The Hunger Games Trilogy (Book Spoilers!) | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

The Hunger Games Trilogy (Book Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Matt, Nov 14, 2011.

1. What's The Works? I just ordered one for a fiver on HMV's website.

2. Haha, no worries. It's a very interesting building, actually. It's this one.

3. There were 12 people in the cinema when I went to watch it. Me and my group of friends made up 6 of that number.

WHY DOES NO ONE IN NORTH WALES WANT TO WATCH THIS?!?!?

Tribal, what are they like?

Anyway... I fucking loved it. I've already organised to see this twice again.

4. Watched it last night and I'm AMAZED by this movie. This is not your teen book turned to a movie experience (like it is with Twilight and Harry Potter). I loved everything ... from that atmosphere like it's post World War 2 ... to acting.

Only thing that I found myself questioning is why did they choose children ? Why just them ?

Maybe I missed that part.

5. HARRY POTTER IS NOT JUST A BOOK FOR TEENAGERS. IT IS NOT JUST ANOTHER ONE OF 'THOSE' EXPERIENCES.

Sorry, poshlopez. Kind of caught the brunt of my frustration there.

6. Well for me it is (complete different experience than I had with Harry or Twilight). The Hunger Games were more ''adult'' than for example Harry Potter movies (which by the way I loooove). I just wanted to say that this move surprised me with the level of maturity. If I didn't know that the move is based by the book that is very popular with younger audience I would though the movie was made for more mature audience.

If I made any sense right now. (and my opinion is based more on movies than books)

7. Yes, it was mature.
    You have redeemed yourself.

8. ^ Hahaha ... I'm glad I redeemed myself.

Just came back from my second viewing of the movie (this time I had to go with my sister) and it was even more amazing.

The first time I forgot to mention the music/score. It was so perfect. It melt with the scenes perfectly.

9. It's made over $155 million in its opening weekend. Insane. Highest non-sequel debut ever.

10. I know that (unfortunately) stupid will always be around, but I guess I just find it wildly exasperating because that was all actually written in the book -- a book which all these people supposedly read. It's a double facepalm in my mind.

11. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I DON'T GET IT, BLOB.

Maybe it's because District 12 is similar to North Wales? I dunno.

There's an amazingly fancy cinema in my home town and they aren't even showing it. Madness. I need to see this again.

[​IMG]

I think they're nationwide, but I could be wrong.

12. Charley

Charley Staff Member

An interesting article on the stuff they left out of the movie:

http://io9.com/5896475/everything-the-hunger-games-movie-left-out

I can definitely see the article's points on actual hunger, Effie and (as Tribal already pointed out) Haymitch's drunkness.

I went to see the movie last Friday. We went to see the late night film to avoid the rush on the 8PM movie, yet the theatre was still pretty busy. As has been remarked in this thread before, lots of guys there too. I was expecting the "opening week crowd" to mainly be teenage girls, but there were even guy only groups.

Obviously there's stuff you'll wish they'd done differently and some -for me- essential things they left out, but generally it's amazing how well they managed to translate the book to cinema. As someone else pointed out, it's a proper movie as well, with some gorgeous imagery.

My friend had never read the books and was rather sceptical because of the "teen craze" connotation, but absolutely loved it and is going to read the books now.

Oh, one more thing, I loved how they handled the cornucopia, that could have easily looked ridiculous, but it really worked!

13. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

Did they miss out the lake? I think they did.

14. Rmx

Rmx

Wasn't the lake in the background? I swear I briefly saw it when they first showed the food / supplies pyramid. Maybe I was just seeing things because my mind knew it had to be there, but I think I saw water behind a row of trees.

15. Just have to say that the Cornucopia Bloodbath scene was absolutely immense. The score was absolutely perfect, and I loved that they drowned out all other sounds apart from it. I hope the UK DVD release will include the blood splatter that was cut from the theatrical release though, as it would really kick it up a notch, however its pretty brutal for a 12A and those final shots of all the dead kids in quick succession at the end is pretty haunting and effective.

16. I was a bit let down by it. It was good, but not great for me. There were some pretty iconic moments though, similar to HP when you see the castle for the first time, like when the whole audience seemed to 'feel' something. When she saluted to the camera, and when they were on fire at the start really seemed to rouse my for some reason.

I thought they should have expanded Katniss and the younger girls dynamic a bit more, when she died they'd only been together about 10/20 minutes on screen so I'm not really sure how her death could have had that much emotional impact.

Overall I think it was carried by the leads performance, all of the other tributes were horrific actors, and was I the only one that though that the 'careers' were really shit considering they'd trained their life for this?

17. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

They were more like characters from Mean Girls than trained killers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.