The Halsey Rate™ | #13 - "The Weeknd says hi" | Page 33 | The Popjustice Forum

The Halsey Rate™ | #13 - "The Weeknd says hi"

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Apr 13, 2020.

?

What is Halsey's best album?

1. Room 94

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. BADLANDS

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. hopeless fountain kingdom

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. Manic

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. Sk8er Boi <3

2. I'll be honest...I hate Ed Sheeran as much if not more than y'all, and I didn't actually know he co-wrote Still Learning....but I still absolutely love it. Yes the melodies are similar to his work (and I only now notice that cause it's been mentioned) but it works for the song and Halsey pulls it off so much better than him.

3. Swifties need to stick together.

Sorry @Babyface.

4. Ok, I was preparing a comeback for this, but I just relistened to 11 Minutes and I have to apologise as my score was way too harsh. YUNGBLUD's voice was what initially made me dislike the song, but listening to it now it's not even that bad, it actually has a kind of British indie rock band lead singer charm to it. And the rest of the song is pretty great. Probably would have given it like an 8 now.

And speaking of underscoring, I regret not giving 929 a 10, it definitely deserved better.

vague, Music Is Life and aux like this.
  5. 11 Minutes is fantastic. You all suck.

Guy, aux and Music Is Life like this.
  6. "11 Minutes" deserved at least Top 25!

Guy, vague, junkos and 2 others like this.
  7. aux

aux

I'm still fucking annoyed from the previous elimination. This one hurts, but not as much as it will hurt the person who gave this their 11.

[​IMG]

Highest - 11 x1 (@enjoy) / 10 x5 (@Petty Mayonnaise, @jacobhalkohit, @OspreyQueen, @pop3blow2, @aux) / 9.5 x1 (@Jonathan27)

Lowest - 2 x2 (@BTG, @Guy) / 5.5 x1 (@slaybellz) / 6 x4 (@Phonetics Boy, @Rem, @junkos, @Aidan)

@aux's score - 10

Drive was one of the first tastes we got before Badlands was unleashed upon the world. It's always been one of my favourite songs from her and according to iTunes is one of my most listened to Halsey songs ever. The most striking thing about this song are the obvious samples of actual car sounds included throughout the song - it's nothing groundbreaking, but it adds significantly to the world-building I associate with the parent album. Said production could have also influenced another fellow successful Tumblr-adjacent singer, but we won't get into that.

In an interview with @Popjustice, @Halsey (10) had this to say about Drive, "The breaking point for me was when I wrote 'Drive' which is track four on the album. It's the first happy song I've ever written which is really cool for me, because it's an optimistic song. It's a sweet song, it's about being in a relationship, being in love with someone and not knowing how to tell them. The premise of the song is: all we do is drive, all we do is think about the feelings that we hide.

It's the first happy song I ever wrote and it's so ironic that it's called 'Drive' because it symbolises this departure from the Badlands — this point where I drive away. I leave. After that come these pop songs — they're bright, they've a different kind of energy, this coming-of-age, nostalgic sound to them. That was such an important thing for me as a songwriter, to be able to branch out into this new world an embrace this pop sensibility that's been hiding in my music all along."

@Dijah. (8.75) is left shook by this song, writing "Waittttt this is so nice, though! I really dig her slower songs." Similarly, @RUNAWAY (7.5) comments "I really liked this song, and the chorus was really nice." @tea (6.25) compares this to another Badlands track, saying "reminds me of castle sonically," I don't see it for her, but okay. @Remorque (7.75) says "I love this one, but it just doesn't really the highs of some of the other tracks on the album for me."

@pop3blow2 (10) praises the production, saying "No attempts at commentary does this song justice. Just listen to the little : “I was singing part” , float away, and give it your 10. I adore the production here." Similarly, @Babyface (8.5) writes "This is another album highlight for me. ‘California never felt like home to me, California never felt like home’ is a little cliché but still very evocative, and I love how the production starts out ominous but explodes on the post-chorus. It sounds even better considering the absolute tragedy that precedes it."

@livefrommelbs (8.5) also throws praise at the song, writing "Halsey has such a brilliant knack of hitting this cathartic, emotive spot. She can get you right in the feels, even if she's not playing straight for heavy emotion. 'Drive' is a great example of that." To close off, @OspreyQueen (10) comments "This is the side of Badlands I appreciate the most - sparse ambient pop-mood-pieces with lyrics that are probably meaningless but sound good when sung. I absolutely love the way the car alarm sounds are meshed with the production."

Up next...

A collaboration leaves.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Miss Lange, tea, Guy and 25 others like this.
  8. I like how Drive is so atmospheric and minimal. It supports the narrative aspect rather well, and better than most off the debut for sure.

vague, Ashling92 and aux like this.
  9. What the Actual FUCK!???

10. Three 5s in a row? Excellent excellent.

tea, BTG and aux like this.
  11. [​IMG]

tea, flowersandu, vague and 8 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]

I'm not sure they ever left...

flowersandu, vague, Crisp X and 6 others like this.
  13. Oh. ummm.... what?

vague, Music Is Life and aux like this.
  14. Hoooo boy these last few eliminations

vague, aux, Music Is Life and 2 others like this.
  15. Ugh Drive deserved so much better.

aux and pop3blow2 like this.
  16. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I really thought 11 Minutes and Drive were guaranteed to be in the Top 20. This is so shocking.

vague, aux and pop3blow2 like this.
  17. Wait with this surprising elimination I didn't even catch the hint
    Poor Be Kind! I love both and they should be top 20 at least, but I'd rather The Other Girl stays alive (it won't)

18. I hope it's Be Kind so my streak continues!

aux likes this.
  19. Maybe the collaboration getting eliminated is actually Strangers

[​IMG]

vague and aux like this.
  20. [​IMG]

tea, Music Is Life, vague and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.