The J-R&B Divas Rate! - #22 - *Katya voice* "Let's be bad!" | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

The J-R&B Divas Rate! - #22 - *Katya voice* "Let's be bad!"

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by RUNAWAY, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Starting this today but I'll definitely need an extension ddd

Remorque, Maki, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  2. [​IMG]

• Half Afro-Trinidadian, half Japanese.
    • Born in Japan, lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years before returning back to Japan.
    • Attended Sophia University, which we mentioned in both Crystal Kay's and Beni's write-ups.
    • Was inspired to become a singer after watching Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation music video, aside from seeing Crystal Kay doing the thing.
    • Shortly after the debut, released Soba ni Iru ne with SoulJa, which became a quick success and even held a Guinness record for the most downloaded song until it was surpassed by KISEKI by GReeeeN.
    • Later in the career brought more hip-hop and alternative R'n'B elements into her music, with current output mixing different genres.
    • Collaborated with quite a few artists across Asia, such as 4minute, Taeyang, B1A4 and Da Mouth among many others.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    Remorque, Maki, lalaclairi_ and 4 others like this.
  3. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

What a woman <3

Remorque, Maki, evilsin and 1 other person like this.
  4. [​IMG]

Remorque, Maki, RUNAWAY and 1 other person like this.
  5. I might have to rate the extras after all!

Remorque, Maki, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  6. I'm done rating the songs on Spotify, only need to do the which aren't now (which admittedly is quite a bit as a lot of the songs are greyed out dd). But I'll definitely be done by the deadline.

Remorque, Maki, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  7. Yeah, I’m gonna need a couple more days. Been unwell these past few days and blasting jpop wasn’t in my treatment fff

Remorque, Maki, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]

• NAGI, MI-MI and MEG started out as Ko Spellers (a pun on THE GOSPELLERS, a male acapella group, that uses a kanji for "girl" for the first syllable) in 2001.
    • In 2003 they decided to add a fourth member and thus NANAKA joined. And also hogged most of the spotlight ever since, dddd.
    • In 2007 the label avex trax signed them as an indie act. After releasing two indie EPs, the girls were promoted to a major act and officially re-debuted in 2008 with an EP titled Brightest Star.
    • Were presented as all-round performers, who could both dance and harmonize.
    • Were criminally underrated with a couple of releases selling only 6000 copies max and others even less.
    • Can't believe it's been almost 10 years since they disbanded.
    • All of the girls went on to do their own thing, but only NANAKA (good) and MI-MI (superb) released something musically.

Remorque, Maki, Crisp X and 4 others like this.
  9. I'm loving everything I'm hearing and I've done two of the ladies already, but I've been on a trip and my rating has been put on hold... An extention would most definitely be welcome!

RUNAWAY, evilsin and berserkboi like this.
  10. I finally finished.. a lot of these songs I hadn’t heard in years, so it was nice to be reminded of them. I affirmed that Crystal Kay is amazing, Miliyah - I actually prefer her later pop music like Emotion and Desire, but she has great music all throughout her career. DOUBLE’s output still sounds great even though it’s very reflective of its time.

I love Thelma Aoyama and Bright, so I’m glad they were included. Thelma’s latest music isn’t quite up to the standards she set before, but hopefully she’ll have a resurgence one day.

11. I haven't started this yet and will only be able to nearer to the end of the week so an extension would be very welcome fff. I'm so excited to dig into all these artists who are unknown to me!

Remorque, RUNAWAY and evilsin like this.
  12. Changing streaming platforms every other song like

[​IMG]

Seriously, Japan?

Remorque, Maki, soratami and 4 others like this.
  13. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Hello. We want to thank everyone who's already sent in their ballots, and your requests for an extension have been heard.

Therefore,

NEW DEADLINE MAY 18TH, 2022 @ 11:59PM

Remorque, Maki, Macsun and 8 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    • Half-Taiwanese, half-Japanese.
    • Chose her name by combining "Japan" and "Formosa" from Ilha Formosa, the old name for Taiwan's main island.
    • When she was little was in a backing choir for Michael Jackson.
    • Spent her teenage years going back and forth between America and Japan.
    • At the age of 17 joined a group by the name of AZIZ, whose song Mama got to be featured in the Little Nicky movie with Adam Sandler.
    • Debuted solo in 2002 with Island Records.
    • Was an opening act for AI (who is also featured in our rate) during her club tour.
    • Changed labels 3 times and ended up staying with Rhythm Zone, avex trax's urban subsidiary.
    • Despite not releasing anything herself since 2014 and not having been featured on a track since 2019, is still with her label, who didn't drop her.

Remorque, Maki, Trinu 3.0 and 4 others like this.
  15. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

16. [​IMG]

• Half-Colombian, half-Japanese.
    • Debuted solo in 1993 at the age of 18 with the single "OUT OF CRY".
    • Changed 10 labels in 5 years because they were all pushing already created songs for her, when she wanted to write the songs herself.
    • During that time worked with acts such as Ram Jam World and Blue on Blue using monikers Chica Colombiana and UNIKA.
    • Was inspired by Madonna to write, produce and have a hand in all aspects of her music.
    • In 1998 formed a little group so precious to my heart called m-flo with her former classmates VERBAL and Taku Takahashi.
    • In 2002 decided to leave m-flo at their peak and try pursuing a solo career once again with a much better success this time.
    • Additional to her own music, produced tracks for other artists such as Koda Kumi, NewS, Kyoko, Tsuchiya Anna and Ryohei.
    • After her solo career ended with her managing agency's contract, took a little break and reunited with VERBAL and Taku in 2018 to ressurect the original line-up of one of the best music groups in the world.
    • Remains one of my personal favorite artists of all time.

Remorque, Maki, Crisp X and 6 others like this.
  17. I finally have a number for each song!
    Now I am going to give some songs another listen to refine my scores, write up some commentary, and really hone in on my 11.

18. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

@aaronhansome
    @Ana Raquel
    @Attis
    @berserkboi
    @cookiedough
    @Crisp X
    @FunkyButChic
    @Glitterizer
    @Jawshxx
    @Joli Chat
    @junglefish
    @Kaz D'Oerba
    @Macsun
    @Maki
    @mi|kshake
    @Remorque
    @thommyh
    @Trinu 3.0

Tagging everyone else who's liked or commented in the thread to announce:

NEW DEADLINE MAY 18TH, 2022 @ 11:59PM

Please PM us or comment here if you're still interested in voting, and if this will be enough time, and if not we're happy to discuss further extension options (but nothing crazy like another month or anything ddd) . Thank you everyone!!!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    Remorque, Maki, Crisp X and 5 others like this.
  19. I finished the incredible DOUBLE section too! Taking things a little slow due to work picking all the way up this week, but I'll certainly make the new deadline! <3

Remorque, Maki, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  20. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Also @ BRIGHT & LISA

[​IMG]

Remorque, Maki, Crisp X and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.