The Disney Thread | Page 96 | The Popjustice Forum

The Disney Thread

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Charley, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Yes! I really liked Aladdin

2. I’m still a little bit in love with Mena Massoud tbh.

3. Just been to see The Lion King, and I thought it was fantastic, especially the second half of the film. Visually it was stunning, particularly the opening sequence. I thought Timon and Pumba were hilarious and bought a a lot of fresh hilarity to it. I also thought the sequence of Simba's hair travelling back through the land was a beautiful moment (minus the dung..)

I wasn't sure about some of the voice choices, particularly with Zazu, Young Nala and Young Simba, sounded flat at times and very.. bored at times..?

I would've preferred the running sequence to be layered with "He Lives in You" rather than Beyonce's "Spirit". I thought the inclusion of "He Lives in You" would've worked far better following the scene prior with Mufasa, Simba and Rafiki.

4. Just been to watch the new Aladdin after weeks of refusing to see it..

I enjoyed it.

The biggest thing I've come away with from it all though is how I really want the actor who plays Aladdin to take me for a ride on his magic carpet and let me rub his magic lamp.

LP, aniraz, andru and 5 others like this.
  5. LP and WhenTheSunGoesDown like this.
  6. I saw Aladdin and the Lion King recently.

I liked Aladdin quite a bit, definitely more than I was expecting to, but felt some of the acting was very weak and their miming of the songs felt off sometimes or the way the singing sounded didn't match the scene itself - like when they're running through the market but remain pitch perfect with excellent breath control - which made it awkward to watch. Jafar is a terrible villain in the remake - I don't think he had enough time on screen to establish the reasons for acting like he does and the actor was quite poor in his portrayal of a villain like Jafar anyway. I was sad to see some of the memorable scenes for me didn't make it or were changed (like Jasmine being trapped in the hour glass by Jafar towards the end of the original being swapped for some sort of magical orb). I was excited to see how these scenes would translate to live action. I liked the sentiment of Jasmine's new song but I didn't like the song itself... felt like it was written and produced in that way with the sole intention of achieving the success of The Greatest Showman's soundtrack, haha. I also felt like the film ended up rushing in the end which is a shame as 2 hours is more than enough time to tell the story.

Lion King felt incredibly faithful to the animation and was visually stunning - it really benefits from the live action approach in a lot of the beauty shots of the world and the animals larking around between scenes. I thought the more eventful moments like the stampede which leads to Mufasa's death and the fight for Pride Rock at the end worked really well as live action because of how much suspense and excitement they could convey through the way this can be directed. But it was difficult to connect with the characters and suspend disbelief when they looked so realistic. Like seeing these animals singing "Hakuna Matata" in one scene, then fighting each other and behaving like animals do in another, is a different experience altogether compared to seeing their cute little animated counterparts in the same situations.

Both solid efforts, but not without fault, though I'm sure those going into them without expectations or drawing comparisons to the originals they grew up with will enjoy them more.

LP, stuaw, johnny_tsunami and 3 others like this.
  7. And Disney+ has now become a necessity:

Think they can reanimate the Gross sisters to look like Nicki Minaj?

8. If Disney remastered their 80s morning cartoons and put them on Disney+, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat.

9. OMG I LIVE.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  10. My fave

Remorque, lushLuck, LP and 5 others like this.
  11. Very cool about The Proud Family. I know it wasn’t that big of a hit but I loved Fillmore and wish it had more episodes.

12. [​IMG]

13. He

He

Come through NL!

I'm so getting it.

@Sprockrooster, where did you read it?

Sprockrooster likes this.
  14. LP, Sprockrooster and He like this.
  15. I saw it on NOS (Dutch news website and translated it).

He likes this.
  16. He

He

17. Charley

Charley Moderator

They also launched a Dutch Twitter account:

Sprockrooster and He like this.
  18. I cannot wait for High School Musical The Musical The Series & Knuckles

lushLuck, stuaw and Robbietoxic like this.
  19. I'm so annoyed that this isn't launching in the UK in November and that we may have to wait up to two years. I want new HSM and Lady & the Tramp!!

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.