The Greatest Eurovision Songs That Never Were

100% agree with you here - probably helps that I'm hella biased as 1996 was the year of birth for my love/fascination with the contest.

This was also a complete bop, but sadly got eliminated in the first round, so never made it to Television Centre for the final:

It really is! The backing beat is quite similar to the Nightcrawlers.

I think Yodel In The Canyon was the same year as Gina G? and she quite rightly got more votes than the 2nd and 3rd placed acts combined.

Deuce was a no brainier and I couldn’t believe it didn’t win by a landslide, I don’t think it was even runner up. I think when it entered at #10 TOTP was in that phase where they sometime gave sales figures and it sold something like 130,000 75,000 and it just seemed weird that so many people would pay for the single but not vote for it on the show (at a fraction of the cost).

EDIT:

I think Yodel In The Canyon was the same year as Gina G? and she quite rightly got more votes than the 2nd and 3rd placed acts combined.

Deuce was a no brainier and I couldn’t believe it didn’t win by a landslide, I don’t think it was even runner up. I think when it entered at #10 TOTP was in that phase where they sometime gave sales figures and it sold something like 130,000 75,000 and it just seemed weird that so many people would pay for the single but not vote for it on the show (at a fraction of the cost).

EDIT:

Yodel In The Canyon of Love was 1997 so the same year as Katrina & The Waves. We wouldn't have won with that but I've always preferred it to Love Shine A Light.

Deuce not even coming runner-up to Love City Groove has always been inexplicable to me. I Need You would have made a brilliant Eurovision song and would have ensure Deuce wouldn't be the forgotten pop footnote that they are had they competed in Eurovision.

Ah 97 I knew it was one of those two years, thanks.

It was much closer than you might think too. Only 9,000 votes in it!

Deuce were kinda Bucks Fizz on acid, I think it would have done better. They really were a proto Steps and I wish they had more success. No Surrender is a bop!

Probably been mentioned before

Above ^ the UK, Ireland and Norway respectively chose different entries over these

Below, Romania chose this and then got disqualified. Such a shame