The Haunting of… + Midnight Mass | Page 20 | The Popjustice Forum

The Haunting of… + Midnight Mass

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by wickedbruv, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Approach this as a downbeat drama and not a horror and it will be a lot easier to watch.

2. I'm half way through episode 3, and I think I can see where this is going
    vampires
    But we shall see

Gabeee9292, LPT, SBK and 1 other person like this.
  3. I love Mike’s writing but the monologues in this, GHERL…

4. The man never met a monologue he didn't love.

Mill., LPT and Judy Jetson Hooker like this.
  5. Two characters in a scene and one of them just needs to ask one question and it fills that entire 10 minute run time with the monologue. No wonder the episodes are an hour long each.

I honestly feel like this could've been cut short. Like four episodes. I also think it would've worked so much better in a 2-hour movie format.

Mill., johnoclock and Andrew like this.
  6. Just started this and the premise of this seems really interesting but I’m struggling to pay attention so far and keep engaged

7. If you’re struggling now, I don’t have the words for you haha.

I just finally finished it, even the finale made me fall asleep numerous times. The monologue about atoms/energy/whatever OH MY GOD. I was screaming when will it stop? I’m surprised this got mostly good reviews because cyst, I really cannot vouch for it and I’m a Fan-agan.

I feel like the TV format doesn’t fit him as much as his movies.

8. This... really falls off the cliff at the end. And the MONOLOGUES. It felt like an SNL spoof at times sss

Mill. and Judy Jetson Hooker like this.
  9. Honestly, the fact that you can figure out the twist and what’s inevitably going to happen by the end of episode 2, just sad. I expected so much more out of this given the glowing reviews but I found myself bored the last few episodes.

johnoclock and Andrew like this.
  10. I loved how he built and built everything and then to still go on a tirade of endless monologues at the very end.

Great job at making me not even care about what happened, and I just wanted it to end.

Also:
    If the only place was on fire and they saw it burning why can’t the entire village fetch water to put it out? There were also places they can hide like under the fucking bridge? Or the pier? Or build something quick with the remains of whatever that was left? And no proper final scene for the Angel’s death?

Gabeee9292, LPT and swim like this.
  11. The 94% critics’ score:

Andrew likes this.
  12. Well episode 3 had a few jump scares.

Andrew likes this.
  13. Just finished this and absolutely loved it.

craiggci and Dreampopboy like this.
  14. The never ending scene between Erin and Riley on the sofa, half way through episode 4 (and the series).
    I nearly turned it off for good

Someboy and Judy Jetson Hooker like this.
  15. Honestly, I'm kind of done with Netflix constantly vomiting out C+/B- shows stretched over too many episodes. When was the last time they had something really exceptional? Queen's Gambit? The Crown? Those were a year ago. Everything else has been a disappointment. Do they even give notes to creators like "tighten this up" or "make this more exciting"?

Thank God for HBO. The White Lotus and Mare of Easttown were TV's saving grace this year.

16. Netflix has been coasting for the last two years, if not more. They’ve been cancelling all their good shows and greenlighting subpar crap for ages now simply because they don’t want to pay their talent.

Just yesterday it came out we would have gotten a fifth season of On My Block, it’s one of their top performers but because the talent were going to see raises where they’d go from 500K an episode to 875k an episode, they cancelled it and instead greenlit a spin-off of it so they could start all over and save millions.

johnoclock likes this.
  17. As much as this is boring the shit out of me, the end of episode 4 was great and a surprise!

Andrew likes this.
  18. I enjoyed the show but yeah, it could have been a few episodes short.

The fact that Bev was really the only that didn't accept her fate. Ever. Was probably my favorite thing. She was the actual worst. Killing the dog, being a judgemental dick. That she hid from the vampires in the church and then tried to bury herself on the beach. Suffer.

19. I started this thinking that maybe you all were being hyperbolic about the monologues. You were not. Christ.

Someboy, Mill., LPT and 4 others like this.
  20. Without them it would be a cute 50 minute Creepshow Special

Neon Green and johnoclock like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.