The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: The End. Onto the next part we go | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate PART I: The End. Onto the next part we go

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I don’t know if I can make the deadline even with it extended. I’m a failure.

evilsin likes this.
  2. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Okay just give everything a 10 then except It's a small world and Heat.

3. I'll forgive you for not commenting on the tracks!
    HEATHEN!

send photo and Ceir like this.
  4. Are you joking or...?

evilsin likes this.
  5. My lips are almost sealed (until Friday).

mi|kshake and send photo like this.
  6. Now that we have 10 full voters I wanted to give you some useless statistics:

- The strongest and the weakest contenders were determined pretty much from the start;
    - Still every single point you guys gave counted it's weight in gold, because due to little number of voters every score changed the position of the song to better or worse;
    - For instance at 5 voters we had so much ties! One 6 track tie, two 5 track ties, three 4 track ties and seven 2 track ties. Have the situation changed with more votes? Will we have 2 winners!? We'll have to wait and see (!HIKKI! reference);
    - Not a single of you bakayarous submitted comments for every single song. Well, you will have to deal with my brilliant artwork and shitty wordplay.

Y'ALL STILL HAVE 3 DAYS TO VOTE and comment if you already voted.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Deleted member 7462 and Ceir like this.
  7. My commentary for 90% of her early stuff:
    No.

8. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  9. Best ~first things~
    [​IMG]

Fame. Approval. Gratitude.

Some might think it's weird to make a write-up for a best album, but this is not just any collection of songs. This is a fucking legacy! Kumi's first album to reach #1 spot on Oricon chart with massive 2 million copies sold in the end. A slew of big singles such as Butterfly definitely boosted Kumi popularity after the success of secret and made adamant that this best would reach the top. Still no one expected how high it actually would. This whole situation with 4 first albums gathering some traction that eventually erupted into one big release reminds me how Ayumi's first album was preceded by singles that had little impact overall, although Ayu did strike gold a lot sooner.

Kumi herself said at the time "I'm glad I didn’t give up... I could finally see a stage sparkling in the spotlight... Every single day felt like a dream." She couldn't be happier that people were listening to her songs, that they were finally getting her. At that time she won her first Japan Record Awards and was invited to Kouhaku Uta Gassen (an invite only year-end showcase for the most popular artists) for the first time. The ero-kakkoi style was booming, still Kuu was apprehensive, because she didn't know what her parents would think about the whole shindig. In the end they were supportive "When I saw my parents smiling happily, it was then, from the bottom of my heart, I was glad I stuck with my style."

Some unconventional promotions were held for the best as well like summoning a huddle of Kumi clones to Shibuya and just walking around.

[​IMG]

Sonically the best is quite a journey. You can see how Kumi grew as an artist yet still remained true to her roots as the songs do blend together nicely converging into a complete story. One of the highlights is obviously the exclisuve NO TRICKS that to this day stay a bit of a hidden gem in her discography as well as the singles that were released prior to the album. Butterfly is arguably one of her most recognized songs and will forever be inducted in the annals of history as the definition of ero-kakkoi, while flower and Promise still shine bright with gorgeous melodies even though they were a bit forgotten as well.

Anyhow, what Kumi did next shook the Japanese industry (and me), but we will learn about those iconic events in the next part of the rate, muahaha.

(I still can't believe we didn't get the full version of the music video for Star!)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    yuuurei, vague, send photo and 7 others like this.
  10. Take U, break U, make U mine... And U gonna love it, U gonna, U gonna love it.
    Lay down, lay down, and I'll lay down the law.
    This is your 1 day notice to vote!

The voting ends on November 10th 23:59 Moscow Time.
    (But I will post first results around 10AM Moscow Time on November 11, so ya'll get 10 extra hours!)

@ChiquitaPlantain
    @junglefish
    @Sprockrooster (the final final one, right?)
    @DrinkMyTears

[​IMG]

send photo and Sprockrooster like this.
  11. Take U, break U, make U mine... And U gonna love it, U gonna, U gonna love it.

(But I will post first results around 10AM Moscow Time on November 11, so ya'll get 10 extra hours!)

@aaronhansome
    @ThisIsRogue
    @ohnostalgia
    @digitalkaiser
    @Osiris

[​IMG]

12. Take U, break U, make U mine... And U gonna love it, U gonna, U gonna love it.

@Rmx
    @One Stop Candy Shop
    @Deja-Boo

[​IMG]

send photo likes this.
  13. Tomorrow precious.

evilsin likes this.
  14. I'll get this done tonight along with hopefully some ayu rate elims

15. Ehm... can anyone who asked for the 4 extra rare tracks send them to our boo @Remorque by any chance? I'm at work and will be able to assist only in about 9 hours. THANK YOU!

send photo and Remorque like this.
  16. I’m so sorry, I won’t have time to do this... I’ll try to participate in the second part. Sorry, sorry, sorry @evilsin!
    Y’all better not do Selfish dirty.

evilsin likes this.
  17. Welp, it's doomed now that you're not able to take part. Kanashiiiiiiii~~~

send photo and junglefish like this.
  18. I am going to cook (starving) and then I am all yours!

send photo and evilsin like this.
  19. Feed me and tell me stories? Be there in an hour.

send photo and Sprockrooster like this.
  20. IT'S AN OFFICAL 1 HOUR NOTICE!

And an unofficial 11 hours notice, kii.

[​IMG]

send photo and ThisIsRogue like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.