The Donnas - Greatest Hits Vol 16 | The Popjustice Forum

The Donnas - Greatest Hits Vol 16

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Smoke My Cigar, Jul 25, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

So the band released their first 'retrospective' album at the beginning at the month and I was just wondering if anyone else had bought it? I'm loving it, especially the re-recorded versions of some earlier songs, but I have to say I do in a sense wish it was a proper hits/singles collection. It's great to have these previously unreleased songs/versions but a hits collection would be a great idea, I guess it's just time for me to get off my arse and compile one myself!

Have to say I'm not that keen on the inclusion of 'I Wanna Be With A Girl Like You' though, as although it's the Donnas playing the instruments it just isn't the same without Brett tearing it up on vocals. 'Get Off' is fantastic too.

2. I went off of The Donnas with the release of Bitchin'. I felt like they were really maturing with the release of Gold Medal and then they did a complete u-turn and went back to singing about boys and getting wasted. When you're pushing 30, you need to start singing about something else and not about where the next cheeba is coming from.

I would hope that this Greatest Hits marks a new chapter in their music but I'm not holding my breath. They might as well go back to singing this kind of crap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0yleULPsq4

3. I actually really agree regarding 'Bitchin', it's my least favourite Donnas album along with 'The Donnas'. 'Gold Medal' and 'Get Skintight' are definatly my favourite of their releases. I loved the maturity in 'Gold Medal' and while I did like the odd song on 'Bitchin' (Better Off Dancing is fantastic) they're few and far between and I just don't like the direction that the album was going in. 'Out Of My Hands', 'Don't Break Me Down', 'The Gold Medal' and 'Is That All You've Got For Me' in particular off 'Gold Medal' are stellar, really love the whole album.

The re-recording of 'I Don't Wanna Go To School' really is odd on this new album though, it's the only one find odd to be honest because well, of course they don't - they finished school what, ten years ago?

4. I felt the same about Bitchin' around the time of it's release, but after repeated listens in the car, it completely grew on me. Although my favourite of theirs is still Turn 21. You can't beat the genius that is Hot Pants.

5. 'Get Skintight' still drives me wild after all these years. 'Too Fast For Love', 'Get You Alone', 'Skintight', 'You Don't Wanna Call' etc still blow me away. I love 'Turn 21' as well, but for me as an album 'Get Skintight' and 'Gold Medal' just have that edge over it.

'Spend The Night' was the soundtrack to my college years and although I still love it some of the songs have gotten old on me, I could happily never hear 'It's On The Rocks' again, and it used to be one of my favourites.

6. I haven't heard any of their recent stuff..... I listened to Get Skintight to death when it came out (in those barren pre-Girls Aloud days when - as far as girl groups were concerned - it was the Spice Girls or nothing...) I'll check out the best of though..

7. My two favourites are Get Skintight and Turn 21. Earlier last month I put Turn 21 as my avatar and was surprised to see some PMs from secret Donnas fans on here excited to see someone else was a fan. The reason I love those two albums is because they're just really fun records. I listen to them every now and then.

8. I hate Bitchin'. Gold Medal is the best.

9. "Take It Off" is the best rock song of the last ten years.

10. Don't Wait Up For Me is an AWESOME song. I may invest in the album

11. Their early Years compilation is probably among my favourite things they've put out. Pure, unabashed Ramones rip-off tunes.

Of course this compilation is more than a pisstake and rather a collection of songs for their fans, since the only Hit they ever had was "Take it Off" and that ones on there in a Live version.

12. I bought Turn 21 when it came out and wasn't much of a fan. It just seemed inferior to most of the Lookout back catalogue. Perhaps I should give them another proper shot, but if I want to listen to fun pop-punk then I'll chuck on some Queers or Screeching Weasel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.