The Disney Classics Rate (The End.) | Page 97 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Classics Rate (The End.)

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Animalia, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Bump!

send photo likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

I swear it's total coincidence that we're starting this on Page 100 but it feels very correct. I'm content.

Right! 37 of us voted for our Top 5 Disney films, and we're ready to start counting down to our movie champion alongside the songs. Let's begin by burning through the 22 Poor Its that didn't manage to scrape even a single point; I originally planned on revealing them in chronological order, but in the interest of ~drama and suspense~ lemme mix it up a bit and start with the more obvious ones. I'll split them between a few different posts to stagger it a wee bit too.

Oh, and don't worry, I'll give the films on the actual leaderboard the time and effort they deserve - I honestly just don't have much to say about most of these and clearly none of you particularly care about 'em either so let's just get this out the way and move on to the good stuff!

3. Poor Unfortunate Films

= 35th

0 Points | 0 Voters

[​IMG]

Saludos Amigos (1943)

"His Gayest Technicolor Feature"? Frozen who?

[​IMG]

The Three Caballeros (1945)

Joanne on the left though yas get that promo.

[​IMG]

Make Mine Music (1946)

"Happy Comedy Musical"

[​IMG]

Fun and Fancy Free (1947)

Great title, beautiful title.

[​IMG]

Melody Time (1948)

Have you noticed that I have nothing to say about these yet?

[​IMG]

The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (1949)

I don't know what I was expecting from this film, but it definitely wasn't a sword-wielding headless (?) horseman.

So, yeah, no love for the awkward 40s era - no surprises there!

~​

Serg., Subwaykid, Robsolete and 11 others like this.
  4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

No surprise indeed. In a way I'm thusfar already surprised it seems all 'big' releases got at least some love.
    I mean, they're classics for a reason, but there's a lot to pick from for a top 5!!

LKane, Animalia and alanmr like this.
  5. I'm guessing you never watched Sleepy Hollow in any capacity.

GimmeWork, Mvnl and Animalia like this.
  6. Oh wow I'm surprised there weren't more. The pleasing diversity of PJ comes through.

7. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I remember seeing either Saludos Amigos or Three Caballeros as a child and even nostalgia hasn't made me love it. Even back then I was thinking 'what the hell is this movie?'.
    Not there at all for bunch of shorts put together to resemble a movie.

Animalia likes this.
  8. Pssst.

9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Oh crap. Them all being from a similar era fooled me too.

But go ahead! Throw out Pinocchio and Bambi right away!

Animalia and alanmr like this.
  10. I was going off the 35th ranking. I'm really that single minded I can't imagine such diverse thought.

11. We have the best titles, yuuuge titles, they're gonna be great. They're gonna be great!

12. Wait. Disney's version of Sleepy Hollow was actually quite good, if I remember. I didn't know it was part of a film though, I thought it was a standalone thing.

13. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I have a feeling at the very least these will be in trouble:

Robin Hood
    The Sword In The Stone
    The Great Mouse Detective
    Oliver & Company
    Fantasia 2000
    Dinosaur
    Atlantis
    Treasure Planet
    Brother Bear
    Home On The Range
    Chicken Little
    Meet The Robinsons
    Bolt

GimmeWork and Dangerous Maknae like this.
  14. Three Caballeros is actually great (I think) - almost up there with Pink Elephants and some Looney Tunes stuff for demented, anarchic and surreal cartoon animation. So is Ichabod and Mr. Toad, a real step up from the previous package films - the Sleepy Hollow section is particularly masterful.

But, yeah, I don't really count these when I'm ranking Disney films. Given that the individual shorts vary a lot in quality, it's a bit hard to actually put them on a scale with full-length features.

Animalia likes this.
  15. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Togethe
    Together with the ones that already left that leaves 3 more spots...

Erm...
    The Rescuers Down Under
    The Aristocats
    and... Winnie The Pooh 2011?

Dangerous Maknae likes this.
  16. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad and The Three Caballeros are the best of that first group.

Animalia and Ironheade like this.
  17. MollieSwift21

MollieSwift21 Staff Member

I hope Robin Hood & Aristocats picked up votes somewhere!

2014, Aester and Animalia like this.
  18. Meet the Robinsons is actually quite fun (and I loved Chicken Little as a kid, please don't ban me), but is it Top 5 good? Not with this selection.

LKane, Animalia and Mvnl like this.
  19. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Compared to the rest though?
    Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the (literally) sketchy animation around that time I remember really enjoying Robin Hood, but I struggle to think of any movies less likely to get a mention.
    (Of course it all boils down to completele randomness depending on who voted)

Animalia likes this.
  20. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I actually really enjoyed Bolt as well.
    But I think their biggest shot depends on people growing up with those. It's bleak compared to some other eras, but if those were the Disneys you saw over and over again as a kid they might stand a chance..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.