The Girls Aloud Discography Rate: WINNER REVEALED! | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

The Girls Aloud Discography Rate: WINNER REVEALED!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Physical, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I actually found Neighbours really uneven as an album. Pretty much none of the slower songs worked for me and Thank Me Daddy and Big Brother felt like they forgot a tune as well.

Verandi, marie_05 and Sick Sad World like this.
  2. Justice for Love/Hate though. I think that should’ve been a single contender above Some Kind of Miracle.

The Xenomania tracks save the debut from - as someone else described it - “the flop pop sound from the early 00’s”.

3. Another one of my own... a mash up of the debut and What Will The Neighbours Say?

01 Sound Of The Underground
    02 No Good Advice
    03 Wake Me Up
    04 Deadlines & Diets
    05 Love Machine
    06 The Show
    07 Thank Me Daddy
    08 Androgynous Girls
    09 Real Life
    10 Graffiti My Soul

Not really a mash up, basically just the first 2 singles plus the best from the 2nd album plus a B side.

Remorque, Elysium and Untouchable Ace like this.
  4. Big Brother is one of those occasions where the girls' style of singing the chorus in unison doesn't really work.

Untouchable Ace and If You Go like this.
  5. Big Brother and Thank Me Daddy are two of my favourite Girls Aloud album tracks.

Remorque, discoteca, Elysium and 3 others like this.
  6. Please, God, Christmas in a Nutshell.

Remorque and Untouchable Ace like this.
  7. I agree with this. Graffiti My Soul was obviously peak Aloud, but there are a fair few tracks I never return to nowadays. It felt like a proper kick-off of the Girls Aloud we knew and loved, but Chemistry was when they really hit their stride.

Well, erm…I actually kind of like Fix Me Up. Sorry not sorry!
    I remember how one of those BBC daytime home renovation shows my mum was obsessed with at the time would sometimes play this in the background, haha! It was amusing how they always picked music that matched what was happening on screen (and a lot Xenomania-esque pop, too!), although I think the girls were singing about a different kind of fixing up…
    It should have outlasted the remaining Christmas songs and parts of the debut at the very least. Having this right after Untouchable on the album was madness, though.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Remorque, Elysium, LightYears and 6 others like this.
  8. Does anyone like White Lies? I think it's the only standout song on the debut other than the singles?

Remorque, Inky, Elysium and 7 others like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Like it a lot. But I'd add Stop as a standout.
    (Also Don't Want You Back in a 'generic 00s pop' way)

10. [​IMG]
    What a bright time, it's the right time
    To rock the night away,
    Jingle bell time is a swell time
    To go riding in a one-horse sleigh...

[​IMG]
    Average: 5.68333

Highest scores
    9 x 3 (@_hazzie_, @berserkboi, @ohaimanabu)

Lowest scores
    1 x 1 (@TheOnlyOne)

My score
    [​IMG]
    ..."Fix Me Up" didn't deserve to go before this, I don't care. This does nothing for me. It's just very unexciting, except Sarah's tiny part which is honestly the highlight of the whole of cover. At just one minute and 57 seconds long thankfully, "Jingle Bell Rock" was the CD2 B-side for their cover of "I Think We're Alone Now" and... yeah, that's all there really is to say about this — and I'm aware I'm a few eliminations behind my schedule, so I'll save my breath and let you revel in its Christmas Mania performance.

---
    [​IMG]
    I make angels in the snow,
    I like that funny feeling when my bum gets cold,
    And I like getting in a snowball fight
    Then racing my toboggan through the starry night...

[​IMG]
    Average: 5.74655

Highest scores
    10 x 1 (@Sally_Harper)

Lowest scores
    0.5 x 1 (@singabob)

My score
    [​IMG]
    ...BISH BASH BONG WoOoO!

11. Not Tonight Santa being the last christmas song standing?
    [​IMG]

12. Double post but re: the debut album, I believe I said this before but it's technically their weakest album (due to being rushed, them at the beginning of their career before developing a sound etc etc) but still it houses many highlights beyond the singles: Some Kind of Miracle, Girls Allowed, Love/Hate, Stop also I like their version of Girls on Film nn

13. I still do a double-take when I see that Bryan McFadden co-wrote Girls Allowed.

14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Okay but I Wanna Kiss You so (like Christmas Round At Ours) is better than quite some early album tracks

15. I do love their take on Jingle Bell Rock but am not fussed it is the first High Score I've lost ddd

16. Samesies! It’s absolutely nothing special but I dig the upbeat instrumental and I think it’s cute and harmless. But alas, cute next to gorgeous isn’t going to last long in this rate, so off it goes!

17. The rest of it I don't need but I love "BISH BASH BONG WoOoO!"

Ahem. Count The Days is also still in... and better not leave anytime soon.

18. Count The Days and Not Tonight Santa are in my Top 20 Girls Aloud, so I hope they haven't been done dirty!

19. Their ‘Jingle Bell Rock’ cover is great for being the closest version to the Mean Girls one, so always makes it to my Christmas playlist, but it’s absolutely on the lower end of Christmastry. ‘Christmas Round at Ours’ should have outlasted!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.