The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020 | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Which short track / interlude deserved a full version?

1. Prologue to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Interlude to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Introduction ~JAPONESQUE~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Interlude ~JAPONESQUE~

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Introduction ~Bon Voyage~

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Let's show tonight

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Interlude ~Bon Voyage~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. I'd actually forgotten about It's A Small World and A Whole New World...

I'm surprised All For You went first - I did not know it was so hated!

I hadn't heard Make it Bump before but found enjoyable enough for now!

Wow what a quick start to the rate @evilsin you are ON IT!

Remorque, evilsin, Yeziirl and 2 others like this.
  2. I felt Kumi was too personal, especially when I'm a bit green to her music, but Koda Kumi seemed too formal (and long).

vague, evilsin and mi|kshake like this.
  3. I’m so sorry I couldn’t get my votes in time. I’m looking forward to the rate!

vague and evilsin like this.
  4. I'm absolutely fine with these leaving. So it's going fucking swimmingly.

All for you would have gotten a point more from me if it would have been a song that was, well... actually produced a smidge, but instead we got a demo recorded from her car on her Nokia 3010.

Melting would have been fine were it not for her shouting her way through it (those first few lines are rough, you guys) and I've never cared for anything considering Far East Movement.

vague, otenkiame, evilsin and 2 others like this.
  5. melting is the song you’d hear in hell

6. Thanks! I wanted to do a couple more yesterday evening... but I didn't. We'll continue in a bit though.
    I figured as much.
    It's okay, will be waiting for you in Part IV then.
    Have a listen to the live version I've posted with the elimination, it's a lot lovelier.
    Remixed with "IT'S A SMALL WORLD" and "A Whole New World", dddd.

7. [​IMG]
    You are not alone

Average: 6,31
    Highest scorers: 9,5x1 (@Music Is Life), 8x4 (@vague, @RUNAWAY, @Weslicious and @me!)
    Lowest scorers: 4x2 (@Cutlery, @Ana Raquel), 5x5 (@abael, @lalaclairi_, @otenkiame, @Coming Century, @Yeziirl)
    My score: lookie above

5 voters: #79, 5,70 avg.
    10 voters: #75, 5,90 avg.
    15 voters: #78, 6,33 avg.
    18 voters: #80, 6,31 avg.

Now I'm a little sad. This written by Kumi and produced by Harada Takuya (BoA's "Candle Lights", Crystal Kay's "Together", melody.'s "Finding My Road") number is perfectly fine, but no, you had to let it go so soon. Originally released as a b-side to "Ai wo Tomenaide" in its upbeat variant, an acoustic version ended up on "JAPONESQUE". I actually like both versions and appreciate how they bring something a little different to the table. The single version is quite robust and lively, while the album version is more hopeful and soulful. The latter also sounds like a lovely sing-along moment at a concert. Lyrics-wise this is about supporting your nearest and dearest and never giving up:

There are days when you lose the hope to live

And treat others badly
    You're trying to move forward, but
    It goes against how you feel

But you're doing your best
    I know this
    You're telling yourself,
    "I'll be strong" "I'm doing my best"

When you've lost your way,
    Call me, we'll laugh together
    (c) @otenkiame

So the verdict?

@Cutlery (4) wasn't feeling closer to god, "Yeah I'm gonna pass on Kuu's gospel moment" Dddd, I've never noticed that it has this quality to it.

It wasn't right up @abael's (5) street, "Corny and sort of underwhelming production-wise for both versions."

Somehow @otenkiame (5) knows a lot more about the track than me, "I'm not a big fan of this track. I know it was released for Japan in the aftermath of the March 11th earthquake, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. The original version is way too cheesy for me, though the acoustic version is nice with the campfire vibe. Yeah, I'd take the acoustic version over the original any day." LET'S ALL CLAP OUR HANDS TOGETHER! Pass the marshmallow. Jokes aside, I don't remember anything about its relation to the Tohoku earthquake, although its sentiment does sound like a song that could have been written adter something like this.

Meanwhile @Weslicious (8) prefers the single version, "The 'uptempo’ version gets this score."

Same goes for @RUNAWAY (8), "I rated the single version of this song, because that acoustic version, while nice, just is not as good as the version on the Ai wo Tomenaide single."

Wonder if @Music Is Life (9,5) checked out the single version, "Love the stomping production mixed with the acoustic guitar. The melody is really great too."

Well if he didn't, then here's his chance:

And here' a nice little performance from a Hibari Misora memorial concert.

And just a heads-up, the next three tracks that are leaving us are all ballads.

Love Deluxe, vague, Osiris and 6 others like this.
  8. Awwww.

I do quite enjoy both versions, but the stripped version is in a weird place on Japonesque.
    I'd have put it after Brave, leading out of that slower 'section' to the cuter tracks that would follow.

9. Engaged, Alive, For You?

10. I think it was the album version, cause that's what's in the Spotify playlist right?

evilsin likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    Yeah, that the album acoustic one. The first video in the post is the upbeat single version.

Weslicious, vague and Music Is Death like this.
  12. Oh okay. Then yeah, I love the acoustic one, but the single version is cute.
    If any of these go I'll be pissed.

evilsin likes this.
  13. [​IMG]
    78a
    (TIE)
    Brave

Average: 6,35
    Highest scorers: 9x1 (@Music Is Life), 8,75x1 (@vague)
    Lowest scorers: 2x1 (@Eskiath), 3x1 (@Yeziirl)
    My score: 6

5 voters: #77, 5,80 avg.
    10 voters: #82, 5,25 avg.
    15 voters: #81, 6,10 avg.
    18 voters: #78, 6,35 avg.

And just like that "JAPONESQUE" takes a third hit already. This is also our first tie of the rate, how many more will we have, hmm? Written by Kumi and produced by Hirokawa Hitoshi (BoA's "Long Time No See" and "Before You Said Godbye To Me", TVXQ's "Hug"), the ballad was one of the new album tracks that we got on the album. Welp, at least I agree with you about one of the worst ballads in the rate. God, I hated this so much when the album has just only came out. It always felt like a watered down "stay with me" to me. I also remember someone saying that this was recorded around the time "stay with me" was and that it was supposed to be a b-side for it. To whom do I make a sacrifice for getting "Winter Bell" instead? Funnily enough, I now found info that "Brave" was recorded a year before "JAPONESQUE" and it was considered for a single release. Again, another sacrifice is in order. Initially I was ready to give this a 4 a be done with it, but Kuu does sound very clear and gentle here, so I amped up the score by two points. When it comes to lyrics, it's about losing a person and going on living without them:

In truth, I've realized

that I can't live
    without you...
    But still I wish for someday
    Because I keep on loving you today too

The strength to love and the courage to begin a journey
    are the things you gave me
    But I can't do it alone, it's impossible alone
    I'm not strong, I'm a coward
    I wanted you to stay by me

(c) @otenkiame

Only 4 of you found words to describe how this one made you feel.

@abael (6) appreciated the change of pace, "What would be stick standard comes as refreshing after the opening tracks of Japonesque. It isn't great… but it's not more of that."

@otenkiame (7) was a little puzzled with his coming around, "I'd thought this was just another boring winter ballad before, but somehow it's recently sitting well with me. While it's not particularly different from her other winter ballads, there's still something about it that distinguishes itself enough to set it apart. Emotional without going overboard." It is a bit different that she decided to stay mostly subdued vocally all throughout the track, yes.

It doesn't take much for @Weslicious (7) to give Kumi a nice score, "A typical Kumi ballad. Nothing groundbreaking, but far from dire."

Somehow @Music Is Life (9) thinks this is a mid-tempo, "This is a cute mid-tempo." Okay, werk.

Kumi performed "Brave" live a couple of times, here it is as a part of a medley during Premium Night ~Love & Songs~:

14. It's a midtempo ballad.

15. It's not to me, but then again, we already argued about what constitutes a proper ballad and a mid-tempo in Part II, so what do I know.

Weslicious, vague and Music Is Death like this.
  16. Well I wasn't here for that so I'll argue anyway that this is a midtempo ballad.

evilsin likes this.
  17. Aww come on this was cute! How in pink hell is A Whole New World pt. II aka Alive still, well, alive?

18. CAUSE IT'S AMAZING!

mi|kshake and evilsin like this.
  19. [​IMG]
    78b
    TIE
    ENGAGED

Average: 6,35
    Highest scorers: 10x1 (@Music Is Life), 8,25x1 (@vague)
    Lowest scorers: 3x1 (@Yeziirl, @Ana Raquel), 4x1 (@lalaclairi_)
    My score: 7

5 voters: #70, 6,10 avg.
    10 voters: #72, 5,95 avg.
    15 voters: #80, 6,27 avg.
    18 voters: #78, 6,35 avg.

Extras are on par with "JAPONESQUE" in terms of losing tracks, I see. Written and produced by the one and only Komuro Tetsuya, "ENGAGED" was originally performed by his ever popular group TRF and was first released back in 1995 on their album "dAnce to positive". The track was specifically written to celebrate Max Matsuura's, avex's CEO, wedding. Later the track would be re-released in 2006 as part of the group's album "Lif-E-Motions". Kumi's version comes into view in 2013, when she was asked to cover the song for TRF's tribute album. It's the second time Kumi covered one of the group's songs with the first one being "JOY", that we had the joy hehe to witness in Part II. I really don't mind this. At first I thought it was a bit on the boring side, but it picked up in the second half. Besides, it does have that everlasting Komuro feel in its melodies, which is pretty undeniable most of the time. Kuu once again sounds really good here, so i had to give this a little more than I expected at first. The lyrics for this are about not dwelling in the past and moving forward:

The fact that I could meet you, the fact that you are by my side

Overcoming various fights, you're what I gained

I will change my life tonight
    Daybreak is coming now
    Together with new days with the darkness ending
    Even if everything disappears together with tomorrow
    Even if I even lose the light
    I have you

(c) @otenkiame

@Yeziirl (3) was trying to be cute, "now I've engaged in sleep activity, thanks to t... zzzz...."

As was @abael (5), "It’s five and a half minutes long, and you’ll definitely notice."

@Eskiath (7) recalls another ballad that may or may not leave soon, "Probably what 'Alive' should've been more like." Except "Alive" is gorgeous.

@otenkiame (7) once again mirrors my thoughts on the track, "I've never heard the original. Whoops. Anyway, it's quite a pretty track, and Kuu does an awesome job with her delivery. I'm surprised that I never gave this a chance, because it's much better than I expected." You can check out the original at the end of this elimination, boo.

The one deciphering the intricacies of Kumi's balladry is @Weslicious (8), "A nice cover. A bit more of a J-pop ballad than her usual ballads." Well yeah, it is by Komuro Tetsuya after all.

@Music Is Life (10) got his whole life to this one with a dash of existential rumination, "A gorgeous piano ballad. Opening with “I will change my life tonight” kinda hit me hard. Oh when it builds into something more and really – I don’t know how to put this – rises in feel, like lifts with emotion I don’t fucking know, but it’s a moment." I'm not that savvy in musical terms, but perhaps you were looking for the word "crescendo"?

Kumi never performed this live, so have a live performance of the original:

20. FUCK OFF everyone this is amazing.
    Also, yes @evilsin that's what I was trying to say, and I hate myself cause I should know that word cause I am a singer. #Flop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.