The Haunting of… + Midnight Mass | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

The Haunting of… + Midnight Mass

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by wickedbruv, Oct 14, 2018.

1. I really enjoyed this towards the end, when it finally started kicking off after Riley and Erin go out on the boat in that emotional scene. I love Riley as a character too.

It’s just a shame about there being so much conversation and dialogue as a way to basically tell us what’s happening rather than show us, don’t get me wrong there was a few great visuals - but I feel like even in spite of this being more of a drama horror, there could have been way more opportunities to show what was being presented. I feel like there’s so much depth to the concepts but it was kind of shown through endless conversations and monologues that started losing me. Either way though, definitely worth a watch.

aboutyounow likes this.
  2. Just finished it. Fantastic show and I cried my eyes out.

I liked the monologues.

craiggci likes this.
  3. Just finished episode 5. Even though I kind of saw it coming, I think it will stay with my for some time. Wow.

I’m here for the monologues too. The one about death in ep 4 was wonderful.

Very interested to see where the final 2 episodes will go.

Alenko likes this.
  4. Just finished this and I thoroughly enjoyed it, monologues and all. The only one I found even remotely unnecessary was the sheriffs.

5. The last episode, how did Mildred suddenly become a great character, and Erin and Sarah Annie and Beverly obviously.
    Flanagan really gets his female characters, it turned our pretty good in the end. I would struggle to recommend it, as the monologues could be a killer, but as the action increases they either get better, or less noticeable.
    I'd say 3/5 overall.

6. SBK

SBK

This was so good. Dragged a bit at the end whilst they teased sunrise... but yeah really good.

Andrew likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

8. I tried it again and it's not even so much the pace... it's the relentless bleakness. The mother with dementia, the son with no prospects, the town with no future... I don't think my mental health can handle it. The pervasive misery.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  9. I just think there wasn’t enough demons/scares/vampires/glowing eyes in the dark. If he balanced that out then he can have all the monologues he wanted.

johnoclock likes this.
  10. This is true. I enjoyed the series but it wasn't scary in the slightest. That's why Hill House was so fantastic, it had the perfect balance of horror and emotion.

11. I think this is pretty brilliant.

Dreampopboy and Alenko like this.
  12. So I have a question. When is the show set? It seems to be contemporary but some of the costumes and set design scream 80s? Especially the CRT TVs and I think I spotted an NES in the background?

13. This is something I asked myself too.

Ryley Flynn’s room is full of 90‘s stuff with the 7even, Scream and X Files posters. I guess those are though from his teenage years.

It could be early 10‘s but I guess people just stay on the island and don‘t evolve that much. I haven‘t really payed attention with their mobiles.

14. Yeah, I assume the room is how he left it when he left for college which makes his homecoming even more embarrassing for him. My own teenage bedroom is in a similar state, only with late 90s/early 00s Madonna and Britney posters.

15. [​IMG]

boombazookajoe likes this.
  16. He's gonn give us an episode where Henry Thomas explains the family's history, in one long monlogue isn't he?
    Here for Kate Siegal as Madeline though

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  17. Just finished episode 5 and it is literally one long monologue reiterating the themes of the show over and over. Girls, I'm struggling.

18. I have also finished episode 5 and this is my favorite from Flanagan series. I can't stop thinking about the conversation about death and end of episode 5. Wow

Gabeee9292, Andrew and Alenko like this.
  19. Do we believe people would have taken the rat poison so easily? I know the miracles happened and I guess the monsignor was sort of convincing but still...

Also, did the sheriff's son take communion and I missed it? I thought they made a point of saying he couldn't take it because he wasn't Christian.

Andrew likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.