The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 92 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I thought God Help The Outcasts would have hung around a little longer. Not surprised its the first soundtrack out from renaissance though.

Mina, GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  2. I'm sadly not too surprised either. I want to say it's a shame to see it go while there are still soundtracks left completely untouched, but the standard there is ridiculous.

Mina and send photo like this.
  3. Eh, next to The Lion King? I'm not so sure. (Seriously. Never much liked Hans Zimmer's scores, Elton John was asleep at his piano a fair bit of the time, and I hold the most advanced disdain for Tim Rice.)

Animalia likes this.
  4. I love ya, but I'm gonna have to stop you there. The Lion King's soundtrack is legitimately perfect in every way. (It's not particularly spoilery to reveal that I gave it four 10s and a 9.5 oop.)

5. My highest score on The Lion King was a 7/10.

GimmeWork likes this.
  6. Well, I'll say one thing for this rate: it's made me want to rewatch and reconsider Hunchback. I've only seen it once, in the theater as a twelve-year-old, and clearly a lot of the themes went right over my head. I should give it another chance as an adult.

7. RUDE

Y'know, just for that...​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I Wan’na Be Like You

Highest Score: 11 x1 (@Aester), 10 x5 (@Robsolete, @GhettoPrincess, @2014, @Sprockrooster, @constantino)
    Lowest Score: 0 x1 (@send photo), 2 x2 (@Daniel!, @DJHazey)
    My Score: 8

And another 11 falls. At least it’s a bit later than you expected, eh Aester? Sorry all the same! The Bare Necessities is rightfully crowned the champion of The Jungle Book’s soundtrack as this high-energy, jazzy number leaves us; part of me feels like this a bit too early, but then I look at what’s left and honestly I love pretty much everything from this point on intensely and unconditionally so it’s all gonna hurt from here on out, yay! Hidden behind all the animal noises, whistling and scat singing, there’s an infectious, bonafide jungle bop here that remains one of the quintessential songs in Disney’s 80-year-long catalogue and goddamn it deserves it. I Wan’na Be Like You was one of my favourites to sing and dance along to on those VHS compilations when I was visiting my gran’s as a kid, and to this day I can’t help but growl along tunelessly during all the nonsensical babble. It’s just four and half minutes of pure, unadulterated fun – and hey, that’s like the backbone of what makes Disney music so incredible. Fun.

The idea for the soundtrack’s big-band centrepiece being a hot jazz eleganza extravaganza started with the (tenuous) connection between "king of the apes"/"king of the swingers". It was then supposed to be a sort of scat rap-battle, with Baloo repeating back the same lines to King Louis, but Phil Harris wanted to make up his own “lyrics” so then it just kinda descended into fun little mess. Relatable! Apropos of nothing, do my fellow UKunties remember the amazing NHS anti-smoking ad that used this song?

Militant anti-smoking fan constantino namedrops one of the 21st century’s most iconic figures: “Katie Waissel’s cover remains i.c.o.n.i.c.”, while LKane opts for a more floppy reference: “Very catchy! Like it. The monkey singing is a bit annoying, but still a good song. Am I wrong if I kind of like the Jonas Brothers version?” Yes. Yes you are. MollieSwift21 has a guilty pleasure too: “A good song here but I don't like the vocals. Shamefully I like the Robbie version ha!”, but Reboot has no shame: “I feel like my score for this has been greatly influenced by how much I enjoy the Robbie Williams & Olly Murs version. I never even realised it was a cover of a Jungle Book song before.” Here’s a kii – Robbie Williams incorrectly credits Phil Harris for the original in the liner notes, going on about how much he admired him and all that when he’s only in the song for like twenty seconds dddd messy. DJHazey’s mentioned not being a fan of the film a few times, and it looks like this song’s no exception: “Well it's not quite as overbearingly annoying as Bear Necessities, but it's close.” (Bare* but okay), while MamaHazey shares a cute little anecdote with us: “My niece Anna is going to be "Queen Louie" in an upcoming school play.” C’MON GENDERFLIP! Iconic. Hazey added an adorable photo of her (and his other cousins), too:

[​IMG]

Speaking of cuteness, here’s 2014! “I did a cute little dance to this when I was in a dance group and it's just so catchy and brings back a lot of fun, nostalgic memories.” Okay but where are your photos? Did you have a coconut bra and hula skirt? So many questions. I have a question for send photo, too – what? “This is how we get ants Planet Of The Apes.” O... kay. So, we have this to thank for Helena Bonham Carter’s career? I’m knocking a point off. “YES!” screams Sprockrooster, “One of their finest pieces of music.”, while Mina goes for something slightly less effusive, calling it “Surprisingly entertaining.” Stan a bit. GhettoPrincess is pleasantly surprised too: “I was sure Bare Necessities would be my highest Jungle Book score but this was one is just so much more fun and joyful. “, and Raichu coins it “Dat jungle funk. A little annoying, but the off kilter vocal performance is interesting enough to make this stand out.” We end on a loving, philosophical note from alanmr: “There’s something interesting about the concept of an ape who longs to take the next step on the evolutionary ladder and become a human, and paired with a beat as infectious as this, what we get is an awfully catchy song that’s sure to be stuck in my head for a while, or at least until I get to the next awfully catchy song in this rate.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  8. Oh, come on, how can you not love this one? It's the one place where the loose, jazzy style of the movie really clicks for me - because when you pair it with a comic creation as fine as King Louis, sparks fly, man.

(Side note: I read somewhere that Walt wanted to cast Louis Armstrong as King Louis, but someone at Disney went "Uh, Walt... you might not want to cast a black man as an ape..." Which is a fair point of course, but it's an interesting "what could have been" all the same, because I'm sure Louis Armstrong would do magic on that scat section.)

funkyg, aniraz, Aester and 2 others like this.
  9. @DJHazey's taste (or lack of) in Disney songs/films disgusts me.

[​IMG]

10. Wait at @Mina slowly being revealed as the true rate villain. Drop that mask a bit.

Also, I'm okay with this leaving now, even though I like it better than Bare Necessities. We're getting to really strong material and it's kind of insane we still have 41 songs to go.

Holly Something likes this.
  11. [​IMG]

12. I prefer the updated Jungle Book that came out last year.

13. [​IMG]

Save his soul.

14. You know, I hate to say it about one of Disney's live-action remakes, but I might join you there. Although, that's partially because I'm not massive on the original, outside of George Sanders' performance as Shere Khan and the two "big" songs. I especially liked how the remake hews closer to the darker elements of Kipling's writing, and the CGI effects... wow. Nearly Avatar standard.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  15. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

Hopefully we sent the other jungle book song out before the top 40 too.

GimmeWork and Mvnl like this.
  16. Ha, I didn't even think about how my phrasing would sound there. The Hunchback commentary is just one of the many things I'm enjoying about this rate!

And, yes, "I Wan'na Be Like You" did make it a lot further than I expected considering how most of the other songs from that era have fared. I wish I had something interesting to say about why I gave it my 11, but it's pretty much been covered. Just an enormously catchy song with a great beat, and I love the vocals from Louis Prima and Phil Harris.

Ironheade likes this.
  17. HUNCHBACK IS OUT!? What's wrong with you people!?

[​IMG]

* Time to change my avatar for my next supported film in this rate.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  18. Yas, my adorable cousins make the rate. Seriously, I can't rave about my cousin Anna enough, she's already been a small role in many local plays in Maine. She's so talented, you'd all be in awe.

Also, I watched the live-action Beauty and The Beast yesterday which was extraordinary. The soundtrack really came to life as well, I wanted to bump a couple of my scores up.

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  19. I believe you mean sister. kii

Mvnl likes this.
  20. I meant cousin. I don't know what you're trying to do...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.