The Haunting of… + Midnight Mass | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The Haunting of… + Midnight Mass

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by wickedbruv, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Just finished the second episode and it’s all a bit meh but I want to ride the cook’s moustache.

[​IMG]

2. So I watched this on my day off all in one sitting (tragic I know) with snack breaks in between. Firstly, Oliver Jackson Cohen (the guy who plays Peter and Luke in Hill House) is ridiculously handsome, I am obsessed...he is so hot.

The first few episodes were cute, slightly boring I have to admit. It starts getting good though after the first few. One thing I do have to note though is even in the first few episodes they convey the feeling of isolation really well with the setting.

I think a lot of people will go in expecting Hill House. If they put that expectation aside, they’ll probably like this way more than they would if they compared. It’s normal to compare though I guess.

Whilst it has the same depth and dynamic in certain areas such as script writing and plot development - they have very different vibes. This has more warmth, less scare value, it was also slightly predictable as a result. I was never able to predict with Hill House, with this I was. I really liked the Au Pairs storyline and there were some tragic moments that had me in tears. I can’t say I jumped once or was remotely creeped out, but the storytelling was phenomenal regardless. All in all I think, despite its flaws it’s a solid follow up in the series...because how do you top Hill House? It’s (in my opinion) probably one of the most well executed horror series of all time. This does its job well. I’m not only intrigued for the next series, but excited to come back to this in like a year and rewatch it when I’ve forgotten the main takeaways.

Also the episode that focuses on Hannah was so good.

Alenko and Babylon like this.
  3. Episode 8 is utterly brilliant!

It’s a shame, though inevitable of course, that all reviews will hold this up to Hill House. It’s a different beast. It’s more... delicate? But it’s still so beautifully crafted, I’ve been just as moved by many of the soliloquies and the story has wormed its way under my skin. Not everything works, but I sincerely hope that the anthology series continues.

4. I’ve only watched episode one. Love it so far. The acting is brilliant. I love how the actors are able to convey so much sadness and longing with so little. Episode 1 literally seeps melancholia, which was what made Hill House so special. I hope it gets better. The mixed reviews were expected, but they only made me more determined to watch it through fresh lenses.

5. Also the finale of this season was genuinely touching and climactic. Not... whatever the ending of Hill House was.

It also pleases me greatly that the main relationship is lesbian.

Inland Empire and Future Lover like this.
  6. I’m on Episode 5 now and still got 20 minutes to go but I am CONFUSED as hell but I’m sure it’ll make sense by the end.

The cast is absolutely incredible!

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  7. Halfway through Episode 5 and

[​IMG]

8. Are you kidding? His attempt at Scottish is awful, he slips out of it every 5th line or so.

I’m enjoying the season so far (3 episodes in), it is slightly slow but I’m enjoying the characters a lot, Victoria Pedretti is a really likeable lead & the supporting cast is strong too (dodgy accents aside). I’m hoping the plot does pick up in the next few episodes & reading your comments here it seems it does.

9. my heart

[​IMG]

Dreampopboy and TwistedInnocence like this.
  10. Have you ever heard a Scottish accent?

Duppe likes this.
  11. I mean, I did use the words ‘remotely acceptable’ and ‘attempt’. It wasn’t brilliant but it was infinitely better than whatever Carla Gugino and Henry Thomas were doing.

12. I finished the season and have been hugely underwhelmed. The acting was good, the storyline was good but I was expecting more scares as this is meant to be a horror series. Even the hidden ghosts seemed to pretty much drop off after episode 5.

Hybridcookie likes this.
  13. His Scottish accent makes me want to....

14. Halfway through episode 5- I have NO idea what the deal is with the housekeeper but I fucking love her wardrobe.

I’m enjoying this just as much as Hill House.

Nwonder, Duppe and Stradiwhovius like this.
  15. "He asked me to taste his batter" is my new favorite double entendre horror moment after "you fingered the wrong guy".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  16. Only watched the first 2 episodes so far. It is kinda of slow but it has me interested. The little girl was pretty annoying in the beginning of the first episode. Dani's 80's outfit is so accurate but I can't stop thinking of Saturday Night Live's Mom Jeans hahaha.

17. T'Nia Miller is one of the most beautiful and stylish human who has ever graced this earth.

18. I honestly can’t tell what part of Scotland that Peter Quint is supposed to be from.

He goes from a Western dialect straight in to East then sprinkles it with a little Northern, all in the one sentence!

Only two episodes to go though and I’m so excited to see how this wraps up.

19. The hot part.

20. Try saying this is too slow paced by the ends of Episodes 5 and 6 I dare you.

[​IMG]

And I also think many people are forgetting that Hill House was actually so slowly placed and character focused in the beginning. Each of the first 5 episodes is literally just exploring the five Crain kids lives in the build up to Nells death.

If anything resolving some threads such as
    the spectacled spectre's identity
    has given it a faster pace.

Inland Empire and johnny_tsunami like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.