The Kacey Musgraves discography rate - #16 "love the Dolly-ish swagger" | Page 16 | The Popjustice Forum

The Kacey Musgraves discography rate - #16 "love the Dolly-ish swagger"

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by KamikazeHeart, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Really? I love Velvet Elvis but it’s certainly first track out contender.

2. I just have a fondness for it, since it's my favorite track on the album, so I was hoping it would hang on a bit longer. Plus, it really popped off when she did it live.

ohnostalgia and pop3blow2 like this.
  3. I was actually 99% sure Velvet Elvis would be the first eliminated from Golden Hour. Just had a feeling.

I've had weird relationship with this song. I immediately liked it a lot > then cooled some > & have started to come back to it again as my love for Golden Hour has increased.

I just looked at some of my other Golden Hour scores & maybe underscored a couple of songs a bit. That said, in the ensuing months since I rated, I've come back to the album a lot & so I like/love some songs more than I did when I rated.

ohnostalgia likes this.
  4. The next song title fits its position just...

[​IMG]
    #29 - Fine
    Score: 7.739
    Highest vote: 10 x 3 (@Lila, @MollieSwift21, @ohnostalgia)
    Lowest vote: 4,5 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk)

I've stopped counting sheep, now I just count the days
    'Til you're back in this bed that I remake every time
    And if they ask, I'll say I'm fine, fine

I'm glad this made it as far as it did, even though it's a bit of a surprise to find it this high! The waltzing melody and mellow delivery is Kacey at her most bittersweet, and it's nice to hear Kacey in old school country-mode every now and then.
    • Reboot: I like the lyric about the circus leaving town. Other than that it’s a bit dull.
    • Trouble in Paradise: Much more emotionally resonating than its parent album.
    • constantino: The instrumental is SO familiar and it’s irking me because I cannot place it. I’m trying to not let that distract me from how wonderful the song actually is, but it’s hard. This has a wonderful sense of levity to it, which is very fitting for the unofficial closing track.
    • VivaForever: ‘I reach for the phone just to make sure it's on.’ Relatable queen. The music is okay, but this is getting an extra two points for the lyrics.
    • Sprockrooster: A bit drifty, but also something I seem to skip from time to time. Not necessarily boring, but also not compelling me.
    • Music Is Life: A great ballad with lyrics I really connect with.
    • pop3blow2: So, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I wish PM would’ve just ended with Cup Of Tea. Fine, is well… fine. But I find it un-essential (especially when coupled with the hidden track)
    • Seventeen Days: This is giving me Tammy Wynette vibes, and I’m all about it. Very pretty track.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  5. [Kandy Ho voice] what the fuck

ohnostalgia likes this.
  6. I would have sent Wonder Woman packing before Velvet Elvis honestly, but if I had to pick two songs from (the immaculate) Golden Hour to go first, it'd be those two.

Fine could have definitely hung around longer.

Seventeen Days and ohnostalgia like this.
  7. EXCUSEZ-MOI?

VivaForever and Lila like this.
  9. Time to say goodbye.

[​IMG]
    #28 - Christmas Makes Me Cry
    Score: 7.783
    Highest vote: 10 x 2 (@RUNAWAY, @MollieSwift21)
    Lowest vote: 3 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk)

Seems like everybody else is having fun
    I wonder if I'm the only one
    Whose broken heart still has broken parts just wrapped in pretty paper
    And it's always sad seeing mom and dad getting a little grayer

Time to bid our Christmas album adeiu (poor @WowWowWowWow), and this jolly tune is the top placer. Perhaps un-surprisingly it was written by the Golden Threesome that is Kacey, Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally, and it's about the merry subject of not being with your loved one.

Do you like it A LOT? Somebody liked this song so much they made a 20-minute version of a live performance:

• Reboot: Now this is a Christmas song I can relate to. I’ve always been envious of people who look forward to Christmas because it’s always been a pretty shitty time for me. Not to mention New Years Eve. God, those days were bad. I hope there’s not a song about New Years Eve on here.
    • Trouble in Paradise: This is what I expected listening to a Kacey Musgraves christmas album. There’s a heart in this song and her vocals are crushing. Maybe I’m just a grinch but I’ll take this over a million “I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas”
    • constantino: What do Christmas and a 10-inch penis have in common? Both make me cry. In all seriousness, this is beautiful. A wonderful contribution to the cannon of Christmas classics.
    • VivaForever: I remember being worried this was a cover of the jingoistic Mandisa bullshit and being so relieved it wasn’t. And in fact, it’s a really nice song. Christmas is always tough for me, as it’s the time of year when my mom died and when I ran away from home, and this cuts to the quick better than a lot of ‘sad Christmas’ songs. I mean, Hard Candy Christmas it ain’t, but what is? Musically it’s rather boring, though.
    • Sprockrooster: Shoutout to queen Brandy Clark!
    • Music Is Life: This is sad. Why does Christmas make you cry Kacey? Okay wait, the mom and dad getting grayer line kinda hurt.
    • pop3blow2: This song is really nice. My least favorite xmas song is ‘Blue Christmas’ & it’s like she knows that & wrote a good version of that song. Bless you, Kacey.
    • Seventeen Days: Okay, this one hit me right in the feels. This is beautiful.
    • sapnu puas: oop her voice really is so effective in its simple beauty.

Robsolete, ufint, sapnu puas and 14 others like this.
  10. That is the high quality content I crave, bless you @constantino

11. IT WAS A YARA SOFIA REFERENCE!!1

12. Is your commentary personality still drag race quotes?

Sprockrooster and soratami like this.
  13. [​IMG]

14. Whew! I just started my new job this week in the city council so things are HECTIC right now. I'll do my best to keep up with this but I'm currently spending most of my evenings reading reports that are 250 pages long ddd. I'll wrap up one elimination now though!

15. A triple tie at 25-27. One of them - the first 11.

But not this one.
    [​IMG]

#25 (TIE) - Die Fun
    Score: 7.804
    Highest vote: 10 x 3 (@Slice of Life, @RUNAWAY, @MollieSwift21)
    Lowest vote: 5 x 1 (@VivaForever)

We can't do it over
    They say it's now or never and all we're ever gettin' is older

Kacey goes a bit Lana. Apparently the production was much beefier at first, but they cut down layer after layer until we're left with the almost acoustic version that's on the record. At its core it's just a tribute to having fun while we're around, so let's drink to that.

• Reboot: Queen of writing songs that are capable of giving me an
    • existential crisis.
    • Trouble in Paradise: The mood of this song really throws me off. It’s a little too emotionally all over the map for me.
    • constantino: Whew, she really snapped on here lads. Most of her songs are implicitly sad and often feature lighter production elements...but not this one. Nah, this is about as stark and desolate as it gets...
    • VivaForever: The lyric is great, but the music is such a bore.
    • Music Is Life: I like this, cute little mid-tempo/ballad type and I like the lyrics but I just have one question: How do you die fun?
    • Slice of Life: Ugh another empowering anthem. YOLO found rotting.
    • pop3blow2: Very Dixie Chicks-esue in the best way. Brilliant song.
    • Seventeen Days: This one is just a skosh too “Follow Your Arrow but make it slow” for me. It’s a decent little track though.

16. We stan a public servant queen!

17. And it's not this one.

[​IMG]
    #25 (TIE) - Miserable
    Score: 7.804
    Highest vote: 10 x 2 (@Slice of Life, @MollieSwift21)
    Lowest vote: 5 x 2 (@Reboot, @VivaForever)

Poor Slice of Life and MollieSwift21 losing two 10s consecutively! I'm not the biggest fan of this one, it kinda drowns out in the album for me and I think the album as a whole would have benefited without it.

• Music Is Life: Yes I am, thanks for noticing.
    • Trouble in Paradise: A nice precursor to “Happy and Sad.”
    • constantino: There are plenty of soft moments on this album, and this is one the better ones, albeit not the most memorable.
    • Slice of Life: Just starting to realize that this album is speaking so much to my soul. Okay thank u. This song is sickeningly good.
    • pop3blow2: How does she perfectly cram so much into a 3 minute song? How do you attain this superpower? Cause that's what this is: A Superpower.
    • Seventeen Days: ….Ouch. This one cuts deep for me, having suffered from depression in the past. I’m better now, but I have lost friends over my constant pessimism in the past. I love that Kacey writes about real things that you wouldn’t hear being talked about in country music.

18. Well, I know about this one. I gave it a 9.5. It's surely a top 20 Kacey song for me.... maybe even top 15.

Also, her ability for writing these little compact 3 minute studies on love, life, & the human condition really does leave me floored. She's a musical superhero.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.