The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020 | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Which short track / interlude deserved a full version?

1. Prologue to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Interlude to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Introduction ~JAPONESQUE~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Interlude ~JAPONESQUE~

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Introduction ~Bon Voyage~

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Let's show tonight

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Interlude ~Bon Voyage~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. I know No Way's time is about to be over, but for Kuu it was very

[​IMG]

vague and evilsin like this.
  2. Pretty rough run of eliminations recently.

vague, Yeziirl and evilsin like this.
  3. I Don't Love You is bad but Anata Dake Ga & Love Technique?! The fuck is wrong with you people?!

evilsin likes this.
  4. Well deserved 2 points!

5. You're both wrong.

Weslicious, vague and Music Is Death like this.
  6. Woohoo my 11 made top 30! Y'all appreciate talent and have some taste!

vague and evilsin like this.
  7. Wait, it’s still not 8 average?

evilsin likes this.
  8. Nope, because y'all hate me and Kumi.

9. Not all of us xoxo.

vague, evilsin and Yeziirl like this.
  10. GO! GO! GO!

[​IMG]
    28a
    Work It Out!

Average: 7,99
    Highest scorers: 10x2 (@Weslicious, @Music Is Life), 9x3 (@Ana Raquel, @Remorque, @RUNAWAY)
    Lowest scorers: 4,5x1 (@Osiris), 7x5 (@Coming Century, @abael, @Yeziirl, @Eskiath and @me!)
    My score: lookie above

5 voters: #54, 6,80 avg.
    10 voters: #34, 7,50 avg.
    15 voters: #27, 7,90 avg.
    18 voters: #28, 7,99 avg.

It's been a while since we heard from "UNIVERSE", 18 tracks, to be exact. Also, not you blocking 2 whole tracks from that coveted 8+ average with just 0,01 of a point. Written by Kumi, Nina Ossoff, Dana Calitri (both worked on Orianthi's "Think Like a Man") and our beloved Tommy Henriksen and produced by the latter, the track appeared on "UNIVERSE" as one of the newer album tracks. The rockish bop is full of guitars and light synths, which work quite nicely together. This could've been really big for me, if it wasn't just for one little thing called "the chorus". I don't know what happened, but here it's just kinda plain even with Kumi's adorable attempts at growling. I needed it to be more impactful for me to give this a higher score. Other than that, this is good. The verses have great pacing and choppy delivery, while the middle 8 is flying off the handle with Kumi letting it all out. The lyrical content is about the hardships of life and one's will to fight back:

If this is the bottom now, then I'll crawl up

I mustn't forget
    my true strength

If I cry
    then I'll be playing into their hands
    (c) @otenkiame

Who's she gonna punch?

Would you look at that, I'm agreeing with @abael (7), "One of the more promising starts, but this track needs a tighter chorus to really increase the tracks impact."

For some reason I thought @Yeziirl (7) was a bigger fan, than he actually is, "that’s my first time hearing this, and it’s ok, even for a rock song."

@Eskiath (7) shares my thoughts on the chorus as well, "I love the playful sound of the instrumental during the verses but the chorus doesn't go the way I would've liked. Still good though."

@otenkiame (8,5) appreciated the overall package a little more, "A fantastic pop/rock song! There's something about this that works all around and always has for me. Those fist-pumping, powerful hooks have got all the makings for what I imagine would be a fun live setting. And, yeah, I just love the hooks in general: A great message and infectious energy." Yeah, the message is great, especially with that "taking no shit" attitude.

And at this point probably @Music Is Life (10) understood, that no genre is safe when it comes to Kumi, "THAT GUITAR! THOSE DRUMS! She pairs with rockier type songs so fucking well, and this is no exception. What a banger."

@Weslicious (10) didn't even pun about this, "I love this. Definitely one her more 'different' songs." But he did make me think that this is indeed a tad different even to her other rock songs.

Kumi performed "Work It Out!" live during "UNIVERSE Tour" and "Dream Park Live" performances. Thanks to someone very kind we can see the second one here, although I bet this link is going down after you all watch it, dddd:

This also contains the rehash of her performance for "Got To Be Real" if you wanna check it out.

Yeziirl, vague, abael and 6 others like this.
  11. We love a genre hopping singer don't we girls?

vague, Yeziirl and evilsin like this.
  12. Baby, I'm on your siiiiiiiiiiiiide
    hontou wa So am IIIIIIIIII
    Baby, I'm on your siiiiiiiiiiiiide

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    28b
    On Your Side

Average: 7,99
    Highest scorers: 10x3 (@Osiris, @vague, @Eskiath), 9,5x1 (@Music Is Life)
    Lowest scorers: 5x1 (@Coming Century), 6x1 (@abael)
    My score: 9

5 voters: #33, 7,60 avg.
    10 voters: #29, 7,70 avg.
    15 voters: #31, 7,85 avg.
    18 voters: #28, 7,99 avg.

BABY, I'M ON YOUR SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE~ Written by MOMO"mocha"N. (a lot of songs for Kuroki Meisa and Miura Daichi) and produced by Kipp Williams (nothing worth mentioning) and Kyle Shearer (Carly Rae Jepsen's "Fever" and "Julien" !!!), the track is one of the newer ones that appeared on "Bon Voyage". This is a cute little ditty, isn't it? I'd say it's a tad faceless, despite Kumi bringing her ace performance and mochA writing great lyrics. There is something missing, that's preventing me from giving this a full score and I can't put my finger on it. Oh well, I still bop and I still feel warmth coming from this. I like how subdued this starts with just the beat and that quiet synth and how bigger and fuller the chorus sounds especially by the end. Moreover the flow from the second to third chorus is quite unusual and refreshing. Speaking of lyrics, Kumi rarely lets anyone else write her songs, but it still happens from time to time. mochA is one of the most popular lyricsists these days and I generally like what she writes. Not to mention her own solo stuff is great.

No one is looking, so

if you shed tears
    then I'll at least say it loud:
    Ohh baby I'm on your side
    You're too used
    to fighting alone everyday
    Don't take it upon yourself
    Ohh baby I'm on your side

(c) @otenkiame

Are y'all on my side or what?

Guess @Yeziirl (7,5) hears what I'm hearing too, "it sounds like a cover of some basic western song, but it’s a good one"

@otenkiame (8) felt this one, "Quite a nice midtempo with a wonderfully laid back vibe to it. It's got a lot of inspirational lyrics to it, too, which I appreciate. I can imagine this being like one of those songs at a live that you'd hold a lighter to while listening." What, lightsticks are too modern for you?

They say tastes differ, but so do ears. @Remorque (8,5) hears some influences in this that I don't, "At first I wasn't really impressed, but after repeated listens that chorus fucking slaps. She gives us a great performance and I like the little dancehall flavours to the production."

We're finishing with @Eskiath (10), who reminds everyone that sometimes a song needs some time and a right moment to flourish for the listener, "So I had barely ever listened to this because of the album it was on, but one day I played my entire library on shuffle and this came on and I really appreciated it and it's such a chill but happy song and it's been one of my fave Kuu songs ever since!" The amount of times I've returned to something and liked it a lot more than on the first listen...

Guess Kumi doesn't really like this herself, as it was never performed live.

Weslicious, vague, abael and 6 others like this.
  13. Next up in the rate are 27 cream of the crop songs that deserve 8+ averages according to you.

14. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Two of her best.

evilsin likes this.
  15. On Your Side is so underrated. My jam.

16. Bless @vague for coming back from his mini-hiatus and giving me 40+ likes to all the posts and eliminations that he missed.

Speaking of, I wanted to ask y'all - why some of my elimination posts have fewer likes than the others? What is the prerequisite of you giving a post a like or not? I mean, I'm not that thirsty for likes, I'm just wondering, because I always like every single elimination post myself in the rates that I'm taking part in, because I realize the amount of work put into it.

17. I might forget to put a like because I’m in a hurry. But I enjoy all the writeups, thanks for your work!

18. Oh, oh, no way, oh, oh, kimi ni todoke!
    Oh, oh, no way, oh, oh
    Oh, oh, no way, oh, oh, kimi ni todoke!

[​IMG]
    No Way

Average: 8,00
    Highest scorers: 10x7 (@Remorque, @vague, @Cutlery, @otenkiame, @Love Deluxe, @Music Is Life and @me!), 8,5x1 (@Yeziirl)
    Lowest scorers: 5x2 (@abael, @Coming Century), 6x2 (@soratami, @Osiris)
    My score: lookie above

5 voters: #44, 7,20 avg.
    10 voters: #39, 7,35 avg.
    15 voters: #39, 7,60 avg.
    18 voters: #27, 8,00 avg.

Welp, this is the end for ballads. At least this gorgeous one made it to an 8 average, but #27 is too damn low to say goodbye to our last ballad. Written by Kumi and produced by U-key zone, the tracks served as a newer album track on "UNIVERSE". Let me begin by salivating while I praise U-key zone as one of my all time favorite producers. His penchant for a boppy mid-tempo laced with the most beautiful and gentle and unusual beats, synths, claps and whatnot is outstanding. To me his style always sounded like he took the best R'n'B tropes and put them through blender with his own samples. He is responsable for quite a handful of amazing pieces of music such as ICONIQ's "Light Ahead", Goto Maki's "Mine feat. KEN THE 390", BRIGHT's "Kotoba ni Narenakute", Miura Daichi's "The Answer", Kuroki Meisa's "So Smooth" and "Say Good Night☆". I can go on and on, because basically all the songs he created are freaking major. I'm so happy that Kumi worked with him at least once. Now that this is out of the way, to the track in question. "No Way" is so goddamn sublime. Every single sound is perfect here, every little ad-lib, every "oh" and every word are laid out to perfection. One of the main properties of U-Key zone's productions is that at first they start kinda slow and laid back, but by the end of the song you are so wrapped up in the warmth of it all, that you don't want it to end. Hence, why I never had any problem with its length. Fun fact - people thought Kumi bought Lady Gaga's "No Way" demo, when the tracklist for the album got announced. That would've been something, but I'm so happy we got this one instead. Lyrically, this is about a crumbling relationship:

Oh, this wound can't be healed by anyone else

Oh, I should've been able to get over it by now
    Remember once again
    the couple we always used to be
    Don't leave me behind

Never let you know, no way
    I'll send my honest feelings directly to you
    Never let you know, no way
    I want to say the words "I love you", let them reach you

(c) @otenkiame

What a beauty.

I think people are going to riot, @abael (5), you better get ready, "Ballads were always going to be a hard sell to people who don't understand the language they are being sung in. As far as I can criticize this song, it seems to be boilerplate album filler. Could have outstanding lyrics, but I somehow doubt it." I don't understand this logic. So the lyrics in up-tempos don't matter as long as it bops? Outrageous. It sounds like you try to find something to support your dislike for ballads. Balladophobia at its finest.

Guess the track failed to envelop @Eskiath (7) in love, "Kinda nice but the instrumental is a bit grating after a while combined with the fact it goes on way too long." That's the point of it though, too bad it didn't work on you.

Our resident ballad-hater @Yeziirl (8,5) managed to like this one! "despite being a ballad I like this song. Its interesting without going to extremes and makes me quite emotional. However, it's long as fuck!" Shush, enjoy, while it lasts.

The handclap expert @Music Is Life (10) was mesmerized by the beauty of the track, "This is such a great mid-tempo. I love the production, especially the – wait for it – handclaps. She sounds great too, I love her voice." YAS.

@otenkiame (10) notices, "Despite being an R&B track, there's something so different and fresh about "No Way"! It's by far one of my favourite ballads from her, and still holds up strong all these years after its release. I love the emotional input Kuu gives: It's just the right amount! And the chorus really comes alive with all the synths and that keyboard too! Wonderful song!!" It's the genius of U-Key zone coming through, that's what it is!

Lastly, @Cutlery (10) is in a full stan mode, "Bitch... this specific brand of noughties R&B Kuu sings over in a heartbroken tone caught me COMPLETELY offguard. The synth bass, the characteristic use of two or three piano chords repeated over and over, the way those GLORIOUS synths climax all over my face in the chorus. She makes you feel her desperation, touch starvation and need to connect with her lover in this era of miscommunication and isolation. And to top it off, some deep, gorgeous strings enrich the background production. One of my favorite discoveries in Part III" GOD, THOSE STRINGS IN THE MIDDLE 8!

Kumi performed "No Way" during her "UNIVERSE Tour" and then once again at her "Dream Park Live" concerts. Lucky us that the video from "Work It Out!" elimination has that perfromance.

Weslicious, vague, abael and 6 others like this.
  19. No way IS the best ballad out of part III!

mi|kshake, vague, Cutlery and 2 others like this.
  20. And now that y'all ousted it, it's officially so.

Weslicious, vague, abael and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.