The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020 | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Which short track / interlude deserved a full version?

1. Prologue to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Interlude to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Introduction ~JAPONESQUE~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Interlude ~JAPONESQUE~

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Introduction ~Bon Voyage~

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Let's show tonight

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Interlude ~Bon Voyage~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. I'm not too bothered by these latest eliminations.

evilsin likes this.
  2. I can get behind every single one of these eliminations. None of them got a highish score from me, so...

I do, however, feel sorry for JAPONESQUE as it's not a bad album at all and this cull kinda makes me feel sorry for it.

vague, Yeziirl and evilsin like this.
  3. Ooofff that Japonesque CARNAGE!

vague, Yeziirl and evilsin like this.
  4. Let me start lighting a candle to pray for Bambi's safety

5. [​IMG]
    Alive

Average: 6,43
    Highest scorers: 10x1 (@Music Is Life), 9,75x1 (@Love Deluxe)
    Lowest scorers: 1x3 (@Cutlery, @Ana Raquel, @Yeziirl), 5x1 (@Eskiath)
    My score: 8

5 voters: #37, 7,50 avg.
    10 voters: #72, 5,95 avg.
    15 voters: #64, 6,75 avg.
    18 voters: #77, 6,43 avg.

"UNIVERSE" sustains its first loss in a single, that is "Alive". Written by Kumi and composed by George Frideric Handel, the track uses his 1711's aria "Lascia ch'io pianga" ("Let me cry"), which was used in his opera "Rinaldo". So basically all you 1-point scorers are literally shitting on the classics, dddd. Frankly speaking, I didn't know about this before I started preparing for the rate, kii. The arrangement for Kumi's rendition was done by Iwashiro Taro, who is a prolific film and TV series composer (alan's "Red Cliff ~Shin.Sen~", for instance). The track was used as a theme song for the film adaptation of the manga "Kamui Gaiden" a.k.a. "Kamui: The Lone Ninja" starring Matsuyama Kenichi and Koyuki. The official soundtrack for the movie claims that it has a "theatrical mix" of the song on it, which isn't readily available anywhere on the net. Still, I will have you know that I specifically tracked down the flick in order to check that mythical mix and I didn't hear anything different about it. Weird. The only thing I noticed is that the track length of the mix is a couple of seconds shorter, that's basically it. A bit surprisingly, this was one of Kumi's #1 singles. I like this. It's really soothing and relaxing. I remember I used to play this in the morning while I was waking up, as it was pretty perfect for that time of day. Moreover Kuu brings an ace vocal performance here, so I don't really see much to hate about this, alas you're allergic to slower songs. Lyrically, this is about one's will and determination to go on:

If I welcomed endless nights over and over
    could I see the light?
    No one to rely on, I'm all alone

In this golden sea
    until the day I overcome my sorrow and hatred,
    wipe away my overflowing tears,
    and I am released...

Loneliness grows in my heart
    I continue enduring it with bated breath
    And greet the tomorrow that comes again

If there's even a little
    rousing strength in my heart,
    I'll begin to walk when dawn comes
    with a spirit that won't give up

I'll walk without turning back...

(c) @otenkiame

What did you have to say about this classical piece then?

@Cutlery (1) dared to recall the beginnings of Part II of the rate, "Girl what is this Whole New World pt. II mess... Just as unlistenable. Burn this in the Disney 90s ballad rejects bin it crawled out from" Only this is hips better.

@Yeziirl (1) was definitely not one for the classical music, "its the most boring piece of music I’ve ever heard, probably" How brute of you.

Looks like @Eskiath (5) wasn't aware of the track's origin as well, "It's nice that she tried something different but it's a bit shit."

While @abael (7) found quite a bit to appreciate here, "A great performance by both KK and the production team helps see the album closed out better than it opens."

@otenkiame (8) saw how different this was to Kumi's other ballad, "This track seems to get a lot of hate from people, and I'm not entirely sure why. I like that Kuu took a risk and went with this classic inspired ballad. It's gentle and beautiful, and was a complete 180 to her ballads at the time (and even now). I think Kuu did great with this." Guess some people just have some innate aversion to classical music.

The praise from @Music Is Life (10) just keeps on coming, "This is a gorgeous ballad. Absolutely beautiful, the production, her vocals, all of it." You don't know how happy I am that you've participated.

Kumi performed the song live on TV a couple of times, but I can't track any of them online. You can try googling yourself, if you want to.

And here is the original piece, if you would like to check it out.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. Whoops!

evilsin likes this.
  7. Bop.

Weslicious, vague, Osiris and 2 others like this.
  8. What difference does knowing the origin make?

evilsin, Weslicious and Yeziirl like this.
  9. It doesn't!

evilsin likes this.
  10. I mean, Handel hadn't had a hit in like 250 years before Kumi jumped on one of his beats, so it's a good bit of info to know.

Kuueen of Kuulasics!

vague, RUNAWAY and evilsin like this.
  11. Well, at least now we do know that we all are musically illiterate over here.
    I'M HOWLING, because tea.

Weslicious, vague and mi|kshake like this.
  12. Hearing "All for you" live really makes me bitter that they didn't do a better job with what we got on JAPONESQUE. In fact, a live version on the album would've been better.

"Melting" really is what you'd hear in hell. I'm so glad she's seemed to have left behind her cutsey side.

I have nothing to say for "Make It Bump" now. I hardly had anything to say when rating.

I can't believe I knew something about Kuu that @evilsin didn't! A miracle! "You are not alone" isn't that bad, but glad to see it leave.

Now "Brave" leaving surprised me. I honestly thought it would do better than that.

Thanks for the link. Kuu's version of "ENGAGED" is better.

Not too surprised with "Alive" leaving, since ya'll seem to have no taste (and a lot of people on other forums as well).

vague and evilsin like this.
  13. [​IMG]
    LOL

Average: 6,54
    Highest scorers: 9,5x1 (@Music Is Life), 8,5x4 (@Ana Raquel, @Remorque, @lalaclairi_ and @me!)
    Lowest scorers: 2x1 (@Yeziirl), 3x2 (@Coming Century, @abael)
    My score: lookie above

5 voters: #79, 5,70 avg.
    10 voters: #68, 6,00 avg.
    15 voters: #69, 6,65 avg.
    18 voters: #76, 6,54 avg.

And just like that "Bon Voyage" is no longer going on unscathed with only the cover albums remaining without casualties. Written by Kumi, the team of Anne Judith Wik, Nermin Harambašić and Ronny Svendsen, a.k.a. DSign Music (Girls' Generation's "Genie", Amuro Namie's "Fast Car"), and Bardur Haberg (Hamasaki Ayumi's "Wake Me Up") and produced by DSign Music and Haberg, "LOL" was used as one of the promo tracks from "Bon Voyage", getting itself a music video along with "SHOW ME YOUR HOLLA". Now seeing people not being for it here was quite a ride, I must say. I've never found any problem with Kumi's laughing in this, as I interpreted it as if she's mocking someone, so it felt appropriate for me. You know, just Kumi doing her best Nelson from "The Simpsons" impersonation. Having said that, I expected something a little more adventurous from DSign Music as their first track for Kumi. In the end I do enjoy the fuzzy synths quite a bit and Kumi sounds to my liking in the verses and pre-chorus. I can see how some might find this middle-of-a-road, however, I didn't think this would be the first one to go from "Bon Voyage". The lyrics are about partying it up, so the whole "laughing out loud" thing is kinda out of place here:

If beckoned, then take one step forward

I'm sure you're beyond the point of no return to hear the beat
    You lucky
    Yeah yeah

Tonight the beat's mesmerizing, that's right
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Right, I won't restrain you if you leave
    Go with the sound, heads too are shaking
    Tonight the beat's mesmerizing, that's right
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Right, if you wanna see, then always
    Go with the sound, even louder

(c) @otenkiame

So who's laughing now, Kuu?

@Yeziirl (2) was not laughing listening to this, "remove that annoying laugh from the song and I will reconsider my score, seriously it just ruined the whole song..."

@abael (3) payed attention to the lyrical content, "Peak English Lyricism."

At the same time @Cutlery (3,5) payed attention to the technical aspects of the song, "Was this mastered with a potato? Sorry but Kuu sounds AWFUL here and the Uncontrolled leftover production does not help"

@otenkiame (6) couldn't let the laughing bit go, "Another track that I want to like more, but find Kuu's vocal delivery to be irritating. I feel like this electropop song could've been a bop, but that demonic laugh delivery Kuu serves is not what I'm here for. I know she's trying to be sassy/ironic or whatever, but I'm not buying."

As couldn't @Eskiath (6), "I don't think I have ever seriously listened to this song after hearing the cringe that is the opening line but it's actually not that bad, only ruined by the constant 'hahaha laughy out loud'."

We should all learn from @Music Is Life (9,5) and laugh along the track, "This song actually did make me laugh in a good way. It also made me want to move and dance and sing and get my life to it. So much fucking fun."

Kumi performed "LOL" during "Bon Voyage Tour".
    The performance had a pretty cool thing with the monitors going on.

14. Awful sing, deserved x

15. Awful grammar two, apparently.

16. I just realized I haven't watched like more than a half Kumi's music videos, hm...

otenkiame and evilsin like this.
  17. [​IMG]
    SUPERSTAR

Average: 6,56
    Highest scorers: 10x1 (@Music Is Life), 8,5x2 (@Ana Raquel, @RUNAWAY)
    Lowest scorers: 2x1 (@Eskiath), 3x1 (@Osiris)
    My score: 8

5 voters: #82, 5,40 avg.
    10 voters: #78, 5,65 avg.
    15 voters: #74, 6,53 avg.
    18 voters: #75, 6,56 avg.

We're back to eliminating songs from "UNIVERSE", but for how long? Written by Kumi and composed by Figge Boström (Mizrock's "Hello Me!" and subsequently Girls' Generation-TTS' "Holler") and Johan Lindman (Charlotte Perrelli's "Gone Too Long"), the track was used to promote the release of "UNIVERSE" and received a music video along with "You're So Beautiful". This is just some cute little fun, don't know why some of you were so against it. Comparing it to some other tracks, this one isn't as overtly cute as others and Kuu sounds really engaged here. The guitar and the catchy hook give me some summer vibes and that key change is very welcome. The music video was also pretty cute with Kumi teleporting all over the place. Lyrically, this is about taking it to the next level in the relationship and the longing of being the one to your loved one:

When will the two of us make progress?

If I just keep asking the stars
    I won't be able to become it...
    It's still a dream to be your superstar

I wanna be, I wanna be, I wanna be
    your superstar and
    I wanna be, I wanna be, I wanna be
    "I don't want to leave, I need you when I'm tired"
    I always want you to keep me around
    It's still a dream to be your superstar

(c) @otenkiame

Your thoughts?

@Eskiath (2) doesn't want Kumi to be their superstar, "Ew"

It appears @Cutlery (4,5) needs something a little sharper, "The I WANNA BE I WANNA BE's are so annoying... elsewhere this is a misfire, trademark Kumi cutesy track(TM)"

@otenkiame (5) got under Kumi's spell, "Hey, look, there's cute Kuu. It's sickeningly cute and sweet to the point that I should naturally loathe this...But I don't? Like, don't get me wrong, Kuu's sweet vocals aren't my favourite, yet the song is lowkey fun and playful in ways that keep me from outright hating it. Damn it, Kuu!" That's how it all usually starts, yup.

@abael (7) looks at the song in terms of the album, "One of the better tracks of Universe, it's improvements in composition are notable, but it's still a pretty unremarkable track." And yet you gave it a 7.

@Weslicious (8) has seen the light, "I’m rarely that big on her cutesy tracks, but this isn’t too overdone and is rather endearing." Yes, bask in its glory!

Finally, @Music Is Life (10) appreciates every single thing about this, "Love the intro, that guitar is amazing. Oh this is so great, especially the production. A second listen made this a 10 (was 9.5). The A Capella outro is great too!"

If memory serves me right, this was only performed during the "UNIVERSE Tour", sadly, there is no video of it online that I can link to.

18. Now, this song reminds me of Hanna Montana for some reason.

Music Is Death, otenkiame and evilsin like this.
  19. It's been a while since I've checked, but I believe she has well over 150 videos at this point, dddd. I remember I used to marvel at every single new one she would put out, but now I would say that some of them worth checking out.
    I haven't heard a single song, so I can't really comment on this.

20. Good riddance!

otenkiame and evilsin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.