The Kacey Musgraves discography rate - #1 "scalp the gays"

It was the winter of 2012. I was 21 years old, had secured my own apartment and was about to move away from home. Things were fucking scary. Life was scary. I had one semester left in college and life was practically around the corner.

It's funny how sometimes certain music comes to you when you need it the most. I remember reading about Merry Go 'Round on some forum - probably a chart-related one - and immediately thinking "what a lovely title, I should like this song". I remember listening to it. And sometimes you just know. You just know something is going to stay with you. It's going to sound just as good five years down the line as it does on that very first occasion. I knew. And I still know.

As I moved into such an uncertain phase of my life, there came this song that basically told me what would happen if I didn't take all the chances I saw coming. If I stayed in my safety. If I did what everybody else expected of me, rather than what I wanted to. And it's stayed with me since.

Then when the queer country anthem Follow Your Arrow came along, I surrendered completely. Kacey won my heart, and she's taken such good care of it since. Healing me through heartache, boosting my confidence when I've been feeling small, and when I've felt good, she's made me feel even better. Most importantly; she's always reminded me to be myself.

And then last night, I saw her live for the first time and got to thank her personally for it all.

d8fb64014fb189fb21e46f99beb219cb.gif

So let’s celebrate Kacey kicking off her world tour and converting this entire forum into sequin bumpkins by rating (most of) her discography!

The rules are easy: rate the songs listed below from 0 to 10. You have one 11 at your disposal, and PM me your scores before the deadline.

VOTING DEADLINE: SUNDAY DECEMBER 16, 23:59PM CET

Here’s your Spotify playlist featuring all the songs, and below is the list in PM-friendly format:

Same Trailer, Different Park
Silver Lining
My House
Merry Go ‘Round
Dandelion
Blowin’ Smoke
I Miss You
Step Off
Back On The Map
Keep It To Yourself
Stupid
Follow Your Arrow
It Is What It Is

Pageant Material
High Time
Dime Store Cowgirl
Late To The Party
Pageant Material
This Town
Biscuits
Somebody To Love
Miserable
Die Fun
Family Is Family
Good Ol’ Boys Club
Cup of Tea
Fine
Are You Sure

A Very Kacey Christmas
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Let It Snow
Christmas Don’t Be Late
A Willie Nice Christmas
Feliz Navidad
Christmas Makes Me Cry
Present Without A Bow
Mele Kalikimaka
I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas
Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Ribbons and Bows
What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?

Golden Hour
Slow Burn
Lonely Weekend
Butterflies
Oh, What A World
Mother
Love Is A Wild Thing
Space Cowboy
Happy & Sad
Velvet Elvis
Wonder Woman
High Horse
Golden Hour
Rainbow

Extras
Kansas City Star
The Trailer Song
You Win Again
High Horse (Kue Remix)
High Horse (Violents Remix)
Roy Rogers
To June This Morning (w. Ruston Kelly)
Waves (w. Miguel)
A Spoonful of Sugar
Love Is A Liar
Heartache Song

7xvN.gif

Last edited:
Results thus far

#61 (TIE) - Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - 5.043
#61 (TIE) - A Willie Nice Christmas - 5.043
#60 - I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas - 5.261
#59 - A Spoonful of Sugar - 5.348
#58 - Christmas Don't Be Late - 5.435
#57 - Let It Snow (feat. The Quebe Sisters) - 5.707
#56 - Mele Kalikimaka (feat. The Quebe Sisters) - 5.717
#55 - Feliz Navidad - 5.728
#54 - The Heartache Song - 5.750
#53 - You Win Again - 6.152
#52 - To June This Morning (with Ruston Kelly) - 6.326
#51 - Are You Sure (with Willie Nelson) - 6.587
#50 - Kansas City Star - 6.630
#49 - High Horse (Violents remix) - 6.641
#48 - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - 6.674
#47 - Roy Rogers - 6.717
#46 - Love Is A Liar - 6.848
#45 - High Horse (Kue Remix) - 6.946
#44 - The Trailer Song - 6.957
#43 - Family Is Family - 6.967
#42 - Present Without A Bow (feat. Leon Bridges) - 7.109
#41 - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? - 7.130
#40 - This Town - 7.141
#39 - Stupid - 7.261
#38 - Blowin' Smoke - 7.283
#36 (TIE) - Good Ol' Boys Club - 7.359
#36 (TIE) - My House - 7.359
#35 - Cup of Tea - 7.391
#34 - Step Off - 7.522
#33 - Ribbons and Bows - 7.554
#32 - Dandelion - 7.587
#31 - Keep It To Yourself - 7.685
#30 - Velvet Elvis - 7.728
#29 - Fine - 7.739
#28 - Christmas Makes Me Cry - 7.783
#25 (TIE) - Die Fun - 7.804
#25 (TIE) - Miserable - 7.804
#25 (TIE) - Biscuits - 7.804

Last edited:
I can add that I was a bit arbitrary with choosing the extra tracks, she’s done so many duets these last years, but it felt pointless to include them all. The Christmas album was included after asking around if there would be any interest, and a couple people thought it would be cute to include.

I’ve also excluded all the stuff she released independently pre-Same Trailer, Different Park, simply because it’s not easily available legally and it’s not really part of her legacy.

And if anybody requests Apologize to be added I'll have all your scores disqualifed xx

Super excited about this. I'm seeing Kacey on Sunday, so I'll be using this to get to know her music even better. There are potential 11s on all the three regular albums.

However, I hate most things related to Christmas, so I don't know how I feel about having to listen to A Very Kacey Christmas for the first time.