The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 96 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

2. Hate myself for how immature this is but I can't not hear it as 'do you wanna do some blow man?' after hearing a parody along those lines.

DJHazey, constantino, Reboot and 2 others like this.
  3. I'd bet that I'm much worse. I haven't seen Frozen either, but then again I've not seen most popular movies. (I just can't be bothered.)

Animalia and iheartpoptarts like this.
  4. Hehe, wanna bet? I've been to the movies literally once all year, and I only went because I wanted to see what the heck 4DX was!

Animalia likes this.
  5. BYEEEEE @#%&*! snowman

[​IMG]

Animalia and Ironheade like this.
  6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go The Distance

Highest Score: 11 x1 (@MollieSwift21), 10 x7 (@Lost In Japan., @Sideout, @Remorque, @eccentricsimply, @Conan, @MamaHazey, @Animalia)
    Lowest Score: 3 x1 (@Aester), 4 x1 (@constantino)
    My Score: 10

I’m sorry Mollie! I tried, but this is… a mess. Why y’all doing Hercules so dirty? Get taste. Go The Distance is the dictionary definition of a classic. It’s one of the quintessential gay self-belief anthems of our generation, a great big sweeping inspirational ballad that’ll lift you up on its gold-plated equine wings and carry you off into the fiery sunset with courage in your heart and a choir of angels singing your praises on the wind. It’s a textbook perfect Disney song in essentially every way, it’s got everything you could possibly need or want from an uplifting heroic mantra in musical theatre form. Of course, all of this praise loses some meaning when you discover that Hercules’ singing voice was provided by Roger Bart, also known as Bree’s sociopathic, serial killer pharmacist husband George in Desperate Housewives. THANKS FOR THAT IMDB. Still, even a creepy murderer isn’t enough to take this down from a perfect 10 for me. Hercules was one of my favourite films growing up, and Go The Distance was the first Disney song (if not the first song in general) that I taught myself to play on piano as a kid, so I have a lot of nostalgia attached to it. It’s a story everyone can relate to: disillusioned, inhibited school kids desperate for friends; disillusioned, inhibited school kids who don’t really want friends but would rather not be picked on for it; adolescent demi-gods who literally just can’t control their own strength – there’s something for everyone here. For real though, the opening of Go The Distance with the triumphant-yet-melancholy horns and light twinkling will never not take me back and get me feeling some kinda way. It’s pure Disney magic that deserved so, so much better than this.

Of course, there were fairly successful versions recorded by Michael Bolton and Ricky Martin who, as far as I’m aware, can’t boast as impressive a kill count as George The Pharmacist. They’re both… exactly what you’d expect them to be teebs, but Bolton’s version did manage to hit #24 in the US Hot 100, so I guess it did its job. Go The Distance was also nominated for both the Academy Award and Golden Globe for Best Original Song, but inevitably lost both to My Heart Will Go On. Oh well, can’t blame a sis for trying.

LKane opens the floor with a choice opinion: “I think Ricky Martin’s version is better. I dislike the voice of the young Hercules.” I’d watch what you say about him… maybe don’t go cycling around any high bridges in the near future (these references are so niche nn I don't care, Desperate Housewives is iconic and people are still loving it). eccentricsimply describes the song as “Inspirational”, while iheartpoptarts says it’s “Giving me American Idol winning song for some reason”, which means basically the same thing. A step up from American Idol, Epic Chocolat has a better idea: “Empowering, I just noticed that it could make a good Olympic song too!” On that note, it’s… odd that this ended up with an average over a point lower than Oceania did in the Björk rate. MisandryJustice strikes again I guess. Here’s GimmeWork to put a man in his place: “Gaston who? Show em Herc!” Yas tell ha. DJHazey exposes the root of his tastelessness: “Even though I swear I've never actually seen this movie, this chorus is somehow low-key timeless to these ears.” Not having seen Hercules should honestly be some sort of crime. Poor you. That’s not quite as bad as constantino though, who stopped processing rational thoughts long enough to type out this: “I know this moves the plot along but the song itself is a big load of NOTHING.” … Mess. Sprockrooster’s feeling a bit been there, done that: “A lyrical theme about exploring the world they explored before and worked out so much better in these cases.”, but Raichu sees it as a highlight of the genre: “Another song that’s a bit like “Out There,” but it’s pretty fantastic. One of Disney’s best melodies.”

Of course, we can only end with a comment from 11-giver MollieSwift21. Let them know! “So many Disney songs deal with feeling like an outsider but to me this one is the best. There touches of sadness but also a hopeful outlook. The first lines are very affecting along with "I know every mile with me worth my while". The vocals really balance the hurt yet hopeful vibe too. The reprise goes OFF too. That last note! I love the shot with sunrise too.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. I didn't think this would make top 10 but it deserved better than this!

Animalia likes this.
  8. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I had a feeling it might go when it was mentioned an 11 was leaving.

Robsolete, ohnostalgia, 2014 and 2 others like this.
  9. eccentricsimply

eccentricsimply Staff Member

10. I dunno. Herc's singing is nice, but this one always felt like a very boilerplate I Want Song to me, and the formula for those had worn pretty thin by 1997.

Aester, Mvnl and Animalia like this.
  11. I plan on posting the list of the 22 films that didn't earn any votes tonight to kick off our movie countdown. There are definitely a few surprises in there that deserved some love, poor things. Predictions are welcome!

12. I fear for The Rescuers. They were the hardest to cut, especially because I fear nobody would put them in their top 5. Also I fear for Golden Age classics might have been missed the cut too or leave way to early.

2014, GimmeWork and Animalia like this.
  13. As you can probably guess, I'll probably be making up for some of the Fantabulous First Five... the one of those I most fear the chances of is Snow White, given that some people might call it "dated" (pfft).

I'm guessing nobody gave the 40's package films any votes either. (And quite right too, Ichabod and Mr. Toad is the only one of those that I rank highly.)

Animalia and GimmeWork like this.
  14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

And none for Saludos Amigos I guess. (Doubt it even made the voting list)

LKane and Animalia like this.
  15. Hey, at least I didn't torch that Hercules song right? However, the sort of-cull is giving me life.

[​IMG]

Animalia and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  16. Awww I do love The Rescuers!!! But yeah sadly there's no way they are top 5.

Animalia and Sprockrooster like this.
  17. Is this going to be a Monthly Chart situation, revealing the Top 10/5 with most votes, or are you going to reveal everything that got a vote, bottom to top? @Animalia

Animalia and GimmeWork like this.
  18. I'm afraid for Princess and the Frog's chances after seeing how quickly you all killed off most of it's tunes...
    [​IMG]

If Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid aren't in the top 5 then y'all are lying!

19. Oh no no, I'll be counting down each one from bottom to top! They all deserve some love.

20. Noooo a MESS. I'm not even the biggest fan of Hercules the film but the music is ICONIC, and this is the best song in it.

@Animalia summed it up perfectly in the write-up:
    Like, it is the motivational song. i_am_disgusted.gif

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.