The Koda Kumi Rate PART II: WE'RE DONE, for now | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate PART II: WE'RE DONE, for now

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Mar 20, 2018.

?

So what's with all those introductions?

1. Introduction to the second session

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. INTRODUCTION

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Introduction for Kingdom

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. INTRODUCTION FOR TRICK

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. Give it something from 1-3 first, hun.

otenkiame likes this.
  2. evilsin, vague and otenkiame like this.
  3. See I'm not the only one having problem with image hosts... (I finally deleted my old Photobucket account).

4. Awww Anytime is a cute little song, I thought it would do better!

evilsin, vague, yuuurei and 1 other person like this.
  5. Never thought you guys would give anytime a chance, so glad it made it this far.

EachSmallStep, evilsin and vague like this.
  6. All right listen, bitch! I never said my comments were elaborate, I just said that some of my commentary was more complimentary than what I've said on some of my lower-scored tracks!!

Moving ON, while I found anytime a little boring, there are other tracks that could have gone before it. Not really torn up about it though.

(just to be clear, this was not a Serious Post)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. It's kinda time for Black Cherry (track) to leave

8. When I saw her live, she forgot the lyrics to Anytime lol.

EachSmallStep, vague and evilsin like this.
  9. I will, hun, thanks.
    I see someone can't handle a little bit of shade, huh?
    [​IMG]
    Looks like it's as forgettable to her as it is to some of you.

10. [​IMG]
    MORE

Average:
    Highest score: 10x1 (@EachSmallStep) 9x3 (@Remorque, @Weslicious, @me!)
    Lowest score: 4x1 (@mi|kshake) 5x1 (@lalaclairi_)
    My score: lookie above

Okay, okay, you can stop slaughtering my Kingdom babies now. Alas, the rate has to bid its farewell to MORE. Produced by Phrased Differently (remember those guys!) and Philippe-Marc Anquetil, Anna-Maria La Spina and Christopher-Lee Joe in particular and written by Kumi, the track was the second one to be produced by them for Kumi with the first one ever being Run For Your Life. Ahhh, the good old times of listening to all of the demos they had on their website and ruminating on which ones could be bought by avex for our queen. What a thrilling time to be alive it was! The soaring piano-led ballad was always a hit with me, since I didn't expect Kuu to go all out with the vocals like that and the cabaret-lite feeling to the whole thing gave it a unique twist which is yet to be duplicated to this extent. Speaking of vocals, Kingdom was such a good place for her in that regard, Jesus. My only wish is that it had a middle 8, but other than that, I love this. No secrets here when it comes to lyrics though, Kumi just wants more of her partner:

No matter how much I sing

all the love songs in the world,
    feelings I can't convey begin to overflow

It's a world without anyone else
    It's like we're on a star that's just for us
    You taught me the true meaning
    of loving and being loved

On nights when stars fall, I feel you
    and I want you to feel me

I want you more
    Everything more
    Treasure me more
    I want you more
    Everything more
    If you wish for it, I'll give you everything
    I love you more
    (c) @otenkiame

So what did you guys had to say about this loveliness? Surprisingly, some of you were left wanting less from MORE hehe. For instance, @RUNAWAY (5,5) was all over the place with his thoughts and notes and still trying to grasp what the song was, "I wrote in my notes about this song and it was too boring to go back for another listen. It seems to be trying to do A LOT but not really succeeding. Like I don’t know if it wants to be a ballad or a mid-tempo, and it’s not just solid enough to be either of those." It's just one of those unique unicorns, hun. From the looks of it, @vague (5,5) believes this would have benefitted from being more subdued, "hm, i don't really know what to think of this one. the chorus is nice enough, i guess, but i also think it's kinda over sung, and the rest of the song isn't doing much for me" Nah, let the girl show off her pipes. @yuuurei (7) doesn't mind Kumi's vocals, but she would gladly get rid of the backing ones, "I like this but I would like it a bit MORE without the background singers. They make it a bit cheesy when it could be quite gorgeous if it was just Kuu alone." That's Phrased Differently for you.

@ThisIsRogue (7) speaks... of something, "The intro of this song with the piano is a bit of a fake-out isn't it? Sounds like it's going to dive straight into a piano bop, then quickly turns into a piano ballad." Isn't it just a piano melody from one of those old movies, or titles, or even taverns? Like... to give it a bit of a retro feel? @TABOO (6,5) probably knows for certain, but he's here to tell us about the music video for this, "The PV is what truly makes this song stand out for me. I appreciate what she does with this, but it’s not one I often visit unless I’m listening to the album in full. She sounds quite lovely in this however!" YES! The PV is simple and yet striking. The jazz enthusiast @otenkiame (8) appreciates the sound, "Kuu really does so well with jazz. She definitely has the vocal chops and emotion to pull it off convincingly, too, and tries bringing my ass to church with those soaring and soulful choruses. Great work, Kuu." Funnily enough, there are a lot of people who say that she doesn't have enough soul to carry the songs like this, oh well. People are stupid, Leslie (c) And finishing is @Weslicious (9), who was left a bit stunned by the beauty of the song and only managed to utter, "SANG!!" She sure did, she sure did.

MORE was actually the very first album track we heard from the album, when Kumi surprisingly performed it during PREMIUM LIMITED LIVE IN HALL IN YOKOHAMA ARENA, which was later included on a 2DVD edition of Kingdom. We'll have to opt for the Kingdom Tour performance though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  11. If you're going to shade me, do it about something that I actually said next time or I'm not having it!
    [​IMG]

Anyway, that live perf of MORE is pretty incredible! The bg singing wasn't as noticeable and it sounded way better just like I thought. I also loved what I could see of her costume, wow.

EachSmallStep, evilsin and vague like this.
  12. How can you go from Run For Your Life to More! More just isn't my type of music.

evilsin and vague like this.
  13. Awww, MORE should have done better though?

EachSmallStep, evilsin and TABOO like this.
  14. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Exactly. Run for Your Life is awesome, and MORE.....isn’t. Sorry @evilsin.

evilsin and vague like this.
  15. I already did when you gave a 9 and a couple of words of wisdom to Unmei. Now I'm keeping up that narrative, hun.
    Diversity!
    It should've, but all the songs in the rate have to go at some point, sadly.
    No forgiveness for you lot.

soratami and EachSmallStep like this.
  16. These are not synonyms for "glowing"! I never once claimed my commentary was particularly articulate or verbose, I only said it wasn't all disparaging! If I say something mean for some reason about something I gave a 9 or above, then you can come for me and I'd deserve it. But this shade is unjustified and I swear, you are this close to seeing me become an actual villain.
    [​IMG]

Moving on from my theatrics, there's a song I'm pleasantly surprised is still in this rate but I'm not gonna say what it is in case I jinx it. Still, I kind of expected it to go really early so yay for it!

17. Or I can just keep on annoying you.
    [​IMG]

18. My astrologer warned me about associating with other scorpios, I should have fucking listened.

EachSmallStep, vague and evilsin like this.
  19. You have... your own astrologer?
    [​IMG]

Osiris likes this.
  20. Who doesn't?

vague and evilsin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.