The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 95 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Hello! I hope y'all can forgive me for taking a day off yesterday, I had a ton of real life stuff to tackle. I should've said something but I hate disappointing people nn I'm a mess sorry

If anyone else plans on submitting votes/commentary for their favourite films, please let yourself be known! All going well, we should be able to start that countdown tonight.

2. Oh shit I forgot about that. I'll try real hard to do it in the next hour.

Animalia likes this.
  3. #Justice4TheHunchbackOfNotreDame

LKane and Animalia like this.
  4. There's no rush!
    You're more than welcome to vote for your top five films if you like! Sucks you weren't around when voting was originally open, the Hunchback soundtrack definitely could've used you!

LKane and Stradiwhovius like this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Moderator

Wonder if he'd have gotten the same response if he'd posted #JUSTICEFORCHICKENLITTLE instead.

alanmr, Stradiwhovius and Animalia like this.
  6. What makes you think Chicken Little isn't already winning, hmm?

constantino, aniraz, alanmr and 4 others like this.
  7. Oh God, surely we don't have taste that awful... (Though Dinosaur might be worse, now that I think on it.)

LKane and Animalia like this.
  8. YES, eliminate those awful gospel characters. I would've much rather heard the Spice Girls. I know it's going take a while longer to get rid of the other 0 because everyone apparently loves it.

iheartpoptarts likes this.
  9. I'm mostly liking this post because Spice Girls, but I have to admit, I wouldn't love it if too many Hercules songs beat out my faves!

P.S. You're on holiday, why are you awake? Hehe.

10. Right, ready to dive into our Top 40!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do You Wanna Build A Snowman?

Highest Score: 10 x3 (@Serg., @alanmr, @MamaHazey)
    Lowest Score: 1 x2 (@Mina, @send photo)
    My Score: 8

No really, I’m asking. It’s mid-June so chances are we’ll get snow in Scotland within the next week – y’all are welcome to come along and make our own annoying wee rate sidekick if ya fancy. In other news, I’ve just found out this song is technically called "Do You Want To Build A Snowman?" and I’ve been formatting it wrong this whole time. Oh well, it looks better this way anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now, I’m not exactly the world’s biggest Frozen stan, but there’s just so much personality and such a range of emotions in this song that I can’t help but admire it. As the first proper song in the film, it does a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to plot exposition and character introductions, and against all odds it manages to do a pretty damn great job. The light-hearted piano bouncing along to wee Anna’s adorable, pleading vocals; the sudden, emotional instrumental interlude soundtracking their parents’ deaths; the more sombre tone of Anna’s attempts to comfort her sister afterwards; it’s a bit of an emotional rollercoaster innit? Throw in some charming comedy and a few heavy-handed door metaphors and you’re looking at a pretty nifty little number that stands up quite nicely against some of the giants of Disney’s catalogue, if you ask me. My personal favourite moment is just before the “we used to be best buddies” line, when the piano line subtly shifts into the opening flourish of Let It Go. There’s probably a fancy musical theatre term for that but I don't know it, so let’s just call it genius. The montage interlude was added to the song by the film’s composer Christophe Beck, who is known for scoring a ton of important things, but none more iconic and eternally relevant as a chunk of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack, including “Once More, With Feeling” (cc: @DJHazey). King. Do You Wanna Build A Snowman? was almost cut from the film entirely at one point, as the producers felt it was "too sad and complicated” – relatable – but thankfully it was rescued at the insistence of Disney employees. The proposed reprise that was written for when Anna turns to ice wasn’t quite so lucky though, poor thing.

We open with Reboot, who seems pleasantly surprised: “This is really good storytelling. I’ve never seen Frozen so I don’t know where this song fits in chronologically but I feel like I’ve just watched a really sad 3-minute mini movie. The song is good too. That final ‘Do you want to build a snowman?’ broke my heart.” DJHazey’s sold too: “I've...actually never seen this movie before, but this song's scenes are enough to make me want to change that. How it turns from adorable to heartbreaking in the matter of seconds like that.”, while iheartpoptarts is a just a little bit shook: “They just died in the middle of the song like that? Oh, wow.” I’m honestly surprised there are people out there who still haven’t seen Frozen!? It’s been literally inescapable for years now. In fact, LKane could use a nice long break from it: “The thing with ‘Frozen’ is that I’ve listened too much to the songs pretty much everywhere! In every single party for kids there is a ‘Frozen song… so at this point everything that has to do with ‘Frozen’ is too much for me, specially this song. It is not a bad song but I’m tired of it.” I’m at that point with the film for sure, but (most of) the soundtrack still stands on its own for me.

Whaddya say send photo, wanna build a snowman? “I’m good thanks.” Rude. Your loss. Looks like constantino won’t be joining in the fun either: “You know what, I really rather not. Children singing in any context makes me want to break something.” Get offa my lawn you pesky kids! teas. Mina: “So annoying.” and Sprockrooster: “A bit cringe at times.” aren’t feeling it either, while GhettoPrincess isn’t about to fall victim to the adorable children: “This one annoys me, it’s cute but in a very obvious way.” eccentricsimply’s long gone though, awarding it a “High score simply because it’s cute.” Twins! I’m easily swayed. Raichu succumbs to Anna’s charm too: “Cute and I like the more serious turn it takes later on.”, while MollieSwift21 points out some awkward growing pains: “This song guilt tripping me about leaving my cat Ana outside my door. Ana's voice in middle doesn't match with the other two. The final part of song is really devastating especially the shot of Elsa room being frozen.” Did you name your cat after the film or is it just coincidence though? Either way it’s an adorable name; my cats back home are named Clyde and Meeko, which is entirely irrelevant but I miss them so whatever let me live. I’ll let our resident Frozen champion alanmr bid farewell to it’s opening song with a whole string of impressive adjectives: “Beautiful. Enrapturing. Melancholic. Gorgeous. Heartbreaking. Charting Anna’s and Elsa’s growth through tidbits of Anna being playful and culminating with her just going back her sister’s door without bothering to make her invitation again is just masterful editing, ending it with her sorrowful plea and Elsa’s despair through the bedroom door is just the cherry atop the misery cupcake.”

One last fun fact – Do You Wanna Build A Snowman? is the second best-selling Christmas song of all time, behind Mariah’s All I Want For Christmas Is You of course. Disney’s impacT though. When will our faves?

[​IMG]

(nn this is legitimately one of my favourite ever gifs. I love the internet.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  11. Messy

Animalia likes this.
  12. NOOOOOOOOOOOO

kalonite and Animalia like this.
  13. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Moderator

My cat was named after tennis player Ana Ivanovic @Animalia!

DJHazey and Animalia like this.
  14. Do You Wanna Build A Snowman? should have done much better than this. It just tells such a lovely, sad story.

Animalia likes this.
  15. nnnnnooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I guess Elsa went on a heart-freezing spree on PopJustice before y'all started rating, it's the only explanation why this isn't at least Top 20.

aniraz, Ironheade and Animalia like this.
  16. Haha, I'm only the most movie-illiterate person in the history of the internet!

I'd totally watch Frozen, though... it looks like all princesses and winter wonderland and of the recent Disney stuff I think it appeals to me the most!

DJHazey and Animalia like this.
  17. Aw, poop. Second-best song from Frozen in my book, definitely shouldn't have gone before "For the First Time in Forever" (ELATED OR GASSY????). The way Anna says "OK, bye" at the end, man... *sniffle*.

18. That line is definitely among the worst instances of Frozen trying too hard to be "cool", but For The First Time In Forever's reprise is hands down the best song in the film, so I'm willing to forgive it.

kalonite likes this.
  19. This fact alone means it is top 20 quality.
    [​IMG]

DJHazey, aniraz, alanmr and 1 other person like this.
  20. Yet another 11's up next on the chopping block! Any guesses?

GimmeWork likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.