The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020 | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Which short track / interlude deserved a full version?

1. Prologue to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Interlude to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Introduction ~JAPONESQUE~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Interlude ~JAPONESQUE~

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Introduction ~Bon Voyage~

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Let's show tonight

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Interlude ~Bon Voyage~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Ballads and cute Kuu bleeding tracks. We love her least appreciated types of songs!

otenkiame, vague and evilsin like this.
  2. So will the ballads and cute tracks cull end or not? We'll find out tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  3. LOL out WTF? One of my favourite tracks from Bon Voyage, yes I wasn't too sure about a song called LOL or the laugh at first but now I love it!

Sadly this is true! I'm still debating whether to go for the CD or CD + Blu-ray version of Re(cord). I'd love it if Avex would upload the full versions of all her PVs though!

evilsin, Music Is Death and otenkiame like this.
  4. I'm kind of with the consensus that her cute songs and ballads in this part can go without me considering them a casualty, but we're all in agreement that she finally perfected the cute schtick with Love Technique and are sending it to the Top 10, yes?

Yeziirl, evilsin, mi|kshake and 2 others like this.
  5. [​IMG]

Yeziirl, evilsin, vague and 1 other person like this.
  6. Maybe cause of Supergirl?
    OH MY GOD change this right now. Or wait for my Miley rate.

Also, why is everyone so mean to the songs?

evilsin likes this.
  7. [​IMG]
    I never had any interest in her Hannah Montana material for some reason. We'll see, I might take part in you rate.
    They are just trying to be funny or not, I don't know, I'm not them.

Weslicious, vague, abael and 3 others like this.

8. Of course, it won't.

[​IMG]
    For you

Average: 6,60
    Highest scorers: 9x2 (@vague, @Music Is Life), 8,5x1 (@lalaclairi_)
    Lowest scorers: 3x2 (@Cutlery, @Yeziirl), 5x1 (@Coming Century, @Weslicious, @Ana Raquel)
    My score: 8

5 voters: #65, 6,40 avg.
    10 voters: #68, 6,00 avg.
    15 voters: #71, 6,62 avg.
    18 voters: #74, 6,60 avg.

And another extra bites the dust. Written by Kumi and produced by Yamaki Ryuichiro ("Winter Bell", "Hurry Up!"), the song is a b-side on "Gossip Candy". It's the only track not to get a music video or a product tie-in of any kind on that release. This is pretty sweet and kinda both a little different and a little the same for Kumi. I appreciate the tight harmonies and that little guitar sprinkled all throughout. Despite me giving this an 8, this had no right being almost 6 minutes long. I mean, I don't really notice as I'm being enveloped in this warmth, but others might find the length daunting. The lyrical content of the song is about loving each other flaws and all:

I have more flaws than you do

But you love me, saying that that's me
    You accept all of me
    You feel too same
    So after this, for you all the time

Forever after this
    I hope we'll walk together and you'll gaze at
    the beautiful future with me
    Baby, take my hand
    I quickly shed tears
    and I may bother you, but
    now I'm grateful
    for the miracle of meeting you, for you
    (c) @otenkiame

So did y'all feel the warmth?

We'll start with @Cutlery (3) who is shade AF, "This goes on forever... this is the type of big vocalist pop ballad from the 90's that does not fare well without a super strong vocal performance, bc its sound is dated outside of that. Therefore, I have no need for this from Kumi" EXCUSE ME, SIR, KUMI SOUNDS GREAT HERE, OKAY‽

@Yeziirl (3) tried being cute, "not for me, sorry!" You should know that @Weslicious is the king of puns over here, okay?

@otenkiame (6) thought he heard this all before, "A soft R&B track with water drops. Can't escape those. I'm just gonna go out and say that this sounds like the other multitude of tracks in her discography like this. Not bad, not great. Squarely in the middle, but cute and full of love, so there's that." I still can't put my finger on it, but I don't feel it's that similar, okay?

No need to go far for @abael (7) to question the harmonies, "One of KK’s more interesting performances. It sounds great, but at times it doesn’t even sound like her. She either has a great range or great producers." She's no JLo, she sang this herself, okay?

We have a voice of reason in @Eskiath (8), "It's nice and I've always liked her understated ballads. Really long though." Just more to love, okay?

It's all about the liquids for @Music Is Life (9), "I like the water dripping sounds in this sweet little ballad." I don't know those sound a little bit dry to me, it's no "Tsuki to Taiyou", okay?

This one remains to be performed live.

Also, kii at Kumi having "you", "For you" and "All for you" in her discography.
    Time to record "ALL" and "4" for the full collection.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  9. you >>> For you > All for you

10. Can't really argue with this. Though neither song could touch "you" if they even tried.

"For you" is no loss. A b-side through and through.

abael, RUNAWAY, mi|kshake and 2 others like this.
  11. [​IMG]
    Choi Tashi Life

Average: 6,68
    Highest scorers: 10x1 (@vague), 9,5x1 (@Music Is Life)
    Lowest scorers: 1x1 (@Eskiath), 3x1 (@Osiris)
    My score: 7

5 voters: #77, 5,80 avg.
    10 voters: #80, 5,55 avg.
    15 voters: #79, 6,32 avg.
    18 voters: #73, 6,68 avg.

"Dejavu" is back to lose another of its cuter tracks. Written by Kumi and composed by Nakazaki Hideya ("anytime"), the song was used as a theme song for the "Choi Tashi Cooking" segment of the "Oneigai! Ranking" TV program. As our lovely translator extraordinaire @otenkiame explained:

I have a bit of an issue with this one, as I tend to forget how it sounds all the time. Once I press "play", I immediately recall the song though. Weird. Anyhow, this is one of those happy summer songs along the lines of "With your smile" and "girls", only a bit worse. I don't even consider this one of the Kumi's cute tracks, still I don't really care for it going now. Oops. Let's get back to the lyrics, provided by @otenkiame, shall we?

That's right, even if you've gotta exert yourself

power up so it goes well with you!
    You don't have to change! Just mixing it together is fine!!
    Oh baby
    We'll have them take
    all of your true self
    There's no time to say you're scared!
    (c) @otenkiame

On to the commentary we go.

Why don't we ask @otenkiame (5) about his thoughts on the matter, since we mentioned him so many times already, "This track started out so promising with that opening instrumental, but then Kuu had to sour things by putting on her cute vocals. It's not overtly cute, though, so I can cut it some slack, and I guess the hook's aren't all that bad. I'm mostly here for the instrumental bits, though."

@Eskiath (1) are brusque with their score, but I'm not mad, "Literally my only memory of this song is that it's the definition of filler." Lemme be clear, I'm not mad yet.

@Weslicious (4) couldn't muster up any pun for this one, "This is just so cheap and uninspired."

Meanwhile @Yeziirl (5) practically nails it, "it sounds like a typical jpop song any other artist adds as the b side track for their album."

Although @abael (8) found the sound to his liking, "This retro J Pop backing is charming as hell. Little gem of a track in my opinion."

The overall lover of music @Music Is Life (9,5) noticed a piano? "Love the piano in this, and love how it becomes a dance banger." Hm, I guess those are some really plink-plonky keys.

For some reason avex was stingie with the full performance, when they uploaded this.

12. Run!
    Back!
    To!
    You!
    Right!
    Now!

You know what I mean

[​IMG]
    Bambi

Average: 6,72
    Highest scorers: 10x1 (@Music Is Life), 9x1 (@RUNAWAY)
    Lowest scorers: 3x1 (@Yeziirl), 3,5x1 (@Osiris)
    My score: 8

5 voters: #70, 6,10 avg.
    10 voters: #77 5,85 avg.
    15 voters: #70, 6,63 avg.
    18 voters: #72, 6,72 avg.

Hey, "Dejavu", don't go, stay for a little longer. Let's eliminate one of your songs as well while you're here. Written by Kumi, Australian twin sisters act NERVO (quite a few songs for Namie) and a couple of Swedish producers Anders Bagge (Madonna's "Get Together") and Andreas Carlsson (Katy Perry's "Waking Up In Vegas"), the track was composed by the latter four. These producers managed to work with literally everybody, so this is a true international fruit of labour. The song was used to promote the album, meaning it got a music video, which is one of Kumi's best, really. The quirkiness, the light-heartedness, the cuteness of it all. I also remember how some past friends used to tell me that the guy in the video reminds them of me, dddd. I love this and looking back should have given this at least half a point more. The slight honky-tonk feel of the song really contributes to its playfulness, not to mention the melodies in the chorus are catchy as hell and the middle 8 is a clear highlight. Moreover, Kumi's enunciation in this is so spot-on. So the lyrics? They're about Kumi becoming shy and timid in front of someone she likes:

I'm madly in love with you

Baby I'm crazy for you
    Though we'd be an unlikely couple
    Baby, I can't stay scared!
    A miraculous chemical reaction happens!
    I'm a baby Bambi
    (c) @otenkiame

Only those who liked this had anything to say about it.

@otenkiame (7) is an adult and can admit without any hesitation, when he likes something, "I get slight country vibes from this pop/rock tune. Despite the somewhat cute overtones, I find myself enjoying this quite a bit. I mean, those hooks are infectious as nothing else; I find myself easily singing along to them. I won't even let that "I'm a baby bambi" line ruin things for me, either."

@abael (7) makes me think, "Interesting composition choices, J-Country? Fun track overall." Hmm... only Nishino Kana comes to mind with a couple of her singles, when it comes to country. Can't recall anyone else at the moment.

@Cutlery (8) paints a vivid picture, "Super strange to have a country number out of the blue like this, but I'm here for it?? The small electronic sprinkles really sell this as a unique listening experience. Kuu, chamaleonic as can be, effortlessly gives us horse girl, merely a yeehaw away from living in a farm in Utah"

@Music Is Life (10) is enamoured, "OOF such a bop. That electric guitar is perfection. Love the music video too, which it was longer. Also, do you know how hard it is to sing along to a seriously catchy chorus when you don’t know what you’re saying?" Practice makes perfect, so don't give up.

Kumi performed "Bambi" on "Dejavu Tour", "The Artist" concerts and on TV.
    Let's watch a performance from Music Station.

13. [​IMG]

The sheer originality of this song, the nerve, the talent, the charisma, WHEW

vague, abael, otenkiame and 4 others like this.
  14. It's literally bop after bop after bop. There are a few ballads though, but a lot of the songs are well written. Most of the Hannah songs will be optional as well, so you don't have time to listen and rate them it's fine.
    And they're unsuccessful at being funny.

Yeziirl and evilsin like this.
  15. Can't say I will miss those songs.

Love Technique is her best cute song.

mi|kshake and evilsin like this.
  16. I have to agree, but how far will it go in the rate?
    [​IMG]

Weslicious, vague, abael and 2 others like this.
  17. Everyday you can do it

[​IMG]
    faraway

Average: 6,74
    Highest scorers: 9x3 (@Remorque, @lalaclairi_, @Music Is Life), 8,5x1 (@me!)
    Lowest scorers: 4x1 (@Cutlery), 4,5x1 (@Ana Raquel)
    My score: lookie above

5 voters: #70, 6,10 avg.
    10 voters: #68, 6,00 avg.
    15 voters: #67, 6,68 avg.
    18 voters: #71, 6,74 avg.

We're back, back, back again to the extras and ballads. Written by Kumi and produced by Shiokawa Mitsuki ("Kimi Omoi"), the track served as one of the b-sides for Kumi's and her sister misono's joint single "It's all Love!". It was also featured on the soundtrack for a dance movie "Subaru", starring Kuroki Meisa YATH! This is so relaxing and dreamlike I couldn't give it a low mark. It gets especially nice, when the production picks up halfway, although I wouldn't mind cutting the very first chorus to make this a little less sloggy at the beginning. It's also always a little forgotten due to its placement only on the single, when it doesn't really deserve this fate, especially considering how none of you lot gave it a truly low score. Then again, no one gave it full marks as well. Guess it's okay to stay where it is, dddd. Lyrics-wise this is about believing in yourself and finding a place in a world where you would feel the most confortable:

I want you to try becoming one

with the wind when you don't understand
    Close your eyes, extend your hands, and sharpen your senses
    Because something will come into view

So faraway - you hesitate over something
    but you'll find a future just for you
    I promise you - even now you're searching
    for your own place from the darkness of loneliness
    You can do it, I'm sure
    (c) @otenkiame

So did y'all think?

@Yeziirl (5) wanted more of the second part of the song, "I like the dynamic, especially towards the 3:30 mark, which In my opinion should have been the main pace of this song." I kinda agree, although that part would be as rewarding have the whole track been like this.

@otenkiame (5) quotes me on every single Kumi song ever with his first thought, "There was a time when I lived for this track. Not entirely sure why, but it's not like it's particularly bad, I just find it to be boring now. It's pretty, yes, but it kinda goes nowhere." It's still nice every once in a while, no?

It appears @abael (6) has a bit of a issue with the language, "Production or vocals needs to go above and beyond with foreign language ballads to be worth your time. This is a nice track, but it hasn’t given me a reason to listen to it over similar tracks." I wonder if the language barrier narrative is going to come up again in the rate, hm...

@lalaclairi_ (9) blesses us with a rare comment, "I'm not the biggest fan of her ballads, but this is nicely done." It surely is.

And lastly @Music Is Life (9) lives for the production yet again, "Love the production on this, and the way it builds. I love the drums especially and the gorgeous little elements throughout."

Surprisingly, Kumi performed this a couple of times on TV.
    Starts at 4:15, but I won't stop you from watching this "BUT" performance first, if you wanna.

18. TOP70

[​IMG]

Step Into My World
    Can We Go Back
    SUPERSTAR
    You're So Beautiful
    Lick me♥
    Work It Out!
    No Way
    Stay
    Comes Up
    Physical thing
    ECSTASY
    UNIVERSE
    It's all Love! / Koda Kumi x misono
    Alive
    (12/14)

[​IMG]

POP DIVA
    Lollipop
    Okay
    Aitakute
    Passing By
    AT THE WEEKEND
    Melting
    Hey baby!
    Choi Tashi Life
    Anata Dake ga
    Suki de, Suki de, Suki de.
    Bambi
    I Don't Love You !??
    (10/13)

[​IMG]

So Nice feat. Mr.Blistah
    Boom Boom Boys
    V.I.P.
    Slow feat. Omarion
    Brave
    Everyday
    IN THE AIR
    You are not alone
    ESCALATE
    Love Me Back
    No Man's Land
    Ai wo Tomenaide
    KO-SO-KO-SO
    Lay Down
    Love Technique
    Poppin' love cocktail feat. TEEDA
    All for you
    (14/17)

[​IMG]

SHOW ME YOUR HOLLA
    LOADED feat. Sean Paul
    Winner Girls
    Imagine
    Koishikute
    LALALALALA
    TOUCH DOWN
    CRANK THA BASS feat. OVDS
    LOL
    Go to the top
    Dreaming Now!
    On Your Side
    U KNOW
    (12/13)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ienai yo
    0-ji Mae no Tsunderella
    Megumi no Hito
    BE MY BABY
    Pink Spider
    Shake Hip!
    Lovely
    Jounetsu
    (08/08)

EXTRAS

faraway
    Hashire!
    Good☆day
    Inside Fishbowl
    Outside Fishbowl
    For you
    Got To Be Real
    Black Candy
    Say Her Name
    Make It Bump feat. Koda Kumi / Far East Movement
    Stands Up feat. Koda Kumi / Clench&Blistah
    Whatchu Waitin' On?
    darling
    Alone
    IS THIS TRAP?
    XXX
    ENGAGED
    IT'S SO DELICIOUS
    (14/18)

Love Deluxe, vague, Osiris and 6 others like this.
  19. Okay, so today's my borther's mother-in-law's birthday and my friend's birthday, so I'm off to celebrate. Hopefully we'll crack Top70 tomorrow evening. Will it be another ballad or another cute track?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    vague, mi|kshake, Yeziirl and 4 others like this.
  20. Poor Choi Tashi Life... weird to see me rate a song higher than the host.
    It will.

vague likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.