The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020 | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

The Koda Kumi Rate: Part III, COMPLETE. See you in Q1 2020

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by evilsin, Aug 19, 2019.

?

Which short track / interlude deserved a full version?

1. Prologue to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Interlude to Dejavu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Introduction ~JAPONESQUE~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Interlude ~JAPONESQUE~

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Introduction ~Bon Voyage~

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Let's show tonight

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  7. Interlude ~Bon Voyage~

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. [​IMG]
    Melting

Average: 5,82
    Highest scorers: 9,5x1 (@Music Is Life), 8,5x1 (@RUNAWAY)
    Lowest scorers: 2x3 (@otenkiame, @Weslicious, @Osiris), 3x1 (@Yeziirl)
    My score: 5,5

5 voters: #83, 4,50 avg.
    10 voters: #83, 4,80 avg.
    15 voters: #83, 5,72 avg.
    18 voters: #82, 5,82 avg.

What a trooper for clinging to the last place to the very end, only to be beat by "All for you", dddd. Written by Kumi and produced by Mori Daisuke (MBLAQ's "Still In Love", IZ*ONE's "Target", quite a few songs for Kubota Toshinobu), the cute ditty was used as a theme songs for a winter sale campaign by a retail company Sogo & Seibu. Get that coin, I guess. Where do I start with this? For years I've been dreading this track. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the melody coupled with the way Kumi sings the line "la la la melting chocolate" is so damn grating it becomes annoying. For some reason Kuu decided to go all out cutesy on us here and it feels. I'll admit, that I warmed up to the track a little over time, as the overall melodic component of the chorus has a catchy quality to it, but at the end of the day, the result is still subpar to me. It also kinda irks me that they used this as a promo track for the album and it got some tracton with fans. The lyrics aren't actually as obnoxious as you might expect from a song sounding like that:

Lalala melting chocolate

The bittersweet is proof of us
    Lalala melting chocolate love
    Let's mix our different loves
    until they melt together

Lalala melting chocolate
    Tears bring out the taste at times
    Lalala melting chocolate love
    It's still a marble pattern now
    but someday I'm sure
    we can be as one!!
    (c) @otenkiame

Welp, it looks like the sugar was to sweet for most of us.

@Weslicious (2) doesn't want to go to the dentist, "Can a song give you cavities? This sickly thing is trying it’s best." I don't blame him, nobody likes dentists.

Meanwhile @otenkiame (2) has the same thoughts on the track as me, albeit in harsher tone, ""Lalala melting chocolate" and I hit skip. I find this to be the absolute epitome of everything I hate about her cute songs. And I hate that I actually get this song stuck in my head at times. Ugh...this should've stayed a b-side as originally planned."

@Yeziirl (3) is one of those, who can't hold their sugar, "I had a sudden urge to vomit from the first second, It’s a bit harsh, but I hate this song, sorry…"

@Eskiath (6) shows his Kumi knowledge, "The song is not as trash as I remembered but the remix is amazing btw!" You're right, it's a lot better.

At the same time @abael (8) gives a bit of perspective on the song, "Would be a standout, save for the fact it just doesn't suit KK that well. Her voice has a harsh quality that is a nice point of difference versus many of her jpop peers, but this song is clearly meant for one of them instead." I appreciate this take, as I noticed the vocal issue as well.

Looks like @Music Is Life (9,5) has a sweet tooth, "Besides bopping my ass off and loving the production – especially that guitar! – the only thing that ran through my mind was “mmmmm chocolate.”"

God bless avex for uploading some of her performances officially.

Remorque, abael, Osiris and 7 others like this.
  2. Y'all....really? I love songs like this, and knowing the backstory I love it more!

Remorque, vague and evilsin like this.
  3. This is not going to be a fun rate for me.

4. All for you might've been pretty decent with a proper studio version so the end product is only more... disappointing
    Melting got a 5 from me but it lowkey deserves to rot!

5. [​IMG]
    Make It Bump feat. Koda Kumi / Far East Movement

Average: 6,24
    Highest scorers: 10x1 (@Music Is Life), 9,5 (@Osiris)
    Lowest scorers: 1x1 (@Cutlery), 4x1 (@abael)
    My score: 8

5 voters: #62, 6,50 avg.
    10 voters: #64, 6,20 avg.
    15 voters: #76, 6,48 avg.
    18 voters: #81, 6,24 avg.

Talk about unexpected! Released as a bonus track on the Japanese edition of the album "Free Wired", "Make It Bump" was written and produced by the members of Far East Movement, and it came out of nowhere. Yeah, at this point we had a couple of surprising collaborations, like "LAST ANGEL" with Tohoshinki and "That Ain't Cool" with Fergie, but this was something else. Kumi has a pretty small part in the song, still she sounds good and I can see myself getting the fuck down to this in a club, what a stomper! It is as dated as it gets though in all its 2010-2011 club banger glory. As @Osiris would say:

Your commentary reflects the randomness of this track happening.

Our lowest scorer @Cutlery (1) is sharpening, em, himself, I guess, "I hate myself for bobbing my head up and down to the horrendous stock will.i.am beat. Kuu is barely in this anyway and it's the same thing repeated twice, so let me use that to rightfully drag it by its roots" No will.i.am!

Speaking of him, @Eskiath (5) hears it as well "Never heard this before! She sounds amazing but ehh at the song. Why does it sound like Black Eyed Peas?"

@abael (4) isn't much of a fan either, "Far East Movement unsurprisingly overcook another tracks production. This song isn’t pleasant, but it’s not due to KK." I like how you called Kumi "KK" everywhere in your commentary.

@Weslicious (5) has a piece of advice for Kumi, "Get that 'featuring' cheque and run!" RUN FOR YOUR LIFE KAGAMI NO NAKA NO JIBUN MISTSUMETE BURASU SHIKOU DE!

@Yeziirl (5) just thinks it's "random."

@otenkiame (6) can't quite recall, "I can't for the life of me remember what made Far East Movement so popular, and honestly can't be bothered to look up what song it was. Anyway, not enough Kuu. It's kinda a trashy song, but not horrible. Just seems like it's the same thing over and over." LIKE A G6! LIKE A G6!

And apparently @RUNAWAY (6,5) doesn't hear Kumi's vocals as we do, "I feel like they autotuned her vocals DOWN. She’s barely recognizable on this song, and...um...it’s by Far East Movement, so I don’t see myself every returning to this one." Good that no one is asking then, right? Wait, I think you listened to the pitched down version on YouTube, you should listen to this one:

And no live performances for this. Figures.

Remorque, Yeziirl, Weslicious and 7 others like this.
  6. Good riddance! It really is a will.i.am sounding song dd

7. I'll give you and myself a bit of a break to read through the eliminations and discuss and will return to crack the Top80 in the evening.

8. As always, you're doing great already.

On the topic of Melting being her worst song, it's funny because its average doesn't even scratch It's a Small World, A Whole New World nor Kamen dd

9. Um...I extremely overscored this one. Oops.

Remorque, abael, vague and 1 other person like this.
  10. So... @Remorque is going to come and say that he likes the eliminated song more at least a couple of times as he does and you're going to claim that you're overscored some. Great.

11. Oh no, not some. Just this one. I listened to it when I was stoned and for some reason that was the only one I listened to. Which is why I gave it a 10. Remind me to only rate songs sober.

12. Cue me sobbing while rating the entirety of "A Star Is Born" OST for the Big Pop Girls rate after I had a few glasses.

Remorque, Weslicious, RUNAWAY and 2 others like this.
  13. Or me jamming to Lover after smoking a blunt.

Remorque and vague like this.
  14. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Only I would find a pitched down version of a song and rate that one.....thanks @evilsin. I listened and I hate the regular version too though, so that didn’t help.

15. My only zero being the first out? Taste! It sounds like the song was recorded in my bathroom.

16. this happened to me, too dd

17. It kinda does.
    This what happens when an altered version gets more views.

18. Wait? What? Why?!

Mess.

evilsin likes this.
  19. So, is 83 All For You's position, or the /kbps it was compressed in?

Great start guys!

Remorque, mi|kshake, RUNAWAY and 3 others like this.
  20. Where are your likes though?

Remorque, abael, Weslicious and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.