh noooooooo, it's been fun while it lasted!

Animalia, alanmr and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  17. Hello! I had my mum over for lunch today 'cause I'm a big sap who misses home. I'm gonna do my damnedest to chuck out the next three and take us up to the Top 40 tonight to make up for the lag in pace over the last few days. Stay tuned! x

18. Oh my God

I am heartily sorry for having offended thee

And I detest all my sins

Because I dread the loss of Heaven, and the pain of Hell

But most of all because I love thee

And I want so badly... to be good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

God Help The Outcasts

Highest Score: 11 x1 (@Conan), 10 x3 (@Mina, @ephemeralartery, @kalonite)
    Lowest Score: 0 x1 (@Daniel!), 3 x2 (@send photo, @HollyDunnSomething)
    My Score: 8

The bell finally tolls for The Hunchback of Notre Dame as we smite the final piece of its soundtrack and plunge it into the fiery pit. This was always gonna be the highest rated song from the film, purely because it’s the only one performed by a woman, and this is Popjustice. I don’t agree, of course (JUSTICE FOR HELLFIRE!), but it was inevitable. God Help The Outcasts sees Esmeralda snatch herself a quiet, touching moment of pious righteousness amidst the chaos and it’s all very spiritual and quite lovely. The accompanying scene itself is stunning (that shot of the rose window – yas), and it all does a great job of establishing Esmeralda as an empathetic, selfless heroine rather than purely a romantic interest, while also highlighting the contrast between her own relationship with religion and Frollo’s, and so in turn his hypocrisy in persecuting her people for their lack of faith. You’re sensing a “but” here, right? There isn’t one, really. It’s great. It’s maybe not quite as intriguing or arresting as other songs on the soundtrack for me, and it’s definitely something of an anomaly in terms of tone, but it’s undeniably effective in what it sets out to do so I can’t be mad. The film’s directors at one point decided the song was too low-key, and the more uplifting, classic pop ballad Someday was written to replace it.

Yikes. Thankfully the studio pulled a Theresa May and U-turned back to the original plan, reasoning that the more subdued, more overtly religious song fit the themes of the film better. Someday was still played over the credits and released as a promotional single though, performed by Eternal in the UK and All-4-One in the US. Yeah, I don’t know either. Speaking of people no one knows; apparently questionable vocal ability runs in the name, so Demi Moore stepped away from the mic for a sec and Heidi Mollenhauer provided Esmeralda’s singing voice in her place. To be fair, she does a pretty fantastic job of fitting her vocals to the character and conveying the hopeful-yet-melancholy tone of the song. God Help The Outcasts was widely predicted to win the Best Original Song Academy Award off the back of Disney’s wild success in the category in recent years, but apparently the judges were just as deaf as you guys and not a single song from the film was even nominated. It did get a nom for Best Original Score though. Not every film has that.

In a shocking twist, a few of you weren’t here for the whole super religious thing. DJHazey isn’t sure it belongs: “It’s pretty despite sounding like something that should be on a ‘save the children’ commercial.” I love P!nk. “What is this doing in a Disney movie?” Kids have feelings too, y’know. Lowest scorer Daniel! isn’t about that life either: “The pop girls really did the most with the self-empowerment thing didn’t they.” I love P!nk. “No thanks,” send photo answers, “Choose your own destiny.” Okay but remember choose-your-own-adventure books? Man they were lit. LKane appreciates the way Esmeralda is portrayed: “Another amazing track from this movie. Isn’t it a great soundtrack? The gypsy that is not used to praying in a Catholic church and feels that she doesn’t deserve to be listened… it’s a great story! Plus the voice of Heidi Mollenhauer… love it!”, but eccentricsimply’s problematic Disney senses are tingling: “The movie is truly wonderful and so is this song, but damn Disney for helping ‘normalize’ a slur.” Gaga ha impact. MollieSwift21 calls it a “Beautiful scene. The moment the townsfolk are wanting things for themselves and Esmeralda chimes in with ‘I ask for nothing’ is a moment.”, and Sprockrooster is similarly affected: “Crying. Such a beautiful emotional delivery.”, but constantino seems a bit more upbeat about the whole thing: “Jesus-inspired HYMN! No but really, what a heart-warming scene this is.” Raichu feels the love too: “Very heartfelt and emotionally affecting. It kind of has that classic dreamy feel of those older Disney tunes, but with more depth.”, and iheartpoptarts is discovering the film’s emotional weight too: “This is such a sad movie and it went so far over my head at the time.”, but 2014 sees it slightly differently: “I forgot how creepy this film was!” Get you a Disney film that can do both.

I’ll let kalonite have the last word on Hunchback’s poor, misunderstood soundtrack. Take it away! “If this ain't purposeful pop, I don't know what is. Esmeralda's low key demolishing the institutionalised hypocrisy of the Catholic Church, and the visuals to go along with it are beautiful. She even sings directly to Mary like Frollo in Hellfire, but for completely different reasons. While he’s blindly following doctrine saying Mary intercedes on behalf of sinners and passes on their prayers to God, Esmeralda just identifies with her, woman to woman. The final shot of the Rose Window is spectacular.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  19. I hate you guys sometimes.

Yeah, I wasn't the highest scorer for this (I think it's a bit too pop-like next to the complexity of the rest of the film's music), but it's a moment all the same. So is the rest of Hunchback, really - tonal inconsistency, annoying comic relief, butchery of Victor Hugo and all. Say this for it, it's certainly the most ambitious film of the Renaissance, thematically and musically, and close to it in terms of its animation... I just wish Disney had gone all in and went "you know what, we're going to make an adult animated feature".

20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Certainly not the strongest Disney ballad. If it wasn't for some crap still in this seems a good time to let it go.
    Always wondered what was up with Someday being an 'extra' song on the soundtrack.
    Characters having seperate singing/acting voices happened quite a lot back in the day didn't it?

Animalia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.