Votes: 4 21.1%
  • INTRODUCTION

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Introduction for Kingdom

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • INTRODUCTION FOR TRICK

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
Yeah, I see @TABOO isn't winning any favors lately.

TABOO to her haters.

GIF]

3 weeks till the deadline... might as well start this.

Anyhow, what Kumi did next shook the Japanese industry (and me), but we will learn about those iconic events in the next part of the rate, muahaha.

mPM5cGE.gif

This best, people, this fucking best.
Imagine you stumbled upon a new artist, who is certainly not a newbie by this point of her career and has a bit of material to check out, but no! You are bombarded by the constant flow of new music and visual stimuli right off the bat! Kumi's 12 singles in 12 weeks was something entirely else. I can't even fathom how astonishing it was living at the time somewhere in Tokyo with Kumi freaking everywhere! Doing this after the success of Best ~first things~ was such a smart move and I hope whoever came up with the idea got a raise. I mean it did sell close to 2 million like it's predecessor, not counting the singles, and it did spawn (pre-spawn?) her first two #1 Oricon hits ever - you and feel.

Despite having all of the songs except 2 and a half being released in the span of 3 months, this best is hard to call a best, mainly due to how fast we got the music with no other releases in between. Hence I tend to regard this as a studio album, although technically it's not. And speaking of music itself here we have one of the strongest pop offering in Kumi's discography. Pratically every single song shines on it's own highlighting the genre it represents and showing what a music chameleon Kumi is. Seriously, I love all of the songs here not you, A Whole New World and I feel so blessed that I arrived just in time for Kumi's ascension to the throne. Where ~first things~ felt like an ending to a prologue, ~second session~ was a proper beginning to chapter 1.

The artwork and the music videos were all simply amazing. Because of the scans for the singles I met one of my best friends of 12 years. Wow.​

Last edited:
her first two #1 Oricon hits ever - you and feel.

And they deserve to be too!

Hence I tend to regard this as studio album,

Same here!

The artwork and the music videos were all simply amazing. Because of the scans for the singles I met one of my best friends of 12 years. Wow.

That's so cool!

This is one of my favourite periods of her career. I used to love logging in to the JPopMusicForums everyday to see what the latest news on the 12 singles releases were. Like you said, releasing these singles after First Things (another nostalgic time in her career for me) was a stroke of genius!

That's so cool!
Yeah, I started to frequent a Russian Ayu forum at the time and there was this new member who was posting full booklet scans for the 12 singles so I messaged her on ICQ only to learn where she was getting those. Surprisingly, she decided to go beyond that and we just started chatting every day about JPop and whatnot and then eventually got to meet up. She's one of my favorite persons ever.
This is one of my favourite periods of her career. I used to love logging in to the JPopMusicForums everyday to see what the latest news on the 12 singles releases were.
YEEEEEES. People were shook.
I became a fan right before the start of the 12 singles project and it was quite THE event.
Like some acts tried to do something similar, but no one even dared to think about 12 in 12.

Last edited:
she/her
I'm just about done my first run-through of the list, only TRICK and those last 4 extras left to go. I didn't really get the big deal about the lack of cohesion in her albums until I got to Kingdom; the whiplash between some of the tracks there is really something. But I've found some new jams for sure.
fbLnQ1Z.gif