The Hipsterjustice Thread | The Popjustice Forum

The Hipsterjustice Thread

Discussion in 'Potential next big things' started by Mister Unicorn, May 3, 2014.

1. So, I came up with the idea for this because I've noticed there's a group of users here (myself included, I guess) that keep starting new threads for left-field / indie artists that they've discovered. The problem with those threads is that they don't usually spark a lot of interest so they often end up on the second page within a few hours and ultimately just disappear into oblivion.

I really think that's a shame because I'm always looking for new, interesting artists that I would probably never know about it if wasn't for other people telling me about them. Having them all in one place would make it much easier to keep track, I think.
    I'm not saying we should stop starting new threads, but maybe you don't always have time to look for background information about an artist or you really only like one song and you just want to share it with others.

Anyway, let me know what you think about it.

ModeRed likes this.
  2. Great idea! I often don't start threads for this very reason or just submit a song to the PJSC instead.

Can we start discussing?

3. I'm on board.

4. Thank you for making this!

5. Of course!

There are quite a few releases I'm looking forward to at the moment. I'm particularly excited about the new Sharon Van Etten album. "Tramp" took a while to grow on me but it ended up being one my favorite releases of 2012.

"Are We There" is coming out May 27 and the first single "Taking Chances" has been on heavy rotation for me.

[video=youtube_share;80-_CpH07QQ]http://youtu.be/80-_CpH07QQ[/video]

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Sine Wave likes this.
  6. I haven't known where to mention it, but I've become completely enamored by The National lately. They're a more mellow indie-ish rock group that I initially read about on Pitchfork. They're generally quite a depressing listen, but lovely all the same.

7. Anathema

Anathema Guest

Here for Joanna Newsom to come back and slay the lessors.

8. Looking forward to it but nothing has stood out for me, though I don't think taking Tramp in single songs would have won me over either. I think it'll be very solid. She is so charming in the interview she did with DiS recently.

I've been obsessively listening to the new Tokyo Police Club album recently, sure it feels like a complete retread of Champ just with not as good songs, but Champ was pretty much a masterpiece in hooky indie guitar. Shame they lost all their hype after their debut.

9. A couple of imminent releases I'm looking forward to:

Broken Twin - 'May'
    Video for 'Glimpse Of A Time':
    [video=youtube;sg8gs88W51o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg8gs88W51o[/video]

Melancholy and folky with interesting vocals from Denmark.

Samaris - 'Silkidrangar'
    'Ég Vildi Fegin Verda'

Trip-hoppy and electronic with added clarinet from Iceland.

10. "May" was a bit of a disappointment. I love Broken Twin's vocals, but some of the songs don't really go anywhere and end up being kind of dull.

11. A&E

A&E

Me. I Am A&E... The Oracular Tastemaker. Thank you Mister Unicorn... The Suisse #hipsterjustice Acolyte for creating this thread following my grassroots campaign of hijacking the tagging system~

I'm thinking we could keep a list of artists mentioned in here? Perhaps even in this very post:

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 100%, align: left"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Artist name[/TD]
    [TD]Sample song(s)[/TD]
    [TD](PJ thread)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Anana[/TD]
    [TD]"Island"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Asbjørn[/TD]
    [TD]"Brotherhood"[/TD]
    [TD]Sunken Ships[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Audra Mae[/TD]
    [TD]"Bandida"[/TD]
    [TD]general[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Courtney Barnett[/TD]
    [TD]"History Eraser"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Olga Bell[/TD]
    [TD]"Пермский край (Perm krai)"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]BOKKA[/TD]
    [TD]"Town of Strangers"[/TD]
    [TD]general[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Alice Boman[/TD]
    [TD]"Waiting"[/TD]
    [TD]general[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bow to Each Other[/TD]
    [TD]"Bigger and Stronger"[/TD]
    [TD]The Urge Drums[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Broken Twin[/TD]
    [TD]"Glimpse of a Time"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Jack Colwell & the Owls[/TD]
    [TD]"Far from View"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]D/A/D[/TD]
    [TD]"Love Will Make You Stay"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Death Rattle[/TD]
    [TD]"Wait" / "The Blows"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]The Flight[/TD]
    [TD]"Hangman" (feat. Keaton Henson) /
    "The Idol and the Idle" (feat. Alana Stewart)[/TD]
    [TD]general[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Gazelle Twin[/TD]
    [TD]"Belly of the Beast"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bev Lee Harling[/TD]
    [TD]"Buy Me"[/TD]
    [TD]Buy Me[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Ben Khan[/TD]
    [TD]"Youth"[/TD]
    [TD]1992[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Kill J[/TD]
    [TD]"Bullet"[/TD]
    [TD]general[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Los Campesinos![/TD]
    [TD]"Cemetery Gaits" / "My Year in Lists"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Mélissa Laveaux[/TD]
    [TD]"Triggers"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Meg Myers[/TD]
    [TD]"Desire"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Niia[/TD]
    [TD]"Generation Blue"[/TD]
    [TD]general[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Ji Nilsson[/TD]
    [TD]"I'm Her"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Nostalghia[/TD]
    [TD]"Homeostasis"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Nuoli[/TD]
    [TD]"My Curse Is My Mind"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Caroline Polachek [SUB][SUP](Ramona Lisa, Chairlift)[/SUP][/SUB][/TD]
    [TD]"Dominic" / "Amanaemonesia"[/TD]
    [TD]Arcadia, Something[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Samaris[/TD]
    [TD]"Ég vildi fegin verða"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Polly Scattergood[/TD]
    [TD]"Subsequently Lost"[/TD]
    [TD]general, Wanderlust/Arrows[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Jonas Schwartz[/TD]
    [TD]"Music for You"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Sharon Van Etten[/TD]
    [TD]"Taking Chances"[/TD]
    [TD]Tramp[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]The Silver Pesos[/TD]
    [TD]"Regresando"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Sivu[/TD]
    [TD]"I Lost Myself"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Suvi[/TD]
    [TD]"Find You"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Sylvan Esso[/TD]
    [TD]"Coffee"[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Tune-Yards[/TD]
    [TD]"Wait for a Minute"[/TD]
    [TD]w h o k i l l[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  12. I think this is a great idea!

I started a thread for a guy called Ben Khan recently, and it generated 0 interest which was sad. My eye was caught by the artwork for his EP, 1992, as it actually had him on it which seems to be rare for lesser known male acts.

[video=youtube;gh1MHycx-cM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1MHycx-cM[/video]

This song has really grown on me, and it reminds me slightly of Erik Hassle with a backing that's reminiscent of And Beyond by The Sound Of Arrows running through it.

13. A&E

A&E

Sharon's previous album left me cold but the new single seems promising so I'll give her one more shot when the album's out.

I forgot Ben Khan was in PJSC, it was "Savage" I think? "Youth" sounds great, I'll have to get the EP.

For something more creepy (electro-industrial?), Gazelle Twin is releasing her second album Unflesh later this year. The first single is "Belly of the Beast" (downloadable from XLR8R):

[video=youtube;jH94d-uw4N8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH94d-uw4N8[/video]

The follow-up, "Anti Body" will be released on 26th May.

14. LOVE this idea.

Lately I've really been into Niia:
    [video=youtube;nFr58WjA8_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFr58WjA8_w[/video]

The majority of the songs on her Soundcloud are covers (which are amazing), but her original songs, like the one above, are really great. Generation Blue is fantastic.

15. Very creepy indeed!

16. A&E

A&E

Yes, Niia! I have to thank NecessaryVoodoo to introducing me to her via PJSC (and I wasn't that enamoured with her at first). "Made for You" is breathtaking.

17. Her voice and sound are so mesmerizing to me, like if Fiona Apple decided to do a collaboration with iamamiwhoami or something.

The Made for You video definitely made me like the song a lot more, too.

18. Thank you, A&E! Obviously you've been the main inspiration behind this thread so I'm glad I can count on your support.

I've only listened to a handful of songs from Gazelle Twin's first album, but "Belly Of The Beast" seems like a bit of a departure (?) The other songs I've heard from her all sounded very ethereal.

That Ben Khan song is brilliant and already an example for a song that I wouldn't have known about without this thread. Thanks, Lander!

19. I enjoyed 'Youth' much more than the Ben Khan song submitted in PJSC.

Talking about PJSC, I am eternally regretful I didn't submit 'Bullet' by Kill J instead of 'Phoenix'. Consider me stupid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yKSeGh09tc

P.S. I may have asked this question a 100 times but how do you embed videos on the forum?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.