The Disney Thread | Page 106 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Thread

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Charley, Feb 22, 2009.

1. This will probably end up in the top 5 of my Spotify Wrapped.

2. The trailer is stunning. Hoping this is as great as it looks.

Lander, fancygreen, lehnw01 and 10 others like this.
  3. It looks good and props to Disney for doing something even slightly different with it. Mulan (the original animated film) is damn good. Its perfect. We don't need to see a frame for frame remake of it.

4. Damn, stunning is the right word. I can't wait.

Mvnl and stuaw like this.
  5. They're doing it for the Chinese market. The original was a flop there, the Chinese government was very difficult about even letting it be released.

With this movie, the Chinese government is actively supporting it. From English language state run media:

6. This all feels very gross to me. It's probably the anti-Hong Kong messages permeating everything around the film.

johnoclock likes this.
  7. It looks gorgeous, I just wish it was a musical. After the box office success of Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, I don’t know why they’ve changed the formula.

8. The trailer was stunning. The Reflection orchestral swell - shivers!

I never thought much of the original which is controversial I'm sure. Nor the songs (they were fine). I want Christina back to do the soundtrack cover, covering herself in a moment of self-reflection.mp3 whatever.

I missed any anti HK discourse. Would be good to keep up as HK holds such an important place in my heart.

thequinntessential, Mvnl and POPGASM like this.
  9. Does it? Why's that?

10. I used to live there.

Obviously I'm referring to discourse in relation to Mulan... not in general.

11. I got goosebumps watching the trailer. I I watched in back to back 3 times, and I think it's everything that I want from it.
    The orchestral version of Reflection is beyond STUNNING. I don't know how to describe it any better. I welled up when I heard it initially.
    I liked the little nods to the animated version, without being overtly obvious, and it didn't feel like a shoe-in to connect it to the animated.

I've always maintained that Mulan is the underrated film during the Disney Renaissance. It's truly my favourite Disney film. The theme of acceptance, and the overcoming of obstacles and barriers really resonated with me. I believe I saw it in the cinema when I was 6, and it's stuck with me ever since.

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Just saw Frozen II. I think I liked it better than the original?

Rest in a spoiler, just in case:
    Into The Unknown came surprisingly early for a big song and the beginning was ridiculously songheavy already. Overall a lot of the songs felt like 'we're already anticipating Frozen II on Broadway'.
    I can't believe how all out 80's powerballad they went with Sven's song.
    Selfreferential jokes like the charades part and Elsa's 'ugh' at Let It Go worked really well. Olaf actually was hilarious.

SHOW YOURSELF. A moment. What a scene. I Cried.

Of course the plot(twist) was predictable from scene one although reviews told me how it was too much about the environment and I worried about a 'Elsa will die because of global warming if your parents ever drive a car again'-plot which luckily never happened. I will say I wish they had the balls to actually kill Olaf and drown the city, but all in all one of the finest Disney sequels I've seen. And ridiculously great animation although at some points probably a bit more showing off than actually necessary for the plot.

DiscoRobot, lushLuck, Conan and 4 others like this.
  13. I would really really love if Disney would just ask Christina to re-record Reflection with that orchestra for the new soundtrack instead of asking Ariana Grande or Camilla Cabello to do it. I can't - and don't want to - imagine anyone else doing that song.

14. This is exhausting. Hollywood is.... fucked.

lushLuck likes this.
  15. Just got round to watching Frozen 2 and it was good but I am slightly disappointed, but I guess I did have overly high expectations going in.
    The story felt abit all over the place with trying to make the other characters relevant compared to Elsa, and the soundtrack is nowhere near as strong as the first film.
    Elsa trying to cross the sea and taming the water spirit was definitely the high point though. Very intense and well done.

LP, Andrew.L, stuaw and 1 other person like this.
  16. It's such a shame because Mena Massoud absolutely sold Aladdin in an otherwise uneven film. Him and Naomi Scott pretty much single handedly made Aladdin a success.

Ain't nobody checking for Prince Anders.

Lander, Alenko, joe_alouder and 5 others like this.
  17. I've been a stan of this song since I saw the film on DVD as a kid. I couldn't take my eyes off shirtless Captain Shang as well, so this was probably the moment I first realised I was gay dddd.

POPGASM, johnoclock, Mikl C and 3 others like this.
  18. I had to really think about who the hell Prince Anders was in Aladdin, and I can only remember that he existed and that's it. In no world warrants a spin-off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.